Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hidden Treasures in Dublin

Options
  • 10-01-2012 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hey, Im just looking to see if anyone would recommend a restaurant which is reasonably priced (or has some deals on) and is not well known.

Ive been to most restaurants in Italian quarter, IFSC, and been to Market Bar but would like to find new places.

Id love some suggestions whether they be Indian, Italian, Thai, American etc. (no chippers please!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

For weekday or Saturday afternoon lunch i can heartily recommend Bondiola. It's a little Argentine cafe beside the 51 pub on haddington road, Dublin 4.

if they have a website it's pretty poor so not much point looking it up, but they do a variety of steak sandwiches, milanesas, empenadas and also choripan (fancy argie hot dogs basically). Not open in the evening, friendly and very clean. Nice way to while away an hour on a Saturday afternoon. Have a very decent (Argie - lot of Malbec) wine selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭emmetmurphy

Aisan on top of the Submarine bar. Eat all you can for 9.95 and its massive
    Only open 1 mth now brand new decor small amounts of food cooked regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 electrojim

I am pie wrote: »
    For weekday or Saturday afternoon lunch i can heartily recommend Bondiola. It's a little Argentine cafe beside the 51 pub on haddington road, Dublin 4.

if they have a website it's pretty poor so not much point looking it up, but they do a variety of steak sandwiches, milanesas, empenadas and also choripan (fancy argie hot dogs basically). Not open in the evening, friendly and very clean. Nice way to while away an hour on a Saturday afternoon. Have a very decent (Argie - lot of Malbec) wine selection.

Never had Argentinian before so I'll def try that! Strange that they dont open evenings but I wouldnt mind a relaxing bit of grub on a Sat afternoon. what are the prices like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

electrojim wrote: »
    Never had Argentinian before so I'll def try that! Strange that they dont open evenings but I wouldnt mind a relaxing bit of grub on a Sat afternoon. what are the prices like?

I really can't remember, but not more than a tenner for anything I've mentioned above. I would either have the lomito completo or cordobesa - steak, egg, and a bit of cheese in a baguette type bread. Sweet coconut biscuits are good too, ((alfajores maicenes), an empanada are tasty for nibbling on before the main event if your famished or greedy like me.

The missus loves it, she's an Argie. A taste of home for her !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

most restaurants in Italian quarter

lolz!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 electrojim

Can anyone give me a good recommendation for
    - Bar Pinxto
    - Chop House
    - Cafe Azteca
    - Diwali Indian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

Juniors on Bath Avenue is lovely. They have a pizza place around the corner which is only alright though.

Heard good things about Chop House but I can't bring myself to go in there because I loved the pub they took over and Juniors is amazing and directly across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Green Nineteen on Camden Street - Most mains are a tenner all day http://www.green19.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

The Larder on Parliament Street

http://www.thelardercaferestaurant.ie/home.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Aisan on top of the Submarine bar. Eat all you can for 9.95 and its massive
    Only open 1 mth now brand new decor small amounts of food cooked regularly.

I ate there the other day. Absolutely horrible food. My friend thought the same and we tried everything in the buffet.

Hidden gems:

The new tapas place in Ranelagh (Not Ochos), near the gourmet burger . Chorizo in red wine sauce is to die for! Can't remember the name though!

The Hub restaurant in Crumlin village (above the pub). Such a good steak, and quite cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I ate there the other day. Absolutely horrible food. My friend thought the same and we tried everything in the buffet.

Hidden gems:

The new tapas place in Ranelagh (Not Ochos), near the gourmet burger . Chorizo in red wine sauce is to die for! Can't remember the name though!

The Hub restaurant in Crumlin village (above the pub). Such a good steak, and quite cheap.

It's called La Bodega.

Another one in Ranelagh and off the beaten track is Michie Sushi. I've eaten here quite a few times and it's always been good. Probably just above mid range in terms of prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

The Spanish Tapas place in the Epicurean Food Hall is fantastic and really authentic. It's very cheap also (3 decent portions for a tenner). It's a snack bar as opposed to a restaurant however.
    Kimchee Korean restaurant and pub on Parnell St. is another favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Le Bon Crubeen on Talbot Street (don't let the fact it's Talbot Street put you off) is an absolute gem.

Prices are great, food quality is great and service is great.

www.leboncrubeen.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Cafe Azteca is quality. Nicest owner in the world too, he does cooking classes.
    There's a tv in there that cycles through the menu showing you what everything is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Le Bon Crubeen on Talbot Street (don't let the fact it's Talbot Street put you off) is an absolute gem.

Prices are great, food quality is great and service is great.

www.leboncrubeen.ie

le bon crubeen is lovely

the kingfisher is great too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ChunkyLover69

101 Talbot is another great eatery on Talbot Street

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Junos Cafe on Parkgate St. Everything from a bacon buttie for breakfast through to smoked organic salmon for dinner. Ate there for the first time last night and was thoroughly impressed. Handy to get to on the luas too (and right beside Ryans for a pint).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

lolz!

I don't understand the online sneering regarding the Italian Quarter, some good food, excellent (and unusual) wines to be got with great deals.

Fair play to electrojim for trying them. Instead of posting an unhelpful and childish "lolz" to gain some thanks from like minded lolzers, OMG's, FYI, AIB, DID type people... I'd like to ad Fallon and Byrnes all night early bird and the Green Hen for decent grub at good prices. Some of the fine dining gaffs in the city do incredibly early bird and pre-theatre midweek deals. Well worth a visit people like me that can't afford to splash out A la carte! Some really good takes on classic dishes to be tasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

i think the lolz is because of the presumption of some people to spread the name "the italian quarter" in an attempt to make the place sound better, especially when the majority of restaurants are not italian and most of the residents are asian or african.
    It's not really the italian quarter its just PR calling it that.
    Its the same as calling north lotts the Riviera .

Don't get me wrong I have no problem with the place, I call it the italian quarter too and there are some nice places to eat there too.

Its real name is Lower Ormond quay or Smithfield (albeit a very eastern part of Smithfield) just calling it itialian quarter demarks the area of Smithfield or Lower Ormond Quay that you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 brambo

I recently discovered the Pepper Pot cafe in Powerscourt Townhouse (upstairs on the balcony section). It has the world's best sandwich ever: roast pear, bacon and cheese (I think a fancy cheddar) on really thick bread. I highly recommend it (about €5 or €6).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

brambo wrote: »
    I recently discovered the Pepper Pot cafe in Powerscourt Townhouse (upstairs on the balcony section). It has the world's best sandwich ever: roast pear, bacon and cheese (I think a fancy cheddar) on really thick bread. I highly recommend it (about €5 or €6).

Come to think of it I have heard some people talk about the pepper pot but never been in. Must rectify that.

Advertisement