Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 142

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Lads everybody is overlooking one thing.............

Maybe his missing weight (significantly) is a product of an injury in training.

If this is the case, it could be HIM going in at a massive disadvantage.

In any case, it's a complete disgrace and i'll be absolutely bulling if he goes out there and beats Vitor by out muscling him! Or wins at all.

Complete joke. 20% of the purse is not enough. And unless he has a proper excuse (lol at Roy Nelson's excuse, as if nobody in his camp knew how to convert from KGs) he needs to go, win lose or draw!

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Shazbot wrote: »
    It's a consistent thing with Palhares. He keeps many submission on too long. Here's a recent one from ADCC after he was told to stop for going out of bounds, he cranks the heel hook.

He stated before that the reason he holds onto subs after a tap was due to his coach losing a match because of a "ghost tap".

I do believe that he has been seeing a sport Psychologist in an effort to help him focus in the cage and overcome his weird behavior, As in the Marquet fight and the fight where he jumped on the cage thinking he'd won. Met him in Dublin when they were here. He is really nice guy. Doesn't speak a word of english.

Anyone know if the prelims are will be on UFC tv again?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

liger wrote: »
    Anyone know if the prelims are will be on UFC tv again?

I heard that at least some prelims are going to be on facebook (thats from UFC UK twitter) but they said nothing about UFC.tv

If I was to guess I'd say the whole lot will be on UFC.tv as well

CageWager wrote: »
    I heard that at least some prelims are going to be on facebook (thats from UFC UK twitter) but they said nothing about UFC.tv

If I was to guess I'd say the whole lot will be on UFC.tv as well

There's 1 fight on Facebook (the first one) then a 4 fight Prelim Show on FX in the states (normally i's a 2 fight show on Spike, this portion is on UFC.tv).

I really hope the FX show is on UFC.tv!

A little more on the Johnson debacle!

RIO DE JANEIRO – Dana White today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that he's "beyond pissed" at Anthony Johnson (10-3 MMA, 7-3 UFC) after the fighter came in 11 pounds overweight for a bout with Vitor Belfort (20-9 MMA, 9-4 UFC) at UFC 142.

The UFC president said Johnson came within a pound-and-a-half of the 186-pound limit allowed for non-title middleweight fights but was forced by a doctor to rehydrate because "he couldn't make it."

Now, Johnson is fighting for his job, regardless of whether he wins or loses the co-main event fight, which takes place Saturday at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro.

"His job is on the line," White said. "His job is absolutely on the line, win or lose."

White's explanation for Johnson's miss differed sharply from the fighter's representative. Johnson's manager, Glenn Robinson, today told Yahoo! Sports that the fighter fell ill three hours before weigh-ins and was instructed by UFC doctor Jeff Davidson to put fluids back into his body. Those fluids pushed Johnson to 197 pounds. (Robinson declined comment to MMAjunkie.com.)

"Complete and absolute unprofessionalism – that's what happened," White said. "There's no other way it can be explained.

Johnson was fined 20 percent of his "show" purse. It's the third time he's come in over weight in the UFC: At UFC 76, he fought Rich Clementi at a catchweight of 177.5, and at UFC 104, he fought Yoshiyuki Yoshida at 176 pounds. Against Yoshida, he was also fined 20 percent of his "show" purse.

However, the penalty for this infraction could be much worse.

Source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Denners.ie

"Complete and absolute unprofessionalism – that's what happened," White said.

I think Dana sums it up perfectly, Johnson tried to cut too much weight in too little time and it rests solely on his shoulders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I don't think many will have sympathy for Johnson, if he gets cut. There are guys who cut a lot more weight and never come in over weight.

Rogan said this week, (pretty sure the countdown show) that Johnson is much happier at MW because he can eat more. Maybe he took the weight cut for granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

On the bright side, 'weight gate' rolls off the tongue a lot easier than a lot of the other 'gates'...

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

What time do the prelims air?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

jayteecork wrote: »
    What time do the prelims air?

Half 12 I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Dana is really really REALLY pissed

i'd stake my house that win or lose Johnson will deservedly get canned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Pin_Cushion

Supposedly Johnson had to stop cutting weight because he couldn't feel his legs. How on earth can he have so much trouble making 185lbs but yet has fought so many times at 170lbs :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

scudzilla wrote: »
    i'd stake my house that win or lose Johnson will deservedly get canned

Not if he wins.

If that was the case then, whats his name Alves would be long gone from the UFC.

If Johnson has a good reason for not making weight, and apparently he does, then he won't be cut.

It's gonna happen every now and again.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Dana is really really REALLY pissed

Didn't seem that pissed to me.

lol at Belfort eating his towel though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Dana loves sh1t like this. Belfort and Rumble are now getting more interest than the main event.

loremolis wrote: »
    Not if he wins.

If that was the case then, whats his name Alves would be long gone from the UFC.

If Johnson has a good reason for not making weight, and apparently he does, then he won't be cut.

It's gonna happen every now and again.

Dana has said, can't find the link, that he didn't believe Johnsons excuse, and this isn't the first time he's missed weight, happened on at least 2 other occasions IIRC, also he didn't just miss it, he was almost in another fcukin weight class!!

This could have scuppered one of the main fights on the card involving the home favourite Vitor.

I think Dana will bin him as a warning to others

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭welchy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

Dana has said, can't find the link, that he didn't believe Johnsons excuse, and this isn't the first time he's missed weight, happened on at least 2 other occasions IIRC, also he didn't just miss it, he was almost in another fcukin weight class!!

