Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People emigrating for work and leaving families behind

• 10-01-2012 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Listening to a few news programmes over Christmas about Irish people heading back to England, Australia, Europe etc. after coming home for their holiers.
    Most have emigrated there due to the recession etc.
    Some sad stories of people (mostly Men) leaving the wives and children so they could go work abroad
    They were saying that no work in Ireland, HAVE to go abroad to get work
    Surely better to stay at home unemployed with your family/ young kids than work abroad alone
    Some were saying “have to pay the mortgage”.
    WTF?
    Again, surely better to live at home with your famly in rented accommodation than live abroad alone.
    Some of these lads were abroad for years having left 2007, 2008 etc.
    Am I missing something?

(FYI - Some might hate their families chuckle chuckle)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

It is very sad alright, but unfortunately, some just cant afford to stay here any longer, they just have to go.

I've been lucky enough that I have never been forced to move abroad, but who knows what the future holds, and I know I would be very nervous if I did have to board a plane and wave goodbye to the family for the forseeable future.

A lot of my friends have gone to Oz and don't look like coming back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I left my wife and (then) two children behind for 10 months before I could bring them over to the States. While I hated being away from them for that length of time, it was the best thing for us moving forward. We are now settled in a beautiful home and work is steady. The local school system is outstanding and the kids are being looked after better than at any time living in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I left my wife and (then) two children behind for 10 months before I could bring them over to the States. While I hated being away from them for that length of time, it was the best thing for us moving forward. We are now settled in a beautiful home and work is steady. The local school system is outstanding and the kids are being looked after better than at any time living in Ireland.

jesus, fair play.... i don't know if I'd be able to do that. I'm lucky enough to have a job so I don't have to worry about it, but that would be a nightmare for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

:facepalm:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yes op, you are missing something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Listening to a few news programmes over Christmas about Irish people heading back to England, Australia, Europe etc. after coming home for their holiers.
    Most have emigrated there due to the recession etc.
    Some sad stories of people (mostly Men) leaving the wives and children so they could go work abroad
    They were saying that no work in Ireland, HAVE to go abroad to get work
    Surely better to stay at home unemployed with your family/ young kids than work abroad alone
    WTF?
    Again, surely better to live at home with your famly in rented accommodation than live abroad alone.
    Some of these lads were abroad for years having left 2007, 2008 etc.
    Am I missing something?

(FYI - Some might hate their families chuckle chuckle)

Congratulations! You have just found a way for total world peace ......... make the armies stay at home - collecting the dole ;)

You gotta be kidding ...... better staying at home unemployed? Losing your house ......... your self esteem ........ your joie de vivre etc. If all that people do is sit around and moan all day ........ then that is not a healthy environment for anyone. Plus, you're doing people that are working a favour by not being a burden on the exchequer. Seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

WTF?
    It's not that simple. If you can't afford your mortgage, it's not as simple as chucking it in and moving to rented accommodation. The bank will hound you for years.

There's also a quality of life issue. If you stay on the dole, you have to move your entire family into council housing, with the distinct possibility of having undesirable if not dangerous neighbours, your kids have to go to poorer schools, you're constantly stressing about bills and being able to buy the kids presents, get the car fixed, save up for a short holiday or a mate's wedding.

Or...your family can stay where they are with the neighbours they already know, go to the schools that their friends go to, have money available to pay their bills and treat themselves every now and again, and basically have the quality of life that you would want for them. But you have to work abroad.

Choosing to stay at home just so you can be with your family would be distinctly selfish option IMO. That said, I would never view it as a long-term option, just one to weather the storm until work can be found at home again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A double life would be fun alright

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

I am happy that it worked out for you RM. And I understand completely that you left the family behind so you could go ahead, get accommodation, look at schools for them to follow. I understand this 100%. Well done

What i don't understand is people who are living away form their families for YEARS

Especially if it is paying for a mortgage.

Option #1: Stay in Ireland with Wife/ Kids and no money

Option #2: Stay away with no wife/ kids and HAVE money

Option #1 EVERYTIME

HANDS DOWN !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

It's not just about money, although other reasons are money related.

Due to the fact that there is not money in the government coffers, the state of the country is only going to get worse. Schools, hospitals, services...

With no jobs, no money for extras how could anyone NOT want to leave, provide for their families... lots of our grandfathers did the EXACT same thing in the 50s and 60s and went to the UK to work. It's part of the responsibility we face when we have a family, we have to do whatever it takes to make sure that they have exactly what they need!

• Advertisement

RachaelVO wrote: »

Due to the fact that there is not money in the government coffers, the state of the country is only going to get worse. Schools, hospitals, services...

With no jobs, no money for extras how could anyone NOT want to leave, provide for their families... lots of our grandfathers did the EXACT same thing in the 50s and 60s and went to the UK to work. It's part of the responsibility we face when we have a family, we have to do whatever it takes to make sure that they have exactly what they need!

Well said, Rachael auld girl!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I heard a requests on the Tony Fenton show for people heading back to oz after christmas and Tony kept saying " oh the lucky sods". But back on topic some people lived very expensive lifestyles during the boom and if there is a little pay off between daddy working away and affording to be able to bring the kids to school in a SUV then so be it, both parents can have the lifestyle they had a few years back allbeit away from each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

Do they not need a father at home before anything else?

What are extras?

Justin Bieber Tickets, Abercrombie Tops, Sony Playstations?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Do they not need a father at home before anything else?

What are extras?

