Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any Fertiliser out yet ?

• 10-01-2012 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

With the days getting longer and the mild weather and the countdown to turnout just wondering if anybody has fertiliser out yet or is it too early

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Alibaba wrote: »
    With the days getting longer and the mild weather and the countdown to turnout just wondering if anybody has fertiliser out yet or is it too early

Oh, for focks sake .................... where are you located:confused:

County Clare along with all the counties west of the Shannon, have never, ever been so wet. Constant rain since September 1!

You know, this really underlines the value of the DAS payments to the west of the country. Farming is an absolute constant battle with the weather.

We can forget about fertilizer, for months to come. That's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Alibaba

Tora Bora wrote: »

County Clare along with all the counties west of the Shannon, have never, ever been so wet. Constant rain since September 1!

You know, this really underlines the value of the DAS payments to the west of the country. Farming is an absolute constant battle with the weather.

:o Am in Limerick.. Yeah ground is saturated alrite but a couple of decent weeks would do a lot. Anyway 'just throwing it out there' (if you'll pardon the pun)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

you could put it out with a boat around clare if thats any use :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Tora Bora wrote: »

good man Tora, I was thinking the same, on west coast here facing the elements and not fertiliser is 3 months away

Alibaba, you are a lucky man groundwise or else you are mega organised and like to have stuff ready to go! Fair play either way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Grecco wrote: »
    you could put it out with a boat around clare if thats any use :rolleyes:

Our boat is under water :eek:

Won't put any fertilizer out until at least Paddy's Day!

• Advertisement

Bodacious wrote: »
    good man Tora, I was thinking the same, on west coast here facing the elements and not fertiliser is 3 months away

Alibaba, you are a lucky man groundwise or else you are mega organised and like to have stuff ready to go! Fair play either way

Mega organised... Have the baler out now even , greased n all n ready to rock ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Mega organised... Have the baler out now even , greased n all n ready to rock ;)

Put that baler back inside, Fock sake no wonder its making all that rain your the cause of it :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

What's the p'iss forecast like next week? Think it will be legal to spread slurry around here, bag stuff at 400e/ton can stay in the bag for another month anyway.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

We'd be spreading it on water from a boat here too if we tried getting it out here :D Must take a photo actually of our land.... , looks more like a lake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

are you under cover for the dept. ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

snowman707 wrote: »
    was thinking the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Fertiliser prices to fall lads in next few weeks hold onto yer horses for awhile with all d mild weather the grass is growing why Put it out to be washed away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Saw urea on a lorry delivering meal to me today and thought 'jasus!! give us a chance, I'm still trying to graze last years grass'

snowman707 wrote: »

Big Brother is watching You ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Its likely that all this mild weather will be balanced out out by a cold start to spring so I wouldn't be getting too excited yet!!

PS: I remember 98' when people where walking around with T-shirts in Feb, only to be followed by one of the coldest Aprils in living memory with snow and air frosts down to -6C in parts of the country. I remember all the early foliage that came out went black overnight:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Fertiliser prices to fall lads in next few weeks

That would be good news!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 surething25

it will be well into March before I start putting it out :D

Aw cant wait!! I wonder what the price will be likt the year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

it will be well into March before I start putting it out :D

Aw cant wait!! I wonder what the price will be likt the year!
    By all accounts it is easing up a good bit from last year but it would want to. Just going to order what urea i need for the first round and hold tough till late feb. Assuming the ground can actually hold the tractor and then can hold the cattle when they go out too. Need a dry windy week now and then calm till i get spread so no worries there then:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭countygorey

rancher wrote: »
    Saw urea on a lorry delivering meal to me today and thought 'jasus!! give us a chance, I'm still trying to graze last years grass'
    No one is puting you under pressure i think=======
    you dont have to do what some one ewlse is doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

use to spread about 25 of feb years ago about a bag of urea/acre , its too expensive to be spreading early as years ago it would could work or it might not depending on weather ,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭case 5150

wont be spreading fert till mid feb the earlist, have plenty of slurry to get out so wil spread that next week on the paddocks wont be grazing till late march and following cows after grazing out paddocks with watery slurry from early feb if weather allows, slurry cheaper than urea anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

I have been mad wanting to spread Urea since the 1st of Nov:D:rolleyes:. Its bloody better growing weather than most of last summer around here. In days gone by it wasnt unheard of to spread a bag of Urea christmas week if weather allowed. Will be out spreading on Monday hopefully when we are allowed go here, probably go with the bones of a bag of Urea as grass this time of the year is just so valuable imo with regard to just getting animals out into the fields for a few hours for excerise and health benefits. I was supposed to be out spreading MOP (straight K) last week but still waiting on fert:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Just ordered a small electric spreader for back of quad yesterday
    Hopefully will be able to spread a half bag of urea on heavy or high ground at the end of the month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The first fertilizer I will put out will be slurry when the time is right and the ground is dry enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭docmartin

Can anyone tell me how urea works? as an above poster says grass is so valuable this time of year and i've no experience using urea, would like to give my ground a bit of a head start, my ground is wet but would dry well with 4 or 5 decent days.

as said i've no idea about this stuff, so any help is great

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

urea needs a lot of moisture in the soil to work best. its 46%. works great this part of the year up to the end of april. how much are ye after paying for a tonne of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭docmartin

i havent bought any yet, in fact i havent even checked out suppliers, i'd only be needing about 5 acres worth, so i guess about 5 bags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

docmartin wrote: »
    i havent bought any yet, in fact i havent even checked out suppliers, i'd only be needing about 5 acres worth, so i guess about 5 bags
    Teagasc recommend spreading a half bag/acre once soil temp is over 6 and dry forecast for a few days. If you are going grazing it within a few weeks of spreading the urea you dont want a high level of nitrogen in the grass. You can come in again after grazing with another half bag and reduce the risk of runoff after rain

Advertisement