Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 142

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

jayteecork wrote: »
    Thought Bonnar was good in the WEC days.

I think it's time both Goldie and Rogan left the booth.

The Strikeforce play announcer is far better than Goldberg imo.

Mir i also thought is a pretty good commentator for the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Back on topic, Aldo will have to fight Edgar now, be it at 145 or 155, both men have basically cleaned up their divisions, so a unification is the best option for mma in general
    aside from the 155 division being stacked, you can't have a unification of two weights. One would have to release their title.

I would have thought the same thing, but he broke up the clinches against the cage early as well.
    Also it seems that Silva has been paid his win bonus despite being disqualified-completely undermines the refereeing...
    That's completely standard when somebody is given a harsh decision, DQs or a split going the wrong way, when one fighter was clearly in front.

We can argue all day about ear muffs and Mohawks but at the end of the day it's very easy to find a similar finish that was not a DQ.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Hococop wrote: »
    Mir i also thought is a pretty good commentator for the future

dunno he's a small bit of a toolbag imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Barry Mcguigan says in his book that when fighters cut extreme amounts of weight through dehydration etc close to a weigh-in that it leaves them more prone to a knockout. Apparently there is alot less fluid around the brain & this is not replaced straight away even after ryhydration. He thinks this is one of the reasons the Nigerian fighter Young Ali died after he went into a coma after he knocked him out in their bout.
    Johnson looks like he should be fighting at light heavy weight. What the hell did he cut when he fought Dan Hardy?

This is a great read about cutting weight in MMA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

cowzerp wrote: »
    ken flo is really good in the role, I really would love to see him take over from rogan, and bas ruttens from goldie :D

Michael Schiavello in for Goldie

Bas Rutten in for Joe Rogan

it would be incredible!

jayteecork wrote: »
    dunno he's a small bit of a toolbag imo.

im a fan of mir and agree he talks some **** when he is getting ready for a fight but i still think he is a good commentator

I liked Mir on the WEC broadcasts but he's a tad annoying and he gets the fighters' names wrong sometimes. I remember him constantly saying "Carlos Conduct" :rolleyes:

Rogan is an excellent colour commentator by the way. But he's been getting very big for his boots the last couple of events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Rogan IS the UFC.... enough of that lark... and Goldie is GOD !

That was a fcukin amazing UFC...crowd was mental...like riot mental crazy

Palhares is a scary hulkimut warrior freakshow...that heel hook was rotten stuff
    Barboza's Spinning hook kick / wheel kick / spinning kick whatever ya wana call it was only bleedin sweeeeet.... awww the days when I could do one like that in the mirror of my taekwondo class : ) like some kind of mental balarina

Belfort was just brilliant... that AJ dude looked mad in the head...absolutely no game plan...came out swingin donkey kicks like Belfort has raped his sister....delighted for Phenom

Aldo was just Aldo...completely out classing in every way his opponent makin him look like a bum....great crowd dive though....didn't know what the hell he was doing

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Aldo was just Aldo...completely out classing in every way his opponent makin him look like a bum....great crowd dive though....didn't know what the hell he was doing

A "crowd dive"?

you not see it? or are you bein funny about pedantics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Shocking how fast AJ gassed.

he looked weird... even more donkey like than usual...weight issue must have effected him ....no excuse though... he just thought he'd go straight at Belfort and beat him up.... didn't work out... Belfort looked really good...didn't connect like you'd want to see him but he had a plan b and plan c to turn to defending takedowns, wrestling and a great active guard... showed some serious speed scooching for that armbar/omoplata attempt... as bad as AJ looked he still busted up Belfort pretty bad very quickly...guys a beast...somebody that powerful needs quality to stop them... starting to believe in the Silva Belfort eventual rematch as Belfort will dispatch the Axe murderer first round!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Good event, the crowd was great.

Re the stand-ups in the Belfort fight I'm surprised at some peoples comments, Johnson was widely criticised for his lack of activity in his last fight, I personally dont find it too surprising that the ref tried to force him to work harder on the ground this time.

On a different note is anyone else sick of the amount of Palhares nuthugging going around on the big mma forums? I have nothing against Palhares (as long as he is not doing anything bad/stupid), he's a good fighter but he hasnt beaten anyone top 10 yet and the amount of crap people are coming up with about him, every couple of threads on sherdog there is one saying he should get the next title contender fight :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Palhares is a scary hulkimut warrior freakshow...

BNIwt.png

• Advertisement

On a different note is anyone else sick of the amount of Palhares nuthugging going around on the big mma forums? I have nothing against Palhares (as long as he is not doing anything bad/stupid), he's a good fighter but he hasnt beaten anyone top 10 yet and the amount of crap people are coming up with about him, every couple of threads on sherdog there is one saying he should get the next title contender fight :rolleyes:

And the 2 times he fought Top 10 guys he got spanked.

