Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice

• 10-01-2012 2:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Am looking a buying a watch for my Son. I plan to give it to him on graduation in 2032 !!!

What would ye reccommend

Was looking at:

Panerai Base 0
    Omega PO
    Tag Monaco / Carrera
    IWC - Fleig or Portuguese / Pilot
    JLC
    Breitling Colt Chrono

or are there others to look at. I have a round 2k ( prob wont get a Portuguese for that)

Cheers

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

The Omega PO, the Tag Monaco / Carrera and the IWC - Fleig or Portuguese and the Breitling Colt Chrono have been going throu major re-styling so thier appearance is likely to change dramatically during the next 20 years, so your boy might get a watch that does not suit him. Imagine to wear one of those chunky steel Omega with huge cases from the 70's, they looked cool 40 years ago but not anymore today, would you wear one of them?
    If I was you I'd go for a Pilot, a JLC, a PAM000 as they have almost kept their look identical (ie the JLC reverso classic has changed slightly since 1932!).
    I believe some models will stay identical for many years still as they are true classics, so think about a Omega Speedmaster Moon and a Rolex Sub too, I'm sure your son will wear them without looking out of fashion :)

(btw loking at your selection you can get only second hands with your budget)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Blackpitts wrote: »
    The Omega PO, the Tag Monaco / Carrera and the IWC - Fleig or Portuguese and the Breitling Colt Chrono have been going throu major re-styling so thier appearance is likely to change dramatically during the next 20 years, so your boy might get a watch that does not suit him. Imagine to wear one of those chunky steel Omega with huge cases from the 70's, they looked cool 40 years ago but not anymore today, would you wear one of them?
    If I was you I'd go for a Pilot, a JLC, a PAM000 as they have almost kept their look identical (ie the JLC reverso classic has changed slightly since 1932!).
    I believe some models will stay identical for many years still as they are true classics, so think about a Omega Speedmaster Moon and a Rolex Sub too, I'm sure your son will wear them without looking out of fashion :)

(btw loking at your selection you can get only second hands with your budget)

Yes..was offered 2008 Pam Base 0 for £2K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Anjobe

I don't think I'd buy a watch for this sort of present. I have to agree with Blackpitts about changing fashions and who knows, high end watches might be cheaper in real terms in 20 yrs time than they are today.

I know this is not really relevant to this forum, but if I was buying a present now to give in 20 yrs time I would go for a bottle of Ch Petrus, or maybe a 1er cru Medoc. You should be able to get one (or perhaps even two) from a recent vintage for less than 2K (Mitchell and Son sometimes have them) and, if kept in the right conditions, by 2032 it should be nothing short of spectacular and worth an absolute fortune!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The other thing is of course that if you buy a watch now and stick into a drawer for 20 years you'll have to have it serviced first before you can give it away :D

Anjobe wrote: »
    I don't think I'd buy a watch for this sort of present. I have to agree with Blackpitts about changing fashions and who knows, high end watches might be cheaper in real terms in 20 yrs time than they are today.

I know this is not really relevant to this forum, but if I was buying a present now to give in 20 yrs time I would go for a bottle of Ch Petrus, or maybe a 1er cru Medoc. You should be able to get one (or perhaps even two) from a recent vintage for less than 2K (Mitchell and Son sometimes have them) and, if kept in the right conditions, by 2032 it should be nothing short of spectacular and worth an absolute fortune!

Hand not thought if that...will take a look

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    The other thing is of course that if you buy a watch now and stick into a drawer for 20 years you'll have to have it serviced first before you can give it away :D

Agreed...however was thinking of sneaking a wear or two out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I would go for a Rolex Submariner. But you would probably need to come up with at least another 1000 to purchase a good quality pre-owned one. Or alternatively try and buy a birth year Omega Speedmaster Pro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homer

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I would go for a Rolex Submariner. But you would probably need to come up with at least another 1000 to purchase a good quality pre-owned one. Or alternatively try and buy a birth year Omega Speedmaster Pro.

Even €3k is not going to get you very far with a quality pre owned Rolex Sub with prices the way they are currently. Be closer to €4k
    Weakening euro against sterling and the dollar will also hamper looking outside of Ireland.
    Omega Speedy would be my choice..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I wouldn't go for a Panerai to be honest. I can't shake the feeling that they're a passing fad.
    I would definitely look at the Tag Monaco, or as suggested earlier, an Omega Speedmaster. A design that's 40 years old and still looks great now, will still look great in another 40 years I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Agreed...however was thinking of sneaking a wear or two out of it.

