Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crimp socket Question

• 10-01-2012 4:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hello folks,

Hoping you can help me out here with a small problem of mine. One of the wires in an instrument I'm using has broken off at the pin, and needs to be stripped back and re-crimped into a new crimp socket. I'm looking for these type of pins

42248844.jpg
    26AWG to 22AWG

Are these available in normal outlets, or do I need to order them specially? Also - are crimping tools costly? To avoid hassle, I could just hire an electrician to do the job for me - are jobs like this fairly routine?

Pardon the newbie questions, Im a chemist so I dont deal with this stuff regularly. And cheers in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

AaronEnnis wrote: »
    Hello folks,

Hoping you can help me out here with a small problem of mine. One of the wires in an instrument I'm using has broken off at the pin, and needs to be stripped back and re-crimped into a new crimp socket. I'm looking for these type of pins

42248844.jpg
    26AWG to 22AWG

Are these available in normal outlets, or do I need to order them specially? Also - are crimping tools costly? To avoid hassle, I could just hire an electrician to do the job for me - are jobs like this fairly routine?

Pardon the newbie questions, Im a chemist so I dont deal with this stuff regularly. And cheers in advance!

Typically an electrican wouldn't really do this type of work. that's quite a small crimp terminal. If your doing work with lab equipment, its no harm to have a soldering iron around for when something like this breaks.

Can you post a picture of the connector that the crimp terminal goes into? I've never seen a pin like you've posted. If you need to get it up and running quickly you may well be able to re-solder the wire onto the crimp as a temp fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭AaronEnnis

34ubc.jpg

The red wire will fit into the new pin, replacing the corroded one on the left.

Are you sure the wire was crimped inside there? It looks like it was just soldered. It looks like the back of the plug is "tinned" so solder will take to it. Examine the other one to see how its joined.....

Im not sure personally, but the instrument engineer assures me it was crimped anyway. If soldering is all it needs though, I might just strip back the wire and solder it in. Would soldering provide a stable enough connection?

AaronEnnis wrote: »
    Im not sure personally, but the instrument engineer assures me it was crimped anyway. If soldering is all it needs though, I might just strip back the wire and solder it in. Would soldering provide a stable enough connection?

Yep nothing wrong with soldering, the other end of the wire is definitely soldered in the picture. Is it just a connector pin? It will get a little hot when soldering (especially if your not used to it) so just make sure the heat doesn't damage anything else....

• Advertisement

Yeah, definitely - damage limitation is the key here, haha. Excellent stuff mate, that's much appreciated. Saves me buying a crimping tool, I'll pick up a standard soldering iron for future use.

Get one with as fine a tip as possible.

Check out deal extreme too, sometimes have ok stuff there.

Advertisement