Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'The Saturday night show' Audience

• 10-01-2012 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi all...
    Myself, my wife and Brother/wife going to be in the audience for Brendan O'Connor's 'Saturday night show' this saturday, just wondering what to expect in terms of atmosphere etc...
    We were told to arrive between 8 & 8.30 for free wine reception and all that..
    Anybody else in here been at it?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭rich1874

Anybody else in her been at it?

I never touched your wife

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Jayo11780

u sure? she's been sore the last while :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Jayo11780 wrote: »
    Hi all...
    Myself, my wife and Brother/wife going to be in the audience for Brendan O'Connor's 'Saturday night show' this saturday, just wondering what to expect in terms of atmosphere etc...

Don't let the tumble-weeds hit you. And bring some earplugs so you don't have to listen to the canned laughter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

atmosphere meh, ya get wine and wait around like as if your queing then go in and clap like a seal when asked too.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Birdlover

I have been before and its a good atmosphere there was a comedian there to humour us while we were waiting for the show to start and we thought he was brilliant!! :) the wine is horrible tho!! and when we were there the white ran out early.... But the show itself is interesting :) Enjoy yourselves :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

just wondering what to expect in terms of atmosphere

Similar to the moon....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Hi all...

Cheers

One question. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I dont watch Brendan O'Connor, and I dont drink wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Hi all...

Cheers

Firstly... I assume that somebody forced you to apply for audience ticket with a gun to the head of your first-born, who will no doubt be held hostage in the green room while you sweat and clap at the inanity of it all like a North Korean at a Kim parade... otherwise ...why? Just why?

Or Secondly,If that is not the case don't you have to ask youself this, 'if a free glass or of wine can tempt you into the audience for Brendan O'Connor's 'Saturday night show' (the only reason that I assume you would either mention it or attend) Isn't it time you admitted that you had a problem'?

I can only assume you (and none of your party) have never

1) watched any of that useless fat fcuk on any tv before
    2) have never read an article written by him

This would be very strange but ye might just be that lucky.

Otherwise ye must be either:

1) masochists
    2) a little bit retarded

It's a testament to how crap a show is when they have to ply the guests with drink to get them to find the show funny...I wonder do people wake up the day after the show with a horrible hangover feeling the same as if they'd got pissed and slept with a pig?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I think you should expect that afterwards you will want to throw your body over a high building

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

God help you OP, that's all I can say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

you should have held out for graham norton.

good luck at the borefest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

You're married to your brother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

wouldn't even dream of going to that show, o'connor is a tosser. it shows how bad the talent at rte when he has a chatshow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭sophieblake

Hey if Op wants to go what of it. Every experience is just that whether good or bad. Why is everybody so negative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

If the OP would be so kind as to take a bottle from the wine reception and repeatedly bludgeon Brendan O'Connor with it until he stops twitching, Ireland will be a (slighty) better place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Why is everybody so negative

Probably because of that gobshíte who presents it. Or failing that because of RTE's almost perfect track-record for producing irrelevant television.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I have nothing really against Brendan O' Conner as such. But his "interview" with Johnny Vegas a few weeks ago was toe-curling stuff though.

I've thought before, watching that show, that the audience is more than a little pizzed - bawdy would be the word I'd use, making up their own smutty jokes during serious bits.......don't leave us down OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

Hi all...

Cheers

I always thought that the the brendan o connor show was just an ad for celebrity big brother and that the audience was just a load of cardboard cutouts of people with dots for eyes, or a load of people drawn onto the back wall of the studio. Didn't realise it was real and that people could go to it. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭bordsie

Hi all...

Cheers

:I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'd rather sit and watch vomit slowly drip down a wall than look at that squashed potato head talk to some irrelavant socialite.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭gemma188

ebixa82 wrote: »
    One question. Why?

I suppose you'd prefer if the OP and his wife stayed on a Saturday night moaning on internet forums and being a keyboard warrior by making abusive comments towards Brendan O'Connor and other "Celebs"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

gemma188 wrote: »
    One question. Why?

I suppose you'd prefer if the OP and his wife stayed on a Saturday night moaning on internet forums and being a keyboard warrior by making abusive comments towards Brendan O'Connor and other "Celebs"?

I'd much prefer he did that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭cml387

When the camera is on you on Saturday night, can you make the Secret Boards.ie Sign so that we can recognise you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Hi all...

A talentless-egomaniac-being-supported-by-a-TV-service-full-of-the-kind of nepotism-and-cronyism-thats-fucked-up-this-country-kind-of-atmosphere.

Ask him for some property advice while you're there.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

Where is all the New Year cheer gone to, Brendan is a great guy.

mikehunts wrote: »
    Where is all the New Year cheer gone to, Brendan is a great guy.

