Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My iPhone 4 Contract is up...Which Network now?

• 10-01-2012 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi all,

As said above my contract is up on my iPhone 4 and it is unlocked so I can freely change Network.....but which one?

I am currently with 3 mobile and I'm quite happy....Their 30 Day Sim only Contract with 350 Flexi units and AYCE data for €30.50pm is quite good but I'm torn between that and Meteors' €15.25pm 30 Day Sim only contract with 200 mins 200 texts and 1GB data! :confused:

I know there was a lot of problems with Meteor and the iPhone 4S recently, but what is their Network like in general for 3G, call quality etc.? The price is fantastic value at the moment. I have not included 02 or Vodafone as their prices are far too high for what you get I believe!

Hope you can help me make a decision...thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

gartcork wrote: »
    Hi all,

As said above my contract is up on my iPhone 4 and it is unlocked so I can freely change Network.....but which one?

I am currently with 3 mobile and I'm quite happy....Their 30 Day Sim only Contract with 350 Flexi units and AYCE data for €30.50pm is quite good but I'm torn between that and Meteors' €15.25pm 30 Day Sim only contract with 200 mins 200 texts and 1GB data! :confused:

I know there was a lot of problems with Meteor and the iPhone 4S recently, but what is their Network like in general for 3G, call quality etc.? The price is fantastic value at the moment. I have not included 02 or Vodafone as their prices are far too high for what you get I believe!

Hope you can help me make a decision...thanks! :)

It sounds like you have already made the decision. If you happy on three don't move anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭gartcork

It sounds like you have already made the decision. If you happy on three don't move anywhere.

It's half the price on Meteor though...:confused:

Are people on iPhones or any smartphones generally happy with the Meteor Network or is it a case of better the Devil you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

Stay away from Meteor. There's a reason why they are so cheap. I've had nothing but trouble with iPhone 4S on Meteor, customer support is almost non-existent.

Stay away from Meteor. There's a reason why they are so cheap. I've had nothing but trouble with iPhone 4S on Meteor, customer support is almost non-existent.

Yeah, I've seen the threads on Meteor/emobile regarding the 4S alright....not good!:eek:

Are these problems just a 4S issue.....do they affect iPhone 4, 3GS etc. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Three have dropped their free "add on" and haven't replaced it with anything, have a feeling they'll come up with new deals pretty soon.

Have you thought about Three PAYG for the time being?

• Advertisement

TheZohan wrote: »
    Three have dropped their free "add on" and haven't replaced it with anything, have a feeling they'll come up with new deals pretty soon.

Have you thought about Three PAYG for the time being?

I noticed that alright....Hopefully even cheaper prices!

Actually I didn't even consider PAYG....so long on Billpay! I'll definitely look in to that...The joys of being contract free!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I was going to suggest 3pay too. I've an iPhone 4 and am on it. Does me for the month.

It's €20 top up every 30 days you get unlimited data, free texts, free 3 to 3 calls and free any network weekend calls. I haven't found any bill pay option that comes close to that.

If you've no issues with 3 then I'd say go for that!

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    I was going to suggest 3pay too. I've an iPhone 4 and am on it. Does me for the month.

It's €20 top up every 30 days you get unlimited data, free texts, free 3 to 3 calls and free any network weekend calls. I haven't found any bill pay option that comes close to that.

If you've no issues with 3 then I'd say go for that!

That does sound good.
    I tether to my iPad every now and then with personal hotspot....is it available or does this cost extra with PAYG?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

gartcork wrote: »
    That does sound good.
    I tether to my iPad every now and then with personal hotspot....is it available or does this cost extra with PAYG?

Its not going to be available on Three according to someone on the Three forum - They are going to/have started a Tethering add-on for contract, so I'd say its a gonner on 3Pay.
    Up to now they say its not covered under 3Pay.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Its not going to be available on Three according to someone on the Three forum - They are going to/have started a Tethering add-on for contract, so I'd say its a gonner on 3Pay.

:( That's a pity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Jailbreak and MyWi through Cydia will sort that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

As somebody who spent a number of years with an iPhone and recently switched to three on an iPhone I would say stick with three.

Meteors customer service is abysmal and so is their actual service. I got edge pretty much everywhere I went 3G was only in larger towns and cities. On three I cannot get over the coverage, I don't think I have ever seen edge up on the screen, almost always have coverage and I have to say their customer service is pretty good. I will never be returning to meteor, there is a reason they are so cheap. Great for candy bar phones that do nothing but call and text but for a smartphone you are wasting your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DermoMIO

on the meteor deal you mentioned for the last 18months or so, no problems with it and was going to go down the 3pay route until they dropped the price only had to contact customer support twice and both times been helpful and quick to answer just to add to others feedback on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

You'll get people freaking out about all the Networks. It's a case of finding one that your happy with. I'd probably stay with 3 if I was in your shoes. They have some good deals, especially if you use a lot of data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I'm with O2 myself out of contract next month i've been using a 3 microsim in the iPad for while now
    with the 20 euro top for all you can eat data with no problems i'll get another micro sim for the
    4s next month 3 are the best value around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

Meteor's signal isn't good indoors, and now I see I am being charged daily for internet despite supposedly having a 1GB data bundle. I'm fed up to the back teeth with Meteor.

There was a problem with https secure websites recently, they wouldn't acknowledge it. The iPhone weather app on iOS5 was broken for probably 2 months before they figured out what changes they needed to make to make their network work with it.

Customer service don't answer the phone. Emails go unanswered.

Thanks a million everyone.....the jury is still out but I think I'm veering to stay with 3. I might get a meteor micro-sim in the meantime and try it out in my area...a fairly rural spot in North Cork. I love Boards! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Meteor's signal isn't good indoors, and now I see I am being charged daily for internet despite supposedly having a 1GB data bundle. I'm fed up to the back teeth with Meteor.

Me too I have been with meteor for years and I love that plan 1 gb data free meteor texts €20pm.
    I got no text no warniging saying sorry that's goen up to €30!!! No thanks im going to 3 but what's this about a charge for teathering Internet to iPad etc? Are people happy enough with 3?

As I only want to spend €20 a month on credit this month 11 days only!! €20 is goen and by the end of the month I always had credit on the old plan so screw meteor..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

On the issue of Three's freebie addons,I got a text today to say mine has been extended until April 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

There is no tethering add on for 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Switched to 3pay in dec loving it. Also told in shop while tethering strictly not allowed they dont check it so work away

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Walkman wrote: »
    There is no tethering add on for 3

Yet.

This post has been deleted.

Patrick just confirmed, any new customers have new T&Cs which don't allow tethering/personal hotspot. Existing customers are ok - not sure if just for the duration of their contract, I have asked Patrick to clarify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

Just found out about this no more tethering on 3 which is a PITA as I will lose it if I take the upgrade I am due. Is it just the iPhone that they can restrict this on does anyone know? If I get an android phone can I tether away. Think I remember reading before that they cant restrict the APN on an android phone.

Advertisement