Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 142

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Tweet from Yves Edwards - "Jose Aldo must be Portuguese for Holy Fück"

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

unknown13 wrote: »
    Rogan, its round 1 shut up about soccer

Seriously it's beyond ridiculous!

Soccer kicking is nothing like martial arts kicking and it's typical bs from Joe and goldie-they get crap in their heads and never let it go

Even if it was in a match you'd only kick the ball very hard a small number if times, far far less than he would in muay thai training so let's put this soccer bs to bed! As usual it's Joe trying to make himself sound more knowledgeable than he is

With that little rant over-enjoyed the event and delighted Vitor got justice, now might watch some soccer now to improve my kicking technique!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

I had a 20 euro accumulater on Belfort Barboza Aldo Palhares and SILVA. sick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Dunno if its been said but not readin through the whole thread. Disgraced with Rogan callin Yamasaki out in live and questioning his stoppage. Looked like some clear shots to the back of the head to me and he warned him. The last thing we need is referees doubting themselves. That leads to Yves Lavine style stoppages when a referee isnt 100% sure of what hes about to do. Rogan pisses me off more and more with every card I watch. "Soccer is the best sport for conditioning your legs to throw kicks" Im sure quite a few guys from thailand would disagree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 llcolj

Dunno if its been said but not readin through the whole thread. Disgraced with Rogan callin Yamasaki out in live and questioning his stoppage. Looked like some clear shots to the back of the head to me and he warned him. The last thing we need is referees doubting themselves. That leads to Yves Lavine style stoppages when a referee isnt 100% sure of what hes about to do. Rogan pisses me off more and more with every card I watch.

All joking aside I think he should be in trouble for that-doing that to an official is way out of order, and he did hit him hard several times in the back if the head anyway so he was wrong in the 1st place also.

cowzerp wrote: »
    All joking aside I think he should be in trouble for that-doing that to an official is way out of order, and he did hit him hard several times in the back if the head anyway so he was wrong in the 1st place also.
    Dana came out sayin he was robbed too. I think the UFC were planin on babyin Silva and building him up. Lookin at the records did that fight really make sense from a match making point of view. When things dont go to plan Rogan and Dana are always right and everyone else is wrong :rolleyes:

The last two events Rogan and Goldie have just been pissing me off.
    Soccer player=/= Muay Thai master.

I know Rogan trains with Eddie Bravo and he's done TKD but he really is getting ahead of himself with the play by play.

They really need some variation in the announcing, it's gotten so stale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Dunno if its been said but not readin through the whole thread. Disgraced with Rogan callin Yamasaki out in live and questioning his stoppage. Looked like some clear shots to the back of the head to me and he warned him. The last thing we need is referees doubting themselves. That leads to Yves Lavine style stoppages when a referee isnt 100% sure of what hes about to do. Rogan pisses me off more and more with every card I watch.

That was downright disrespectful behaviour from Rogan there

I think the ufc have a superiority complex. It's like they're a law unto themselves. Rogan was an absolute out of order towards Yamasaki. Who in gods name is Rogan to doubt, and belittle a referee like that in front of thousands of people, and on live tv. It's a real, "oh I'm with the ufc, we are the law" attitude. I was really disgusted with it i have to admit. It's stuff like that, that will always have it behind boxing as the number 1 contact sport

Back on topic, Aldo will have to fight Edgar now, be it at 145 or 155, both men have basically cleaned up their divisions, so a unification is the best option for mma in general

Oh, and I'm chuffed Johnson was both beaten, and then cut from the ufc, what an unprofessional fighter he is

It's unfortunate that he was going to win if he was not sloppy, but he finished the fight using illegal blows and the ref should be credited with doing his job and not pandering to the fans etc

Well done ref, rare I credit these lads in the UFC but this while unpopular was right.

Back on topic, Aldo will have to fight Edgar now, be it at 145 or 155, both men have basically cleaned up their divisions, so a unification is the best option for mma in general
    I think theres still a few fights for edgar at 155. Nate Diaz being one of them. But edgar and aldo will happen in the next year. If edgar loses his title he will drop to 145. If not aldo will come up

Edgar's defended once against BJ and draw and beat Maynard. How is that cleaning out the division?

He still has to beat Henderson next then the rest of that absolutely stacked division.
    You have Diaz, Miller, Guillard, Guida, Pettis, Cerrone, Lauzon who are all fighting eachother for a shot at his belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Is there gonna be a press conference for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

:confused::confused::confused:

If there's EVER been a division that hasn't been cleaned out it's the 155 division!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭nino1

the johnson belfort fight got stood up way too quickly twice.
    Johnson could have done alot of damage from top and really worn belfort out.
    can't believe it's not being talked about more. its disgraceful.
    i mean i'm glad belfort won and i know alot of people don't like johnson but can you imagine if GSP gets stood up that quickly. There would be uproar and we probably would have a difrferent ww champ.
    I'm not against standing fights up but it has to be consistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I just finished watching the rest of the fights there. It was a really enjoyable event overall.

Aldos finish and celebrations were fantastic. But the highlight of the night for me was that incredible KO of Etim. I just cant stop watching it over and over!

I have to say though, I think Aldo should've had a point taken for holding the fence. It looked like he was gonna end up on the mat with Mendes on top of him and that could've resulted in a totally different outcome. But then with Aldos outstanding takedown defence you never know what could've happened.

Regarding the Silva DQ, I have to be honest, when I saw it I said they were illegal blows. My interpretation of the illegal "back of the head" shots would be anything behind the ears. If thats true then Mario Yamasaki got it spot on.
    Interesting article on mmafighting.com about it too, and a part of it is this:
    I don't know what the precise rule on strikes to the back of the head is, and neither do you, and neither does anyone. No one knows because there is no precise definition of "back of the head." Some referees use the term "mohawk," meaning the back of the head is an inch-side strip right in the middle of the back of the head, the area that would be covered by a mohawk haircut. Other referees use the term "earmuffs," meaning the back of the head is a larger area that includes everything that would be behind a pair of earmuffs.

Under the "mohawk" definition, Silva didn't hit Prater in the back of the head. Under the "earmuffs" definition, Silva did hit Prater in the back of the head.
    LINK

So it seems there needs to be a clear definition given to all referees and consistency is needed in decisions. In my opinion, the "earmuffs" definition makes the most sense. That way it's clear for a referee to see if a strike lands behind the ear and they can be ruled as an illegal blow. Whereas if the "mohawk" definition is used, it makes it more difficult for a referee to determine whether a stike landed within that 1 inch strip on the back of the head or not.
    Lately there has been a few controversial refereeing decisions and that's why I think a change is needed. I think that all the rules should be reviewed and everyone is given clear and precise guidelines regarding these rules. Then I think these newer rehashed rules should be released so everyone can know exactly what the rules entail.
    I also think all the refs should have to go on a seminar or something and have the guidelines explained to them clearly so there's no confusion. I also think similar should be done for judges.
    I know there'll always be controversial fights/decisions in the sport and that's inevitable. But if you can get everybody understanding the same rules and implementing them accordingly, them the margin for error sholud be slim.

Edit:Just to add, I think Joe Rogan was way out of line putting Yamasaki on the spot like that. It's not his job to interrogate the officials in front of everybody. He needs to be sat down and told he's a commentator and thats it. He's not part of any governing body or commission and he has no right to do what he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

i thought the strikes were ok he only hit him on the back of the head once that i could see.also why didnt he stand it up and deduct a point when he seen these supposed strikes.he waved the fight off as if silva won then waits a couple of minutes and changes his mind.terrible referreeing imo it was like watching howard webb reffin the football

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭icanplaydrums

I can't see there being a more spectacular knockout this year. I expected Barboza to win the fight easy after the first round or two but not in that fashion! Good start to the year :)

• Advertisement

The rules for behind the head is anything behind the center line that would be earphones, he landed a number of these and there downright dangerous, potential for death or brain damage with these so these rules need to be enforced.

His lack of self control cost him and the ref had warned him to watch his targets.

The rules for behind the head is anything behind the center line that would be earphones, he landed a number of these and there downright dangerous, potential for death or brain damage with these so these rules need to be enforced.

His lack of self control cost him and the ref had warned him to watch his targets.

You'd know better than me man obviously, but am i wrong in saying the Unified Rules were modified to say that now the Mohawk Rule is used? I posted a link earlier in the thread about how and when it was changed, also explaining the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭MonkeyBalls

Quality fights. The post-KO celebrations of the main event were like something out of rocky 4

MrStuffins wrote: »
    You'd know better than me man obviously, but am i wrong in saying the Unified Rules were modified to say that now the Mohawk Rule is used? I posted a link earlier in the thread about how and when it was changed, also explaining the rule.

I don't think so but it's possible I could be wrong-I know the rules used over here use the headphones and we work of the unified rule set.

Maybe we're out of date!! If the Mohawk rule is used it's very hard to police.

Here's the link.