Hi Brendan.

No, you're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

I can only assume you (and none of your party) have never

1) watched any of that useless fat fcuk on any tv before
    2) have never read an article written by him

This would be very strange but ye might just be that lucky.

Otherwise ye must be either:

1) masochists
    2) a little bit retarded

It's a testament to how crap a show is when they have to ply the guests with drink to get them to find the show funny...I wonder do people wake up the day after the show with a horrible hangover feeling the same as if they'd got pissed and slept with a pig?

RTE usually ply every guest for every chatshow with wine. The Late Late, Tubridy Tonight / Saturday Night Show, Podge & Rodge and all similar shows have (had) free wine beforehand.

Just so you know your licence fee is going to good use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

I was there last year and everyone in the audience seemed to enjoy the show. Pity some of his guests are not a bit better though, but I suppose we are only a little island and not everyone famous in the world comes here that often. He is better that Tubridy on a Friday night anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭gemma188

mccarte2 wrote: »
    RTE usually ply every guest for every chatshow with wine. The Late Late, Tubridy Tonight / Saturday Night Show, Podge & Rodge and all similar shows have (had) free wine beforehand.

:rolleyes:

I'm actually surprised it took 30 posts before someone mentioned the licence fee

mccarte2 wrote: »

Personally I'm happy that people being subjected to Tubridy or O'Connor are being provided with some insulation against the pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

I'm going too OP!

I'm heading with my sister and a few friends, just something to do on a quiet Saturday night in January sure.
    Anyone know if they still give out prizes to the audience?? I don't watch the show but a friend was in the audience last year and got a bag of turf! Nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

saggycaggy wrote: »
    I'm going too OP!

I'm heading with my sister and a few friends, just something to do on a quiet Saturday night in January sure.
    Anyone know if they still give out prizes to the audience?? I don't watch the show but a friend was in the audience last year and got a bag of turf! Nice!

Leave your valuables at home. I hear Antony Worrall Thompson is on it this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

You're going to Brendan O' Connors chat show?

I'd rather sit in a burning room watching Mrs Browns Boys....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Paul Martin will be on Saturday night too.

OP, bring Napalm. Lots of Napalm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Myself, my wife and Brother/wife

Polygamous incesteous bisexual marriage?

You see, this is what happens when the church loses control of Irish society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I'd rather sit and watch vomit slowly drip down a wall than look at that squashed potato head talk to some irrelavant socialite.

I doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

Some serious over reaction to someone going to a chat show here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Does the camera really add 400 pounds?

• Advertisement

Polygamous incesteous bisexual marriage?

You see, this is what happens when the church loses control of Irish society.

I reckon anybody with a brother-wife would be an ideal guest on that show.

Lowest common denominator, car crash TV.

Shows like this make me happy to feel guilt free about never paying a TV licence, I'd rather fund the Taliban than fund RTE and that clown*

*(slight exaggeration to reinforce point)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Birdlover wrote: »
    I have been before and its a good atmosphere there was a comedian there to humour us while we were waiting for the show to start and we thought he was brilliant!! :) the wine is horrible tho!! and when we were there the white ran out early.... But the show itself is interesting :) Enjoy yourselves :)

Wonder is it the same guy who does it for the saturday night show with Miriam.
    Dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

I reckon anybody with a brother-wife would be an ideal guest on that show.

Some current/ former chat show hosts seem to have quite a bit of knowledge on wifebrothers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Some serious over reaction to someone going to a chat show here.

Calling it a chat show is pushing it a bit in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

He’s from Cork, you know? He may mention it to the audience…..once or twice. He’ll definitely tell each guest, but you may not hear it clearly enough so he’ll tell the audience again…..he’s from Cork. It may be just a phrase, sneaked into an otherwise, non-hometown-based topic, but he will manage to put the words “Oim frum Cark” into even the tightest parking spots. Unfortunately, there are no audience prizes for spotting the “Oim frum Cark”, just the joy of discovering that the tw@t is from Cork. He is, you know? From Cork like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

I always thought the audience was made up of people who were convicted for not paying the TV licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Why would anyone do that? The 'so bad its good' thing was over 20 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Hi all...

Cheers

If Social Services find out they may remove you from your family. :D But seriously, why inflict this on people you love?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

MetalDog wrote: »
    If the OP would be so kind as to take a bottle from the wine reception and repeatedly bludgeon Brendan O'Connor with it until he stops twitching, Ireland will be a (slighty) better place.
    Think for a moment about who they would replace him with.

One of there other celebs could be bumped up into the slot.

What I want to know is, how will we recognise you ???? will you go topless? or will you stand up constantly and shout BOARDS>IE :))))

ye better do sumtin to entertain us....;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement