Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remember 1982

Options
  • 10-01-2012 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

After the freeze of '09/10 and the big freeze of '10/11, some of us are feeling a little cheated by the lack of any white stuff this year. My new My kid's sleigh hasn't a scratch on it and the crampons I ordered early to avoid the rush are still snug in their packaging. In fact I don't believe that we've had a proper frost which would account for the bumblebee and butterfly I saw the other week.

For those of us old enough to remember (and not so old that we couldn't enjoy it) 30 years ago this week we had the great snow event of 1982 which heralded the closure of the schools in Greystones for a number of weeks. Every kid's wish had come true, and we took to the hills of Greystones and in particular the golf course with our biscuit tin lids and fertilizer bags.

I found this clip online of Delgany back then in which one would be forgiven for thinking that the Wicklow Arms was the coordination centre for Delgany's response to the Emergency!! Everyone to the Arms..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlrEOQ_GCCg&sns=fb

Oh the memories :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

I was born that year....

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Great video. I remember it well. I wonder are there any videos of the 13th?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

FirstIn wrote: »
    Great video. I remember it well. I wonder are there any videos of the 13th?

No.... cos everyone was too busy sliding down on their trays and plastic bags :D

Advertisement