It's actually a tad less conclusive than it should be.
    As reported in an excellent piece by MMAJunkie.com, the Association of Boxing Commissions has adopted revisions to the Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts. The change that has gotten the most press is an amendment to the "no strikes to the back of the head" rule taking some aspects of the "mohawk" rule (no strikes along the center line of the head running towards the spine) and the "headphones" rule (no strikes at any location that would be behind a pair of headphones worn on the head). The new rule uses the mohawk interpretation towards the top of the head but then widens the prohibited striking area towards the base of the neck.

i totally agreed with Yamasakis' call myself.

it was gringe worthy listening to Rogan watching the replay when he kept saying, "thats legal, thats legal ,thats legal, thats legal"

they where clearly NOT LEGAL,

since when did the referee have to answer to Mr Fear Factor???

im actually still really annoyed with Rogans behaviour last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭nino1

totally agree, rogan's behaviour was absolutley disgraceful.

it would have been completely wrong for him to do that even if the ref had fu*ked up but its even worse the fact that the ref was right.

rogan was way out of line.

I have a lot of time for Rogan but he's pulled this sh*t a couple of times lately and he's getting ever so slightly bit for his boots.

At the last event, Danny Castillo won by split decision and Rogan started by saying "You've won in controversial circumstances here" or something along those lines. What controversy? The fight has been over 2 minutes, how has there been controversy? It actually upset Castillo when he said it and rightfully so, he's not in that cage to give his unwanted opinions, he's there to interview the fighters.

Putting Yamasaki on the spot like that last night was completely out of order and he should be told so. Although for some reason i'd imagine Dana will do nothing about it. He'll probably get a pat on the back for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Stephen_King

The card ended out great to watch, some of the best finishes in ages but I cant help feeling the UFC came out of this one looking pretty bad due to the refereeing controversies.

Joe Rogan did himself no favours last night-biased, daft commentary (soccer for leg kicks?) and no way in hell he should have been allowed put Yamasaki on the spot like that. It was highly unprofessional, and I'd wager had he pulled that in America the commissions would have went apes*it. The last few strikes definitely looked illegal. It will be interesting to see how Fox view it-a few more like this and they might start pressing for changes.

Dan Mirglioatta's performance managing the Belfort Johnson fight was far shadier than Yamasaki's decision in my book. The standups and clinch breaks were too fast, stacked the fight in Vitors favour and he looked like he was going to stop it early when Vitor had Johnsons back peppering him. He looked pretty biased IMO. I was happy enough to see Vitor win but thought it just looked a pretty suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

If the ref warns you not to hit the back of the head and you continue to do so he will take a point. If the illegal strikes mean the fight can't continue then its a DQ. Simple as that. Yamasaki has a split second window from the initial warning to the following strikes to decide whether or not to step in. Fighter saftey is his main objective and he make a judgement call.

Im a big fan of Joe Rogan but I was disguisted at his post fight comments, its little things like this that are starting to give the show a WWE feel. The commentators/referees etc should be in the background, doing their job, not being part of the show. If it keeps going like this, the lads at the spanish announce table better watch their backs!

As mentioned the standups in the Vitor fight we're crazy, zero consistancy.. That was the worst bit of biased refereeing i think ive ever seen in the ufc.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Agreed with the Johnson takedowns being stood up.

It was too weird. Call me a conspiracy theorist all you want but I wouldn't be surprised if the order to kill Johnson's ground and pound game came all the way from the top.

jayteecork wrote: »
    Agreed with the Johnson takedowns being stood up.

It was too weird. Call me a conspiracy theorist all you want but I wouldn't be surprised if the order to kill Johnson's ground and pound game came all the way from the top.

The stand ups where quick, Johnson should have copped that after the 1st time-all he had to do was be busy, in fairness he was not busy at all when in guard.

2 things would have been at play either way.
    1 the missing weight so bad he was always going to have a hard time from officials even if it's subconscious

2. The local fans where very vocal and this can affect refs decision making.

And perhaps Mergiotta was of the opinion that, with Johnson being is such a state the night before, that he'd be looking for 15 mins of lying in the guard. So he made sure it didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

when i watched it i fast forwarded the interviews, didnt know he was disqualified till i seen it on mmajunkie, just rewatched it, joe rogan is out of order, yamasaki seen blows to the back the head and warned him and there were more, he didnt get to see it 15 times in slow mo like rogan, the officials should remiain out of the spotlight and out of interviews, it will end up like football with refs getting influenced by people. I like rogan but he should not have done that, very unfair on yamasaki

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Stephen_King

MrStuffins wrote: »
    And perhaps Mergiotta was of the opinion that, with Johnson being is such a state the night before, that he'd be looking for 15 mins of lying in the guard. So he made sure it didn't happen.