Justin Bieber Tickets, Abercrombie Tops, Sony Playstations?

Of course they need a father at home, but there are plenty of single parent families out there who manage perfectly well. To imply anything else would be offensive to those single mothers.

Having said that, a father who will do what ever it take to ensure that his family have a roof over their heads and food on the table is a role model that his children can be proud of. BOTH my grandfathers worked in the UK decades ago, and their families needed it, and chances are it saved my mother, as she was a pretty sick child, and the money my Grandfather sent back kept them in clothes and kept a fire going in the winter! Are things that bad now, not quiet, but for some families it's not too far off it!

Extras, you think a playstation is an extra? Ehhh, no, school trips, birthdays, saving for Christmas, the odd day out as a treat. Is that too much to ask for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Of course they need a father at home, but there are plenty of single parent families out there who manage perfectly well. To imply anything else would be offensive to those single mothers.

I don't think it would. And what you're saying seems pretty offensive to any father.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Plenty of fellas around to fill in the void

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Its not as hard as it use to be, when I was in the US a call home cost an arm and a leg, now with the internet it's free and you can see each other as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

My dad spends approx 10 months of the year out of the country working, and has done for the last 4 years. He's in his late 50's and there is bugger all work for him hear in Ireland.

Although my siblings and I are all grown up ( youngest in college) it is incredibly hard not having him around. We talk a few times a week on skype but its just not the same. Its incredibly hard for my mother and she can get quite down while he is away, to be honest we all miss him terribly.

My parent's sold our old house in 2004 and downsized, they got a fair deal on a house but had to borrow/mortgage to do up the new house and make it habitable. At my age my parents should be planning their retirement and I think its a travesty that my father has to travel 7000 K to find work just to pay for the roof over their heads.

He is home at the moment but will be flying out again this weekend. We wont see him again till March. I'm dreading the trip to the airport to wave him off.

My brother left for Australia 3 years ago, and while I miss him terribly he is doing well for himself out there and I am very proud of him. He has no plans to come home anytime in the foreseeable future. Again, we talk a few times a week online, but its not the same as having them here. I'm hoping to get out to see him this year, but money is tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

I hope to emigrate next year when I'm finished college no other choice really why should spend 4 years of my life working my balls off to do a wpp scheme for 200 euro a week or just sit at home living my mammy till Im 35.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I heard a requests on the Tony Fenton show for people heading back to oz after christmas and Tony kept saying " oh the lucky sods".

In a way the guy is right.

Seeing as how his show isint broadcast in Australia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 cattlejobber

i work in a mine in western Australia. my wife is at home in ireland. had my own construction company and employed 23 people at its height. got sued and a couple of people did not pay left me 60,000 in the red. so choices were limited declare my self bankrupt or dig deep for a year or 2 and try and paw my way out of it. getting 100/120 euro a day at home was not going to go a long way to live and pay off dept. there was no point in my wife comming with me and sitting in perth on her own for weeks on end. there is more to peoples choices than you think its A GUN TO SOME PEOPLES HEADS

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I'm sick of people "emigrating" on one year work visas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

People need to ****ing stop rationalising emigration, it's not normal and it's not the way things go. There is an inherent problem causing it, current economic ideas are flawed when people around the world have to leave their homes and family's just to survive.

The argument that our ancestors had to do it fails at the first hurdle. How long ago was that ..? What have we learned ..? The system is still the same and the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. It's just insane that the people who have to deal with this pain don't buck up and oppose it in some way. Insane ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

k.p.h wrote: »
    People need to ****ing stop rationalising emigration, it's not normal and it's not the way things go. There is an inherent problem causing it, current economic ideas are flawed when people around the world have to leave their homes and family's just to survive.

The argument that our ancestors had to do it fails at the first hurdle. How long ago was that ..? What have we learned ..? The system is still the same and the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. It's just insane that the people who have to deal with this pain don't buck up and oppose it in some way. Insane ...

People don't just emigrate because they need to,it's just a far better way of life elsewhere.People need to stop looking at emigration as some sort of prison sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

pmcmahon wrote: »
    I'm sick of people "emigrating" on one year work visas.

You have to blame RTE for that they coined it and now everyone believes it, we call them geese as in they migrate south for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 cgan086

Moved to australia about 7 months ago. A lot more work here, but on the other hand i am prepairing for a cyclone rite now so it's not all good:cool:

k.p.h wrote: »

If born in Donegal, married your partner from Cork and moved there......
    If born in Dublin, married your partner from Glasgow and moved there .....
    If born in Derry, married your partner from Faro and moved there .....
    If born in Kerry, married your partner from Frankfurt and moved there ....
    If born in Mayo, married your partner from Milan and moved there ..
    would you call that emigrating?

There is an inherent problem causing it, current economic ideas are flawed when people around the world have to leave their homes and family's just to survive.

If this was the case ........Ireland would be uninhabited. As would much of the world apart from a few lake shores in Africa. :D

I know some countryfolk who would not migrate to another county ........... I suspect you are one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Shrickman

Hear Hear!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

My uncle works in England and flies home every Friday to stay for the weekend with the family as he couldn't get a job here and found a great one over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Previous generations had to do it. They'd go over to England or America to work for a few months or longer to make ends meat while leaving the family behind. My uncle went to Poland recently leaving his family behind because there was construction work there and they had a mortgage to pay and this was a man who'd already left Ireland for England in his twenties due to the need for builders there in the 70's and 80's. It not an easy decision to make, but when there is no other option it has to be done.

Advertisement