Hey, if you really like it, you could guide him towards a trade...... And save on the college fees too :p

tbh don't think the wine is a great idea, it's the difference between an evenings enjoyment and a lifetimes enjoyment; and no matter how well you keep it, it could be corked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

I'd look at the Omega Speedmaster Pro , Tag Monaco or the Omega PO (42mm).

I would also look JLC & IWC but I think they could be very hard to get at that budget.

I suggest the PO as it takes alot of its design cues from the Seamaster 300 which is a classic now.
    wrote:
    Judging from the number of watches that copy the styling of the Seamaster 300, including cues Omega is using in their divers even today...The timeless styling and versatile and modern size (42mm) play as well today as they did 40 years ago.
    http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2010/9/7/explaining-a-classic-the-omega-seamaster-300.html

Zagato wrote: »
    Hey, if you really like it, you could guide him towards a trade...... And save on the college fees too :p

tbh don't think the wine is a great idea, it's the difference between an evenings enjoyment and a lifetimes enjoyment; and no matter how well you keep it, it could be corked

That's where my mind is aswell...

A lot of :D for the Speedy. I always loved the Monaco

Sea Master Pro 300??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I think getting a watch is a good idea, as for the servicing, a few months before the graduation is due bring it along to a watchmaker, don't try to wind it or anything as the oils will probably be long dried up and you might break something, it shouldn't cost much for a clean and relube

It is just important to get something simple in my opinion, fads will come and go, but simple will always be in fashion.

Just to give you an idea of something you may not have considered it's worth having a look at this Stowa

WXCLD.jpg

A thing of beauty like that will never go out of style, for €70 they will also do an engraving for you, maybe for instance the date you ordered it.

Something like this is also awesome, if something were to happen to you, when the time came he would still be able to get a gift from you that he could keep the rest of his life, and even give to his own children turning it into an heirloom.

A nice bottle of wine would be great, but you can only enjoy it once.

Just my thoughts

Nolimits wrote: »
    I think getting a watch is a good idea, as for the servicing, a few months before the graduation is due bring it along to a watchmaker, don't try to wind it or anything as the oils will probably be long dried up and you might break something, it shouldn't cost much for a clean and relube

It is just important to get something simple in my opinion, fads will come and go, but simple will always be in fashion.

Just to give you an idea of something you may not have considered it's worth having a look at this Stowa

A thing of beauty like that will never go out of style, for €70 they will also do an engraving for you, maybe for instance the date you ordered it.

Something like this is also awesome, if something were to happen to you, when the time came he would still be able to get a gift from you that he could keep the rest of his life, and even give to his own children turning it into an heirloom.

A nice bottle of wine would be great, but you can only enjoy it once.

Just my thoughts

Thats a nice clean watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Zagato wrote: »

You don't have to drink it, if you buy a 2009 Petrus now (widely believed to be potentially the best ever vintage of the the world's best wine) it would probably be worth Patek Phillipe money in 2032.

The bottom line is that it is only worth buying something now to gift in 2032 if there is a good chance that it will appreciate in value faster than inflation over that time. The wine was really just an example of something that might represent a better 20 yr investment for €2K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Why don't you just put the money into a high interest account and buy him a nice watch when he graduates?

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Why don't you just put the money into a high interest account and buy him a nice watch when he graduates?

Funny...the wife said that to me today..bank it and nearer to the time but the latest and greatest one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If you're interested in a new watch, you could get a Speedmaster Date new for only EUR100 more ( http://www.thewatchsource.co.uk/item/Omega/Speedmaster-Date/3210.50.html ). Not my preferred style but I have seen a number given as graduation presents.

Personally I'd try and stretch for a Bond Seamaster which is no longer th flagship Seamaster but I think is much prettier. You could get a new one for EUR2,400.