Dan Henderson showed everyone how he's not on that level!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Somehow I feel embarrassed when Rogan just questions the ref like that on the spot.

it was embarrassing and unprofessional

Yeah but it's hard not to like the guy, when you're pull of a submission that rare in every fight then you'd quickly become a fan favourite.
    He's nowhere near contention though. It goes Munoz/Sonnen, Bisping/Maia, Okami, Vitor.
    Which of the Sonnen/Munoz, Bisping/Maia fights is for contendership btw?
    He's a long way to go. His next fight should be against a guy like Aaron Simpson or Alan Belcher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

MrStuffins wrote: »
    And the 2 times he fought Top 10 guys he got spanked.

Dan Henderson showed everyone how he's not on that level!
    Have you watched that Dan Henderson fight recently? I haven't in a while but i remember it being quite close and Henderson himself saying how tough he was.

Dude is a beast and a problem for any middlewight in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

Any link to the post fight press conference?

Cant find it anywhere online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Have you watched that Dan Henderson fight recently? I haven't in a while but i remember it being quite close and Henderson himself saying how tough he was.

Dude is a beast and a problem for any middlewight in the world.

Just took a rewatch of the Hendo fight. He didnt do the worst I guess but 1 big takedown, 1 decent submission attempt, 1 dominant position and a few mad kicks/wild strikes. Besides that it was just him getting punched a lot and failed TD attempts. Hendo never in much trouble & Palhares chin being very strong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Joe Rogan responds, full article here: Link
    "He (Yamasaki) is a great guy, and I'm always happy to see him," Rogan wrote on the Underground Forum. "When I step into the Octagon however, I represent the people watching at home that might have obvious questions, and when something is controversial I'm forced to confront it honestly because that's what I would want to hear from a person in my position if I was a fan watching it at home.

"It was obviously a controversial call, and I'm sure some of you agree with it, but I certainly think it's also possible to argue that it was a bad call. That was my perspective, so I had to express it. I'm not a perfect person, and I f*** up all the time. It's a part of life.

"I think Mario Yamasaki is one of the best in the world at refereeing MMA. No doubt about it. He's got great insight to the sport, he's a lifelong martial artist, and he's a really smart guy.

"What I was acting from, is that I saw an incredible young talent get denied a KO victory for a questionable call. When I entered into the Octagon and was told of the official ruling that Silva was going to be disqualified for illegal blows to the back of the head everyone that I was around who heard the news opened their mouths in shock. Everyone said, "What?"

"When I leaned over to explain it to Goldie (Mike Goldberg) he couldn't believe it either. I had to ask Mario about it. I didn't know how he was going to respond, but I had to ask him."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭nino1

Re the stand-ups in the Belfort fight I'm surprised at some peoples comments, Johnson was widely criticised for his lack of activity in his last fight, I personally dont find it too surprising that the ref tried to force him to work harder on the ground this time.

hold on a second, you cant base a decision to stand him up based on his activity in a previous fight.
    I think it's a good thing to stand them up in that situation but it has to be across the board. The only reason this is seen as acceptable is because it was AJ and he is not that well liked...... and it was to victors advantage and he is a fan favourite

if a rule change was implemented it would mean less boring styles like fitch, KOS etc but to stand him up in that fight was massive imo as he already had belfort hurt and could well have changed the outcome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

I think people are being a bit hard on Rogan here, his job is to interview guys and get their perspective on things and I welcome the fact that he challenged the decision as I thought myself it was an unfair decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Fear Uladh wrote: »
    I think people are being a bit hard on Rogan here, his job is to interview guys and get their perspective on things and I welcome the fact that he challenged the decision as I thought myself it was an unfair decision.

His job is to interview fighters, not interrogate referees. Does he drag Cecil Peoples into the cage for an interview every time he gives a crappy decision? Actually cancel that, there wouldn't be enough air time on the PPV...

In seriousness though, I didn't like the call and I get the impression that in hindsight Yamasaki wouldn't like it. But at the end of the day as Mario said, he has to make a call in the heat of the moment with no multiple replays and an difficult viewpoint (arms flailing about). I think the shots that bothered him were the ones that would have landed on the back of the head but were blocked by the shoulder.

It wasn't right and if I had been in Yamasaki's position I wouldn't have let him interview me.

Yup. The ref made a bad call. Sometimes the refs have to make a bad call and if it's a REALLY bad call then the decision can be overturned.

I don't think anybody really blames MArio here and everyone understands how and why the call was made, so putting him on the spot like that is a d*ck move!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I think a second official watching the monitors would be a good thing for MMA at a very high level.

