Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calf prices

• 10-01-2012 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Went in to Ennis mart to have a look this morning, the calf supply was small but the prices were unreal!!!
    Examples
    3 week old Lim X WH bull calf €490 :eek:
    2 week old ChX bull (red in color) €600 :eek::eek:

British Fresien bull (narrow and weak) €250:eek:
    British Fresien bull (Good quality for a fresen) €350

CHx Heifer a few days old (A bit short and small) €400

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

I went to carraigallen in Leitrim/Cavan on saturday and i should have stayed in bed.

BF bulls about 3 months old €395 average (they looked so mean and pinched)
    Chx calf €480 (didnt sell)
    BBx calves about 2 weeks made €380 ( only the buyers were in control on those) :rolleyes:
    BR Bull calves averaged €280 -350 also
    Grecco wrote: »
    Went in to Ennis mart to have a look this morning, the calf supply was small but the prices were unreal!!!
    Examples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

The Celtic Tiger is dead; behold the Celtic Cow

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Long may she last, Cuchcullan (pardon the spelling) and the red branch knights would be delighted:D A celtic cow is probably worth the same as an ounce of gold.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

Examples

No way I'll be buying calves this Spring at those prices.
    Absolute madness.
    Does no-one remember the property bubble?:confused:

CLASSIC:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

ok here goes , my sale today.... fr bull calf €250
    1 cow(cull) straight out of parlour weight 710kg got €1010:eek:
    2 free martin heifers weights 478kg and 535 made €940 each
    1 aa cow 646kg made €1260
    :D:D:D:D:D
    was a simmental bull calf 4 weeks old made €530:eek: totally totally crazy, was so many buyers, only 30 calves in the calf sale ... not alot of cattle either
    my fr cow was the only fr cow in the sale couldnt believe what she made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

The guys paying these prices are looking in the crystal ball and seeing prices of €5 per kg at the end of the line... maybe they are right. Good time to be a seller in the next 5 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

whelan1 wrote: »
    was a simmental bull calf 4 weeks old made €530:eek: totally totally crazy, was so many buyers, only 30 calves in the calf sale ... not alot of cattle either

good to see a decent price for the fr bull calf cos its not that long ago we would have to beg a shipper to get 50 euro for bull calves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

when the cow stands, milk her.

I think its going to be a tricky year to buy animals. Strange, most of the bunches of animals I have bought since the 1st of Jan seem to be good value. Comparing prices with same week last year and there isnt that much of a difference.:confused: thankfully im not buying calves:D

lord god, just read the mart reports from last weeks calf sales in the farming indo:eek: mad money...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

But Mary Harney, is retired:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

I'd say, you are sooo looking forward, to writing a big fat tax cheque this year;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Definitely no calves bought here either this year.
    Will sell some of last years soon and run the rest on until the autumn.

Surely these buyers are over quota dairy men. I was talking to one who said the milk is there free so it is cheap to feed calves on.

lord god, just read the mart reports from last weeks calf sales in the farming indo:eek: mad money...

Just saw it myself. Those men are very brave...or mad.
    Wish I had stock to sell, but despite the prices, a farm is no good without stock, so I'll have to keep mine for now.

have a few angus cross calves after being born , am being driven nad by farmers wanting to buy them , what will i ask for them?

have a few angus cross calves after being born , am being driven nad by farmers wanting to buy them , what will i ask for them?

€350 or €400 I'd imagine.. but i haven't been to a calf sale this year yet...

bbam wrote: »

I try to buy AAX mainly. This Autumn I paid €250/200 for bulls/heifers, so those prices are WAY above my limit, but that seems to be the go of it so far this year!
    Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

I saw very poor quality AAX heifers sold in Ennis mart last tuesday making from €325 to €365. I mean they were poor as in really light boned narrow and small.

Top price went for a strong Lim bull calf (He was practically reared) €620
    White BB bull calfs a month old €600
    WHs bulls €420 + (again no great selection, mainly plain to poor types)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Miller80

What would be a good mart for friesian bull calves?
    In sligo but would travel a fair bit.

Miller80 wrote: »
    What would be a good mart for friesian bull calves?
    In sligo but would travel a fair bit.
    buying or selling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Miller80

oops, sorry didnt clarify.
    I would be selling.

I saw very poor quality AAX heifers sold in Ennis mart last tuesday making from €325 to €365. I mean they were poor as in really light boned narrow and small.

Top price went for a strong Lim bull calf (He was practically reared) €620
    White BB bull calfs a month old €600
    WHs bulls €420 + (again no great selection, mainly plain to poor types)

This crack could all end in tears
    Aren't beef prices on the continent starting to fall, by the time these calves are reared prices could be anywhere.

This crack could all end in tears
    Aren't beef prices on the continent starting to fall, by the time these calves are reared prices could be anywhere.
    ssssssshh dont say that

I can see the factories are going to have a field day in the future. All these extra suckler cows, less weanlens exported and now there even importing calfs from the north

All larry & Co will have to do is pull back the price by a few cent a kg and it will cause a panic!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

All larry & Co will have to do is pull back the price by a few cent a kg and it will cause a panic!!

This year will see lots of failures at the top table of the beef farming/finishing industry imo.:(. lots of opportunities aswell though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I see in the Journal 6,000 calves came into the country last year. For a country that exports 80% of it's beef, that just shows how messed up the whole thing has become.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭charityboy

anybody paying this sort of money for angus calves are off their heads if they think they could make a return from them ,better off with no calves than paying stupid money for them ,the guys that are buying these calves are going to get burned at current beef prices

the people selling are having a great time:p

the people selling are having a great time:p
    enjoy it while it lasts,i will be laughing next year i will be getting freisan bulls for 100 euro again i love getting cheap calves

• Advertisement

charityboy wrote: »
    enjoy it while it lasts,i will be laughing next year i will be getting freisan bulls for 100 euro again i love getting cheap calves

Truth is that the yo-yo of prices doesn't do the overall business any good. Be better with decent predictable prices.
    It's bad if someone needs to get burned for another to make profit, that's not sustainable farming.

my tax year is october to september, was looking earlier i was getting €80 for fr bull calves in october 2010 , which is probably around what they are worth , last week i got €230 for a similar calf- well probably a bit better calf...

you had them cheap for long enough ,you can put your feet up this year and look at the good prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mayowillie

How soon do you think before we see the prices start to fall? Does anyone think the landscape will have changed much by mid-March? I'm wondering how long to hold out before I buy my calves, I'd be buying 30 together, and I don't want to get caught up in this frenzy and get burned...

assuming after the superlevy year is over on 31 march there should be a glut of calves in the marts:)

i ed say your right but i dont think they will come back too much on price

• Advertisement

6480 wrote: »
    i ed say your right but i dont think they will come back too much on price
    id say 20 to 30 euro is all they will drop back but they will be better value in april as they could go straight to grass and finished on milk and also less chance of losing calves to scours etc

I'm laughing now, reading that comment:).
    Have to agree, this is insanity!
    I definitely will not be buying at current levels. It will have to end in tears, unfortunately!
    Why do we farmers(myself included!) lose the run of ourselves anytime we make a *tiny* bit of profit? Better to pay tax and keep the rest, than to give it all away for over-priced stock, imo!
    Can't begrudge the sellers, they had it tough long enough, but this is gone too far the other way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

anyone watch countryfile last night and in the UK they are still putting down new born BR bull calves, and they want to get pople into rearing bull calves for "rose veil"

anyone watch countryfile last night and in the UK they are still putting down new born BR bull calves, and they want to get pople into rearing bull calves for "rose veil"

And 6,000 of those "worthless" calves have been imported here! Shows how mad it all is at the moment...:confused:

I usually double suck a few of my cows but with these prices Ive had to milk out two cows down onto the ground for the second time within a week; what a waste :mad:
    I could have done with a few calves but not at them prices

• Advertisement

I usually double suck a few of my cows but with these prices Ive had to milk out two cows down onto the ground for the second time within a week; what a waste :mad:
    I could have done with a few calves but not at them prices

If you were closer, I could have sent you over a couple...split the profit(?):)
    Thankfully all weaned bar 2 now, none coming in the gate at current prices.

PatQfarmer wrote: »
    If you were closer, I could have sent you over a couple...split the profit(?):)
    Thankfully all weaned bar 2 now, none coming in the gate at current prices.

I wouldnt have charged you a cent as it would be a lot easier than having the Cows kick the sh1t out of me while I try to milk them :D
    Anyway, I`ll keep it up for another week or two and by then either there own calves will be strong enough to milk them out or the prices may have come back to some type of reality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

in some respects calves are cheaper this year than last in relation to finish price.eg fr bull 100e last spring= a bullock worth 1000e whereas 200e calf this year finish bullock could be 1200e

keep going wrote: »
    in some respects calves are cheaper this year than last in relation to finish price.eg fr bull 100e last spring= a bullock worth 1000e whereas 200e calf this year finish bullock could be 1200e
    this is exactly why i am not paying big money for calves as i cant see the finish price staying at this level past this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭dealerman

€415 for 3weeks old heifer calf and bulls were around €400 as well for 3 weeks old its all mad :D

keep going wrote: »

I just sold a pen of weanlings I reared from last spring.... One with the other they left a bit along with €200 each after ALL costs were accounted for, not a killing but a profit at least...

Similar calves are at least €150/€200 dearer now but I have no faith that weanlings will hold their current price never mind increase another €200 a head to leave a profit...

The problem is taking the gamble over 12 months against prices.. I'd rather buy a few 300kg heifers and graze them over the summer to hit a small profit in the short term... A small short term profit is better than a long term gamble on a loss.. And if prices start to fall they'll be easier offloaded than half reared sucks..

IMHO continental cross calves from BF cows have a limit to their potential beef and so I think anything above €400 for the best of them won't leave a profit worth talking about if they have to get milk replacer... Maybe for a dairy man who is over quota, may as well feed a calf with the milk... But they are paying way over the odds to make the best of their situation rather than a profit making exercise, the milk still costs money to produce, paying €500/€600 for LIX, CHX calves is just too much..

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭dasheriff

I sold a red limo bull calf 5 and a half weeks old out of a whitehead today in castleisland got €495 for him..the best blue calf three weeks old made round 545..

dasheriff wrote: »
    I sold a red limo bull calf 5 and a half weeks old out of a whitehead today in castleisland got €495 for him..the best blue calf three weeks old made round 545..

why would u ever keep a calf at that money it will be a long time before he will cash in at 1000 euro and a lot of stuff eatin aswel

6480 wrote: »
    why would u ever keep a calf at that money it will be a long time before he will cash in at 1000 euro and a lot of stuff eatin aswel
    change the word KEEP to BUY :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

lads and ladies the boom times for farming are just going to get boomier... and in any case i predict a soft landing for calf prices in the future as the fundamentals are sound......................

• Advertisement
Advertisement