Watchprice inflation is currently much higher than an reasonable account would deliver. Not sure it will always be the case. Why not buy a piece which you plan to wear until he is 21 and let him inherit it. Not sure that a 21 year old will appreciate a NOS watch rather than a new watch or an "heirloom" piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Anjobe wrote: »
    You don't have to drink it, if you buy a 2009 Petrus now (widely believed to be potentially the best ever vintage of the the world's best wine) it would probably be worth Patek Phillipe money in 2032.

The bottom line is that it is only worth buying something now to gift in 2032 if there is a good chance that it will appreciate in value faster than inflation over that time. The wine was really just an example of something that might represent a better 20 yr investment for €2K.

You do have to drink it, if you want to enjoy it. I'd be a bit upset about getting a present that I couldn't have. If it's an investment, well that's a completely different idea to the op, which is for a gift for his son to enjoy.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy good wine. Am I right in thinking that as an investment it doesn't attract Capital Gains Tax?

• Advertisement

Marcusm wrote: »
    If you're interested in a new watch, you could get a Speedmaster Date new for only EUR100 more ( http://www.thewatchsource.co.uk/item/Omega/Speedmaster-Date/3210.50.html ). N.

Personally I'd try and stretch for a Bond Seamaster which is no longer th flagship Seamaster but I think is much prettier. You could get a new one for EUR2,400.
    . Why not buy a piece which you plan to wear until he is 21 and let him inherit it.

Thats what I was looking at doing, I quite fancy Black PO like this one

http://www.omegawatches.com/ambassadors/james-bond

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Thats what I was looking at doing, I quite fancy Black PO like this one

http://www.omegawatches.com/ambassadors/james-bond

Black POs are great; I have a 45.5mm one although I tend to wear it on a brown croc strap (oem) rather than the bracelet. That wasn't the watch I want but rather the blue SMP which becomes associated with James Bond from Goldeneye in 1995. A new one you could get for EUR2400 through the UK site I quoted; if you found an AD who was losing his status due to the expansion of the boutique network, you might get it for less. A PO new is going t o cost you more like EUR2900, I guess.

ok...so my decision is..

Wait a couple more months get few more quid together and get a nice Omega PO black - may only get a 2nd hand one but hey....

I could wear it on occasions and pass it on as an heirloom and hopefully he will love it aswell.

Thanks

DT

P.S, will post any pics I get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Sounds like you want to get yourself a watch under the auspices of passing it on as an heirloom...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Sounds like you want to get yourself a watch under the auspices of passing it on as an heirloom...

I certainly dont think anyone on this forum would see a problem with that.:D

:eek:

What Me?

Shudder the thought ;)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Doc Daneeka

Hey DT, good choice. Keep us posted on the search.

Alterior motive... looking to pick up the same watch sometime in the next few months too!

Hi

Me again...

Well..I was thinking about all this...

I was contemplating not buying a PO but getting one of these

Jazzmaster_AUTO_CHRONO_H32616553.jpg

and maybe a Seamaster Pro full size

This would come to near enough the same price as a 2nd hand PO

Mad...eh..;)

There is one for sale on TZ for £400 on a bracelet.

• Advertisement

There is one for sale on TZ for £400 on a bracelet.

saw that..thats why i was contemplating it

At half price it's a bargain. If I wasn't saving for a watch id buy it myself. Although I'd rather get a Strela.

At half price it's a bargain. If I wasn't saving for a watch id buy it myself. Although I'd rather get a Strela.

never heard of Strela...they love beautiful

Are they expensive? where do you source them

The Officer 2 looks stunning

They generally come in a couple of sizes I think 38mm and 44-45mm. Most ones you see are re-issues of an original watch from the 60's.

38mm around $350-$400
    45mm around $900-$1000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

so...

Update,

I have the opportunity of 2 PO, both Black/White 42mm

one is €1750 on Rubber all, cards etc plus shipping about €1800 all in

The second is €2100, on SS Bracelet, all cards etc.., free courier

Is it worth the extra 300 and get the SSB and then buy rubber etc later or just save the 300 and get the rubber with a view to SSB later

Cheers

DT

• Advertisement

The bracelet is about €500 euro so I'd say yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

All things being equal including condition and seller, the bracelet is the one to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭SmartFox

Agreed, bracelet is the way to go, he'll always want one at some stage, so better value to get it now.

ps: the black with white numbers IMHO is the best combo for the PO, a real understated classic and very flexible. And the 2500 will always be the original PO.

Advertisement