I would have thought the same thing, but he broke up the clinches against the cage early as well.
    Also it seems that Silva has been paid his win bonus despite being disqualified-completely undermines the refereeing...

• Advertisement

W Accum Aldo v Mendes : To Win Fight Aldo, Joe 4/11 Won
    Belfort v Johnson : To Win Fight Belfort, Vitor 5/7 Won
    Palhares v Massenzio : To Win Fight Palhares, Rousimar 1/5 Won
    Gonzaga v Oliveira : To Win Fight Gonzaga, Gabriel 10/13 Won
    Tavares v Stout : To Win Fight Stout, Sam 11/10 Lost NOOOOOOOOOOO

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Agree with the points on Rogan last night he was a joke. Questioning Yamazaki on live TV straight after the fight like that was way out of line. The soccer kick comments are also a bloody joke!
    See when Rogan asked Belfort was Johnson disrespectful by missing weight he said yes & that he had cut 25lbs in 4days for the weigh-in!!

was a great card in the end! i invited a few friends over to watch it, trying to get them into ufc so it worked out well, its the third card they've been over for, seen about 20 fights and i think 2 have gone the distance.

Aldo was class, and his celebration
    Vitor was good but looked like he was gassing, rumble defo gassed

Agree with the points on Rogan last night he was a joke. Questioning Yamazaki on live TV straight after the fight like that was way out of line. The soccer kick comments are also a bloody joke!
    See when Rogan asked Belfort was Johnson disrespectful by missing weight he said yes & that he had cut 25lbs in 4days for the weigh-in!!

im no expert, but im going to hazard a guess that some ufc fighters are cutting too much weight.

its only a matter of time until somebody gets hurt

Rogan seems like he's losing the plot.

Last time he was claiming Lesnar won the UFC belt in the toughest manner possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

im no expert, but im going to hazard a guess that some ufc fighters are cutting too much weight.

its only a matter of time until somebody gets hurt

Barry Mcguigan says in his book that when fighters cut extreme amounts of weight through dehydration etc close to a weigh-in that it leaves them more prone to a knockout. Apparently there is alot less fluid around the brain & this is not replaced straight away even after ryhydration. He thinks this is one of the reasons the Nigerian fighter Young Ali died after he went into a coma after he knocked him out in their bout.
    Johnson looks like he should be fighting at light heavy weight. What the hell did he cut when he fought Dan Hardy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

jayteecork wrote: »
    Rogan seems like he's losing the plot.

Last time he was claiming Lesnar won the UFC belt in the toughest manner possible.

No doubt he is under orders about what to say. Some of what he says is complete horse ****.

Bad time for rogan acting the maggot with the possablity of ken flo goin full time into media and and ufc signing john annik

pauldoo wrote: »
    the possablity of ken flo goin full time into media and and ufc signing

ken flo is really good in the role, I really would love to see him take over from rogan, and bas ruttens from goldie :D

Lovely addition to Terry Etim's wiki page.
    (screen grabbed in case it's edited)

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/1236/wwwhd.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Etim

ken flo is really good in the role, I really would love to see him take over from rogan, and bas ruttens from goldie :D

Thought Bonnar was good in the WEC days.

I think it's time both Goldie and Rogan left the booth.

The Strikeforce play announcer is far better than Goldberg imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

We need The Voice!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

great card overall,

while the Johnson belfort fight might have been stood up quick i didn't have a problem with it i though the last 2 times they were separated Johnson wasn't doing much.

As for rogan i didnt see any problem with interviewing Mario. from what i have seen online i believe more people are trying to side with mario just because joe interviewed him. i remember when mir fought lesnar first time and lesner got deducted one point for shots to the back of the head i rarely saw anyone defend steves decision to take a point away and said it was a stupid call, i believe its because of joe interviewing him people are trying to defend marios decision

also when belfort fought akiama i remember belfort landing more dangerous and obvious shots to the back of the head than silva did yet mario seemed to give belfot the decision (and im a belfort fan)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

i remember seeing that interview i believe belfot said it first (that it was not professional for Johnson to come in overweight) joe only followed up on what belfort said about johnsons weight cut

The Korean Zombie deserves a shot off Aldo.
    Could be a good one too, can't see Aldo losing but it could go all 5 rounds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement