Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

setting up a barber shop

Options
  • 10-01-2012 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

i am thinking of setting up a barber shop in my local town but am going to get someone into run it as am not trained in barbering has any one done this is it pratcial and what are the start up costs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭R3al

dixie365 wrote: »
    i am thinking of setting up a barber shop in my local town but am going to get someone into run it as am not trained in barbering has any one done this is it pratcial and what are the start up costs

If you are going to be paying someone else to manage/staff the barbers you would need to be sure of your figures before you set out as the margins are fairly tight, nowadays it is not unusual to find barbers offering haircuts for around EUR8.00.

There are loads of extra/hidden costs in running a business so you need to put all your outgoings down on paper and then come up with a realistic income figure for a start, then if it looks viable move into a full business plan, think about all the problems that might occur, such as your staff person being sick, staff turnover etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

You'll most likely be robbed blind if your not there and don't understand the business.

How are you going to know if you did 20 haircuts today or 40 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

Hammertime wrote: »
    You'll most likely be robbed blind if your not there and don't understand the business.

How are you going to know if you did 20 haircuts today or 40 ?

I agree, 100% confidence and trust in who will be running it for you is essential as is a cctv setup imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Trader1991

I always thought shopping centers were a good place for a barber shop. Got my hair cut recently in blanchardstown shopping center. very busy!

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Trader1991 wrote: »
    I always thought shopping centers were a good place for a barber shop. Got my hair cut recently in blanchardstown shopping center. very busy!

Very good point actually, and you can be more 'noticeable' in a shopping centre than on a busy (or empty!) street. You can make more use of signage/notices etc to call attention to your shop, guaranteed footfall, people aren't coming into your shop wet out of the rain (wet umbrellas/coats etc) - and there are plenty of empty units going!

• Advertisement
Advertisement