Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christchurch and new zeland in general?

Options
  • 10-01-2012 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

hey guys just wondering is there much of a demend for labours in the construction sector?also is the whv the same progress as applyin for the oz visa ie 5000 in the account .and also is the cost of livein in nz mre the oz? thanks in advance rj :-D reason i ask is a mate in work said would i not go to nz and it go me thinkin lol.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 canadian exile

I just arrived in christchurch two weeks before christmas and there isn't much construction going on yet, if on the other hand you are willing to work demolition labour you will be hired so long as you have a pulse and can stand up.
    Even though the city center and eastern suburbs are destroyed it is a great place to live, the upbeat attitude of people here would put the whingers at home to shame.
    The earthquakes take a bit of getting used to and i garauntee you will nigh on ****e your pants during your first big one but you get used to the little ones and theres nothing you can do about them so theres no point worrying.
    If you decide to head over this direction give me a shout and I,ll show you round the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Yeah, it'll be another few months yet before we're ready to start the rebuild, things are still coming down sloooowwwwly at the moment... But I moved to Chch from Ireland in 2007 and love it here - still love it here.

Shouldn't be too hard to get a WHV at all, and places like 0800 LABOUR and coverstaff etc should be able to find you some work without too much effort at all if you've got some qualifications/experience.

Cost of living... I'm not sure... depends on your lifestyle, I've found.. Stuff like the bus will never cost you more than $21 a week if you get a metrocard and there's lots of fresh fruit and veg shops that are about a third of the price of the supermarket (and much tastier), teh vast majority of people I know opshop and there's lots of outdoor sports and activities to enjoy which are completlely free. Also a pretty sweet music scene happening, but tends to be a bit invite only, cos it's all houseparties since the venues have all fallen down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Said it many times here. CHCH is one of the best places in the world to live. Havent been there since the earth quake but when I was there a few years ago I had a blast. If you are an outdoor person you will be in heavan. Kiwi's are generally positive people in general.

I'll agree to that, and add that the positivity in Chch is even better since we discovered the whole community banding together thing post-quake (not that there's not a whole lot of misery and issues going on, but I've been seriously impressed).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭RJ59

Hey thanks so much for all your great comments.
    Could maybe any of ye recommend a good hostel to stay at as I will be traveling on my own it be greet to find somewhere to meet other people my own age 20-25 lol. .is there much of a irish population That age in christchurch?
    also regards to jobs what is the minimume wage? And how would I go about geting a job is it a recruitment agency I go through and is there many ? I love watersports esp fishing :-D
    sorry for all the questions just great to know there's few people out there on this atm ;)

• Advertisement

Mods sorry for the plus between words in last comment ,
    I am only allowed write a certain amount when I am am using the phone.
    Just another few quick questions do u think I would have a reasonable chance of geting a job I will do anything have three years and three months done of an electrical apprenticeship but can't get to finish it off, and would the wage be enough to live on?
    I don't smoke and drink feck all, is it agencies that u go through for work ?
    That's all really oh one last thing I saw its recommending
    to have 4200 whats that in euros?
    Thanks again and I await your replys if any :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod I have edited your post, I know you have said before it's your phone, but come on ... enough of the short spelling e.g. dat, ur, tink.

and surely you can look up what 4200 is in euro? hint http://www.xe.com

Sorry mam I will try and use proper grammer from now on ;-)..and i admit the money part I was haveing problems accessing the website off the phone as I don't have a laptop but thanks for that link dude :-D

RJ59 wrote: »
    Hey thanks so much for all your great comments.
    Could maybe any of ye recommend a good hostel to stay at as I will be traveling on my own it be greet to find somewhere to meet other people my own age 20-25 lol. .is there much of a irish population That age in christchurch?

Was reading in the paper today actually that the local GAA football has swollen from 300 members to 350 in just the last couple of months, I think they're starting upa 6 week social league or something, apparently your age group is exactly what's coming in in droves at the moment. Can't help with hostels, but I've not heard a whole heap of shocker horror stories and Christchurch hospo are going all out at the moment to keep their jobs.

also regards to jobs what is the minimume wage?

About $13-13.50, I think.
    And how would I go about geting a job is it a recruitment agency I go through and is there many ? I love watersports esp fishing :-D
    sorry for all the questions just great to know there's few people out there on this atm ;)

Well, what are you skilled or experienced at? www.seek.co.nz is the best jobs site, also places like trademe.co.nz or other sites like that, otherwise, the newspapers and a quick google/yellow pages will show up recruitment agencies in the fields you work in.

There's definitely lots of fishing near to Christchurch - I'm not sure how many of the rivers are sewage free after the systems got munted in February, but they've been opening more and more waterways to the public in the last few months.
    RJ59 wrote: »
    Mods sorry for the plus between words in last comment ,
    I am only allowed write a certain amount when I am am using the phone.
    Just another few quick questions do u think I would have a reasonable chance of geting a job I will do anything have three years and three months done of an electrical apprenticeship but can't get to finish it off, and would the wage be enough to live on?

I don't know what the regulations are like for not having your full certificate done, but you'll be able to get a job if you apply for enough stuff...
    I don't smoke and drink feck all, is it agencies that u go through for work ?

Same as anywhere, really, agencies or ads.
    That's all really oh one last thing I saw its recommending
    to have 4200 whats that in euros?
    Thanks again and I await your replys if any :D

About two grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 canadian exile

Op let me know what area of construction you have experience in and I'll see if i can help you out. I work for John jones steel and have some pretty good contacts in the construction industry ( my parents were rescued by the owner of John jones after feb 22 earthquake that's how I got a job out here) some of them might be useful for you

• Advertisement
Advertisement