I also think people are overreacting to what Rogan did...hard to term what he did "interrogation" when all he did was ask a few questions.

Some insane finishes on the card though...Pyle getting knocked out was insane...absolutely beautiful kick. And it was very nice to see Aldo return to his more classic form of finishing fights in brutal fashion.

I was very impressed with Mendes after the fight. Can't be easy to take your first loss and he gave all credit to Aldo and offered no excuses.

I also think people are overreacting to what Rogan did...hard to term what he did "interrogation" when all he did was ask a few questions.

I think interrogation is accurate. He asked Mario a question, then pushed the same question 2 or 3 times, essentially trying to force him to admit there and then that he was wrong.

Refs have enough pressure without being interviewed in front of millions like that.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I think interrogation is accurate. He asked Mario a question, then pushed the same question 2 or 3 times, essentially trying to force him to admit there and then that he was wrong. Refs have enough pressure without being interviewed in front of millions like that.

No I felt when he asked Mario, Mario was stalling and trying to drag out the answer, I find when a bad decision is given and the ref is asked the next day they usually say they didn't watch the replay yet and duck the question. I can understand people mad at Joe for doing what he did butt I saw nothing wrong with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

DrPhilG wrote: »

It wasn't right and if I had been in Yamasaki's position I wouldn't have let him interview me.

I say fair play to Yamasaki for that. Given the location and all, it was a very brave decision for him to make and he backed it up by not running out of the ring and hiding from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

AFAIK referees are allowed to watch a replay of the finish of a fight when circumstances permit i.e. something illegal during the finish of the fight.

Mazzagatti used replays when he overturned Jon Jones' stoppage of Matt Hamill to a DQ for illegal elbows.

Mario Yamasaki could have viewed replays of the finish of the fight if he wished, but he forgot he could or chose not too.

So to say referees don't have the benefit of a replay is wrong, because they do and it has been used before.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Stephen_King

No I felt when he asked Mario, Mario was stalling and trying to drag out the answer, I find when a bad decision is given and the ref is asked the next day they usually say they didn't watch the replay yet and duck the question. I can understand people mad at Joe for doing what he did butt I saw nothing wrong with it

Id imagine he was stalling because he wasn't expecting to be questioned on it-and isn't used to being interviewed in that manner. What is he supposed to say? That he screwed up? Because thats where Rogans line of questioning was leading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

At the end of the day, it's not Joe Rogans job to interrogate the ref in the cage in front of millions of people. He's paid to commentate and interview the fighters. He came back with a statement today saying he's there on behalf of the fans and he has to ask the questions the fans want to hear. That's bullshít.
    He could've just asked Silva how he felt about the decision and left it at that. There was absolutely no need to question Yamasaki that way. Especially not watching the replay and saying "That's legal,...that's legal.....that's legal...". Basically making Yamasaki look like a fool in front of everybody and putting him on the spot.
    I like Joe Rogan but he was way out of line and he overstepped the mark on that one.

nah he made the right call for the right reason...made great viewing and is responsible for silva gettin his dough..and Yamasaki wont hate... he's a pro

nah he made the right call for the right reason...made great viewing and is responsible for silva gettin his dough..and Yamasaki wont hate... he's a pro

Are you saying Joe Rogan is responsible for Silva getting paid the winners purse?? :confused:

Dean09 wrote: »
    At the end of the day, it's not Joe Rogans job to interrogate the ref in the cage in front of millions of people. He's paid to commentate and interview the fighters. He came back with a statement today saying he's there on behalf of the fans and he has to ask the questions the fans want to hear. That's bullshít.
    He could've just asked Silva how he felt about the decision and left it at that. There was absolutely no need to question Yamasaki that way. Especially not watching the replay and saying "That's legal,...that's legal.....that's legal...". Basically making Yamasaki look like a fool in front of everybody and putting him on the spot.
    I like Joe Rogan but he was way out of line and he overstepped the mark on that one.

i disagree when the decision was announced My first thought was “what the hell?” followed by “what the hell has Yamasaki seen there?” and i’m sure there were thousands of people who did exactly the same.
    Rogan deciding to ask him, was exactly what I wanted to see He simply asked why he chose to DQ Silva, before telling him he disagreed with the decision. Nothing wrong with what he did, again i said it a few posts ago if nothing was said and mario was asked the next day i feel he would have avoided answering the question like "i haven't watched the replay yet" etc.

i disagree when the decision was announced My first thought was “what the hell?” followed by “what the hell has Yamasaki seen there?” and i’m sure there were thousands of people who did exactly the same.
    Rogan deciding to ask him, was exactly what I wanted to see He simply asked why he chose to DQ Silva, before telling him he disagreed with the decision. Nothing wrong with what he did, again i said it a few posts ago if nothing was said and mario was asked the next day i feel he would have avoided answering the question like "i haven't watched the replay yet" etc.