This could have scuppered one of the main fights on the card involving the home favourite Vitor.

I think Dana will bin him as a warning to others

I hadn't seen that.

If it isn't fight of the night then I guess Johnson has a problem.

loremolis wrote: »
    I hadn't seen that.

If it isn't fight of the night then I guess Johnson has a problem.

I think it'll take a miracle to save his job. Dana likes to make a point and make an example of fighters to warn everybody else that nobody is safe. If you fúck up on a scale as big as this then you deserve to be cut imo.
    At this level of competition then you could excuse it happening once or maybe twice, but when a guy has missed weight twice before and then moves UP in weight and misses it by a country mile, then his career has to be in question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

whats the deal with the towel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

pauldoo wrote: »
    whats the deal with the towel?
    I think there's ice in it and he chewing on it to keep a small bit of water in his system during the cut. It's an awful experience so sucking on small amounts of ice really helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

whats the deal? is it going ahead?

whats the deal? is it going ahead?

Yeah it's goin ahead. I'd say he won't be in great shape though as he weighed in at 204.5 or something at noon today. I'm no expert but to me that looks like he was keeping an eye on it and probably didn't get to re-hydrate as much as he'd have liked.

That being said, I think Vitor is a far better fighter and would have beaten Johnson either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

johnson is in a tricky position now, i think his plan would be to take vitor down, now if he takes vitor down and its a boring fight hes not doin himself favours with dana and the potential chop. he seemed to be pointing at his leg/hip at the weigh ins when he was talking to dana, must have been injured to **** up so bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

yeah I agree Phenom is a different pedigree of fighter .... in fact at his best prob on the top 20 all time MMA fighters list...
    but AJ is a wrecking ball when he's in the mood ....and it takes a quality performance to stop wrecking balls no matter what so Vitor better be ready to let them hands go...sharpish

So here we are...... prelims about to start........... and does anyone STILL not have any idea as to whether the 5 fight FUEL TV section of the show will be on UFC.tv or not?

I bloody hope it is?

MrStuffins wrote: »
    So here we are...... prelims about to start........... and does anyone STILL not have any idea as to whether the 5 fight FUEL TV section of the show will be on UFC.tv or not?

I bloody hope it is?

Yeah they are on UFC.tv
    Whats the story with the facebook prelim? Is it still on at half 12?

Edit: Just to clarify, according to UFC.com, there's 2 facebook prelims and 4 on UFC.tv

And facebook prelim starting now btw

Dean09 wrote: »
    Yeah they are on UFC.tv
    Whats the story with the facebook prelim? Is it still on at half 12?

Yeah, broadcast just started. I thought it was on at 12 for some reason

Edit: Funky new "UFC on FX" theme music

Rio DAY janeiro :D

• Advertisement

Rio DAY janeiro :D

I saw an ad on ESPN where they had a clip of GOldie cut in saying Rio DE Janeiro

It was obviously some sort of cheap Goldberg impostor!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Can't believe Rio is only 2 hours behind us. Going to be a very late night for everyone over there.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Can't believe Rio is only 2 hours behind us. Going to be a very late night for everyone over there.

Yeah Dana was saying in the blog that Vitor wouldn't be getting into the ring until 3am :eek:

So what's the rules for the drinking game tonight lads?!

Drink every time Goldie says Rio DAY Janeiro

Drink every time they say the crowd is amazing

So what's the rules for the drinking game tonight lads?!

Drink every time Goldie says Rio DAY Janeiro

Drink every time they say the crowd is amazing

Drink everytime Rogan says "CRAAAZY"

Whats with the new clock?!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Drink every time they say:

"He needs to be careful in this position"

"This is an incredible match-up"

"The lovely Chandella and Arianny"

"In front of his home crowd" :pac:

Whats with the new clock?!

They must be showing this on FX? Coz the graphic said "UFC on FX", unless they're using this Facebook pre-lim to test it out?

Great first round. Very close round actually but i'll say:

10-9 Carvalho

For fúck sake Goldie is bangin on about soccer already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

They must be showing this on FX? Coz the graphic said "UFC on FX", unless they're using this Facebook pre-lim to test it out?

10-9 Carvalho

AjJ5i0TCMAIdXx2.jpg

10-9 Carvalho

First 2 fights are on Facebook, then four on FX in the USA.

A round a piece?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

"The lovely Chandella and Arianny"

"In front of his home crowd" :pac:

We want them drunk, not dead :p

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    First 2 fights are on Facebook, then four on FX in the USA.

Ok I got confused as I thought it was Fuel TV in the States.

Also, isn't there only 5 prelims? 1 on Facebook and 4 on tv?

http://mmajunkie.com/event/869/ufc-142-in-rio.mma

Good fight.

29-28 (at least) for the hometown lad!

• Advertisement

Great first fight. 1 win in the bag for the home crowd I think

Ok I got confused as I thought it was Fuel TV in the States.

Also, isn't there only 5 prelims? 1 on Facebook and 4 on tv?

http://mmajunkie.com/event/869/ufc-142-in-rio.mma

I thought there was going to be 2 fights on Facebook :( Evidently not :(

ufc.tv ftw

There ya go Facebookers, one fight. What the point of that was I'll never know. Was a good scrap all the same :pac:

There ya go Facebookers, one fight. What the point of that was I'll never know. Was a good scrap all the same :pac:

Probably just to do with times on FX. a 2 hour broadcast makes slightly more sense than a 2.5 hour broadcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

Are the rest of the prelims being streamed live on ufc.tv? I'm getting a 6 hour countdown for the prelims there when they should be starting soon enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement