Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Van Halen song

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

The Sunday Times give it a decent review yesterday. Fella seemed to know what he was talking about. Must check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

The general consenus seems to be it's better than most people had expected. Not listened to it enough yet myself, but what I've heard is definitely encouraging...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I'm by no means the biggest Van Halen fan but I LOVE this album. I am actually shocked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Tattoo was a strange choice as single because it is by far the worst track on the album.

This album ROCKS!

If it doesn't put a smile on your face then you have problems...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Tattoo was a strange choice as single because it is by far the worst track on the album.

This album ROCKS!

If it doesn't put a smile on your face then you have problems...

I'm loving it so far - but only had a few listens, and I think it's gonna grow more on me......

I'm of the other opinion - I'm always amazed that bands/labels put the strongest song on an album as the first single - for me that just means the best is done and from their point of view everything after that isn't as good - I like the fact that a weaker song was released first, and it certainly is one of the weakest songs on the album :-) which I'm very pleasantly surprised by :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Of course the percieved best typically goes out as a single because when the crappest does (as suggested here) folks are left saying "that the best you got?!! Pass.."

on the other hand an already committed minority are left saying what a pleasant suprise. Hang on it's VH.. an American institution. make that majority

Christ it has bombed in the charts here. Haven't looked at the charts in years to be honest but still...

16 last week
    94 this week.

Meanwhile in America it is at #2 behind Adele. :mad:

They would have had #1 there if they released it a week earlier.

They should release You and Your Blues as the next single

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I don't think the mainstream audience has much of an interest in Hard Rock like this here. its much more popular in the US.

As others have said its not a great album, but it not terrible either. I mean the last one was abysmal. I like some tracks, some great riffs here and there, but no classics. I like Eddies tone on this one, but its a bit lost in the mix at time. Its kind of a noisy mix, if that's the right word. I've a VH fan off old, like some of the Hagar stuff, though prefer the old stuff in general. So I find myself tapping my foot to this album, and loving some of the riffs. I think EVH trying to do some new stuff here, rather than the formulaic stuff hes being doing for a long time now. The new stuff doesn't always work, but some times it does. Maybe I'm wrong but I get the impression some of this change is Wolfgang influence. Seems driven by the bass quite often.

Shows potential for the next album. If they last that long.

BostonB wrote: »
    I don't think the mainstream audience has much of an interest in Hard Rock like this here. its much more popular in the US.

As others have said its not a great album, but it not terrible either. I mean the last one was abysmal. I like some tracks, some great riffs here and there, but no classics. I like Eddies tone on this one, but its a bit lost in the mix at time. Its kind of a noisy mix, if that's the right word. I've a VH fan off old, like some of the Hagar stuff, though prefer the old stuff in general. So I find myself tapping my foot to this album, and loving some of the riffs. I think EVH trying to do some new stuff here, rather than the formulaic stuff hes being doing for a long time now. The new stuff doesn't always work, but some times it does. Maybe I'm wrong but I get the impression some of this change is Wolfgang influence. Seems driven by the bass quite often.

Shows potential for the next album. If they last that long.

Not a great album?:confused: This is getting really great reviews across the board. It is right up there with their best work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I don't mean not great as in terrible, I mean not great as in not one of the "great" albums.
    I'm enjoying it. But I had to make a top 10 of my favourite tracks I don't think any tracks on this album would get in there. Top 20 maybe.

• Advertisement

I've been listening to this album a lot and I'm loving it now, even Tattoo. There are a lot of similarities with their first albums - I know some tracks are made from demos from that era, so no surprises, but it works really well. I thought I'd miss Mike, but to be honest, I'm not. But I'm glad Dave is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

stay frosty stand out track!
    any word on european tour?
    O2 anyone?

seanin4711 wrote: »
    any word on european tour?
    O2 anyone?

don't hold your breath...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Having had very low expectations for it , Im actually enjoying it ... This is my current fav tune on it ...

Advertisement