I think you're missing the point.
    Joe Rogans job is as a commentator and to interview the fighters. He's not employed to grill the officials on their decisions. He van get the fighters reaction to a decision but NOT interrogate the ref in front of everybody and make a fool of him.
    Rogan, the crowd, and all the fans at home had the benefit of seeing the fight from different angles with overhead views etc. Yamasaki only had one angle. And obviously from that angle he deemed the punches to be illegal which is why he made the decision.

As somebody else said, he wouldn't dare drag a judge into the cage and ask him to explain himself after a fight, so why should he do it to the ref?
    If everyone had a problem with the decision then they should've waited till after the fight when Yamasaki had time to think about it and watch the replay from the same angles we all seen it.

Usually Ariel Helwani will interview a ref after a controversial decision and the ref will have had time to view the replay and explain his decision. Yamasaki had literally just made the decision 2 mins prior to Rogan questioning him about it. He was caught off guard and it was clear he was uncomfortable being questioned about it.

Are you saying Joe Rogan is responsible for Silva getting paid the winners purse?? :confused:

maybe a bit yeah Joe blew up the whole situation put more pressure on Dana etc..

maybe a bit yeah Joe blew up the whole situation put more pressure on Dana etc..

Dana would've done that either way. He's been known to do things like that in the past. If Rogan had've said nothing at all DW still would've given the money to Silva.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Might not be popular but the ref was right so seen replay means nothing, the shots where hitting the back of the head and rogan was there saying that's legal that's legal! When half weren't

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Might not be popular but the ref was right so seen replay means nothing, the shots where hitting the back of the head and rogan was there saying that's legal that's legal! When half weren't
    Yep. I have to agree. When I was watching it I thought they were illegal blows before anything was even said about it.
    My understanding of a back of the head blow is anything behind the ears, which is where those punches landed.
    I thought Yamasaki got it spot on.

Yep. I have to agree. When I was watching it I thought they were illegal blows before anything was even said about it.
    My understanding of a back of the head blow is anything behind the ears, which is where those punches landed.
    I thought Yamasaki got it spot on.

pity about his decision on this fight

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-inlWDs3TETU/Tj354t6FvxI/AAAAAAAAEbY/K_YdFosc0G4/s1600/2.gif

Yamasaki had literally just made the decision 2 mins prior to Rogan questioning him about it. He was caught off guard and it was clear he was uncomfortable being questioned about it.
    It shouldn't matter how soon after the decision he was asked, he should of been able to provide his reasoning. IF he should of been asked in the first place is one issue, but all refs should know exactly why he makes a decision regardless of an expectation to being asked.
    My arse.
    The minute I seen it, I said to mates he'll still get the win bonus. Dana commented on twitter straight away that it was a bullsh*t call. So imo he was getting the win money regardless of the comments by Joe.

Mellor wrote: »
    It shouldn't matter how soon after the decision he was asked, he should of been able to provide his reasoning. IF he should of been asked in the first place is one issue, but all refs should know exactly why he makes a decision regardless of an expectation to being asked.

Yeah I agree fully he should be able to explain why he made a decision.
    My point was that he had just made the decision and all of a sudden the commentator is publicly quizzing him about it. I think he wasn't expecting it and was caught off guard.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

So he got it wrong that time, should he allow punches to the back of the head in every fight now justs so he's consistent? He made a mistake before and tried to learn from it.

• Advertisement

So he got it wrong that time, should he allow punches to the back of the head in every fight now justs so he's consistent? He made a mistake before and tried to learn from it.

every one makes mistakes and i understand that what im trying to say is that the punches to the back of the head were more obvious and dangerous in the belfort fight. i just think this rule of the back of the head is so inconsistent in fights and the refs disciplines on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Any one notice the laser being pointed into the octagon this weekend, very dangerous

dave1982 wrote: »
    Any one notice the laser being pointed into the octagon this weekend, very dangerous

Yeah I noticed it. Very bad form!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think the ref made the right call and wrote my MMA blog on Setanta about it (just after watching it in fact!). I thought I'd be the only one but I'm glad it appears I'm not.
    I was thinking of that Okami fight too and some other high levels ones. Its not on and they should punish fighters who dont respect that.

If every 5th kick was to the groin, people wouldnt be saying "most of his kicks were legal".

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    If every 5th kick was to the groin, people wouldnt be saying "most of his kicks were legal".

DeV.

But no fighter throws a flurry of 8-10 legs kicks within a few seconds.

It's got to be damn near impossible not to land a shot to the back of the head in that situation with a fighter turtling up.

Do you DQ every fighter that lands a single back of the head shot during a finishing flurry?

• Advertisement
Advertisement