Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giving grinds

• 10-01-2012 3:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭

I see there are some sites on the web to advertise.
    Grinds.ie being one (I hope that's ok mods).
    Is this any good or are you better off advertising local on advertisement boards in supermarkets etc??
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

After you pay 42% tax, 7% USC and whatever else it'll hardly be worth your while!!

Be careful advertising. Revenue have lots of time on their hands these days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

and revenue have been out looking at grinds already from what I have heard.

Having said that, some people take the mick altogether, packing 10 into a room for an hour and charging a tenner each etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

TheDriver wrote: »

Having said that, some people take the mick altogether, packing 10 into a room for an hour and charging a tenner each etc.

I had a teacher who had up to eight in one grind charging €40 each:pac:

That was in 2008.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

http://www.thejournal.ie/teachers-play-down-reports-of-tax-investigation-over-grind-fees-323954-Jan2012/
    A UNION REPRESENTING teachers has played down reports that the Revenue has launched a probe into undeclared fees for after-school grinds, describing it as not a “widespread issue”.

A spokesperson for the Association of Secondary Teachers in Ireland said there are only “very few” teachers who have other work outside school hours, adding she did not believe undeclared income was common in the sector.

“I don’t think it’s a widespread issue,” ASTI spokesperson Gemma Tuffy said. “There are very few teachers engaged in other work.”

The Irish Daily Mail reported this morning that the Revenue Commissioners are investigating close to 200 teachers suspected of not declaring fee income from after-school grinds.

But Tuffy said 200 was a “very small number out of 60,000 teachers.” She said ASTI would not have direct involvement in the tax affairs of its members, but stressed:

We would always advise our members to ensure that their tax affairs are in order, to recognise whether they are underpaying or overpaying. We would have advised them that if they are engaging in any work outside teaching, there could be tax implications.

I'd be surprised if there were only 200 teachers in the country doing grinds and not declaring tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

dambarude wrote: »
    I had a teacher who had up to eight in one grind charging €40 each:pac:

That was in 2008.

I don't have as many as 8 in a group but I do charge €25 per head. It takes a lot of work, corrections and preparation to give a group grind and that is why I charge what I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭2011abc

http://www.thejournal.ie/teachers-play-down-reports-of-tax-investigation-over-grind-fees-323954-Jan2012/

I'd be surprised if there were only 200 teachers in the country doing grinds and not declaring tax.

Hmmmm ....hardly a coincidence the Teaching Council specify that 'outside work' may be 'verboten' in the light of this .They really want us without an ar5e in our britches at this stage ...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭jaffa20

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    I don't have as many as 8 in a group but I do charge €25 per head. It takes a lot of work, corrections and preparation to give a group grind and that is why I charge what I do.

Still, It's a lot money for the work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Its not really a lot of money for the work.

I don't give grinds but if I did I would charge 40 euro per 60-75 mins.
    The fact is its one-to-one tuition and you have to go through material, provide worksheets material for homework and then correct it all. The traditional "hour" is already way more than 60 mins so people should charge what they feel they are worth.
    If someone thins you are worth it then they will pay it.

mrboswell wrote: »
    Its not really a lot of money for the work.

I don't give grinds but if I did I would charge 40 euro per 60-75 mins.
    The fact is its one-to-one tuition and you have to go through material, provide worksheets material for homework and then correct it all. The traditional "hour" is already way more than 60 mins so people should charge what they feel they are worth.
    If someone thins you are worth it then they will pay it.

They might pay 40 in Dublin, but I don't think they will pay it down the country. At least not in this part of the world. Many parents don't have that sort of money anymore.

They might pay 40 in Dublin, but I don't think they will pay it down the country. At least not in this part of the world. Many parents don't have that sort of money anymore.

You'd be surprised rainbowtrout. The teacher I mentioned above apparently charges €50 now, and this is in rural Mayo/Galway. I don't know what the current demand for her services are though.

• Advertisement

Heard of a man who once charged €100 for a grind in accountancy. The subject wasn't being offered in that school so someone came to him and that's what he charged. His rationale was that grinds are overtime so he should charge time and a half his hourly rate.

If I ever gave them I'd charge €30 but I don't really have the time!

dambarude wrote: »
    You'd be surprised rainbowtrout. The teacher I mentioned above apparently charges €50 now, and this is in rural Mayo/Galway. I don't know what the current demand for her services are though.

I am actually amazed by that. I think the going rate around Roscommon is about €25. You certainly wouldn't be paying more than €30 anyway.

I am actually amazed by that. I think the going rate around Roscommon is about €25. You certainly wouldn't be paying more than €30 anyway.

It's quite spectacular alright. The teacher had a good name, and in fairness she was pretty brilliant. It was all teach to the test stuff, but she got the results. Her style of teaching is likely to become less useful in coming years though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Is it ok to just put an email address down on the business card?
    I don't want people texting/ringing with no real interest - just wanting to find out who you are etc.

I'm thinking I'll stick a few of them on local advertising boards in shops.
    I tried to register on grinds.ie but kept getting an error on one of the entry fields when registering. I emailed them re the problem but haven't heard anything.
    I think I'll stick to the advertising boards anyway.
    I'm only willing to do the grinds in the child's home. I presume this wouldn't make much of a difference.

Thanks.

Is it ok to just put an email address down on the business card?
    I don't want people texting/ringing with no real interest - just wanting to find out who you are etc.

I'm thinking I'll stick a few of them on local advertising boards in shops.
    I tried to register on grinds.ie but kept getting an error on one of the entry fields when registering. I emailed them re the problem but haven't heard anything.
    I think I'll stick to the advertising boards anyway.
    I'm only willing to do the grinds in the child's home. I presume this wouldn't make much of a difference.

Thanks.

I don't think most people looking for grinds ring just out of curiosity. To be honest I think they might be more reluctant to contact just an email address. At least with a phone call they get an instant reply, but with an email if they get a reply from you and there's more information they need, they have to email back again and wait for another reply. It could be a bit drawn out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I'd love to do group grinds, sounds a great idea but when I did them mine were never interested in it. They all wanted one-on-one. Grinds are stressful though and very time consuming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jami5carroll

hi
    i am a 3rd year student doing electronic engineering in carlow it. i am home every weekend (in cork) and was wondering would anyone know of a decent maths lecturer willing to do grinds on a saturday morning

thanks
    p.s im not working for revenue either

hi
    i am a 3rd year student doing electronic engineering in carlow it. i am home every weekend (in cork) and was wondering would anyone know of a decent maths lecturer willing to do grinds on a saturday morning

thanks
    p.s im not working for revenue either

I'm nowhere near Cork or Carlow but I just thought I'd advise you to check out Stroud's book on engineering maths. It's one hell of a book. Doesn't cost much more than a grind or it might be available in your library.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Engineering-Mathematics-K-Stroud/dp/1403942463/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326566283&sr=1-1

Can't recommend it highly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

doc_17 wrote: »
    I'm nowhere near Cork or Carlow but I just thought I'd advise you to check out Stroud's book on engineering maths. It's one hell of a book. Doesn't cost much more than a grind or it might be available in your library.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Engineering-Mathematics-K-Stroud/dp/1403942463/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326566283&sr=1-1

Can't recommend it highly enough

It's pretty good, all right - I used Edition One! :)
    It's probably not sufficient on its own, it bombed out for me about half way through third year. Where it really does shine is in the number of worked examples.

If only there had been a version dealing with Electromagnetic Field Theory, using Spherical Co-Ordinates.

Good luck with your studies.

Advertisement