Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College snobbery

Options
  • 10-01-2012 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Who thinks that a lot , not all but a good proportion of people from ordinary working class and middle class town and cities who go to colleges like Maynooth , Trinity and DCU etc turn into complete pretentious pricks after a few weeks in these places and look down on people who go to IT 's and others who dont go to college at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Viral Vector

Definately OP!

A friend of mine went to UCD to do medicine....he turned into a prick and jibed me because I went to NUIG to do a medicine-type course!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Trader1991

Definately OP!

A friend of mine went to UCD to do medicine....he turned into a prick and jibed me because I went to NUIG to do a medicine-type course!

Ive a few friends in GMIT and they reckon NUI are the worst for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

I don't agree... in my area of college everyone is laid-back. Say if you were out in a "mixed" group of people, none of my friends/course mates would care if someone in that group didn't have the same "educational status".

I know and am friendly with a lot of people in IT's and other colleges, and I would never view them as "inferior".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

I disgree with you there But I know were you coming from. have you noticed that those so called posh ones especially the girls look at the middle class ones with a snobbish attitude.

those ones from castle knock in particular who think they're that posh lol

Most of my friends planned on going to Nui maynoth but only a handful 3 of us made it while one wento to ucd, but not once did we mock the others.

In fact we came to the conclusion that everyone should have It colleges as their last option because most of my friends had it in their mind not go to to any IT except DIT, but their last option Institute of technology saved their asses.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think a lot of it to do with the age people happen to be when they go to college.
    It's immaturity - the sort of thing makes you cringe when you remember doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

PLC's are looked down on a lot.

Not as much IT's in my experience.

Arts degrees always, mostly because we have so many free hours.

And this is coming from an NUIM student:P.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grodge

I dont seem to notice it too much. I studied in DIT and I'm in DCU at the moment.

The snob factor comes in when people make comparisons to similar courses across colleges i.e Trinity Engineering is better than DIT Engineering etc etc ad infinitum...

As mentioned above, immaturity can be a big factor. But that problem is easily weeded out usually by people thinking they can walk into jobs because their degree is written in Latin and not English!

People who look down their nose at others will realise the error of their ways when they have a 'fancy' university degree and are working as a receptionist in some poxy hair salon

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

What about multinational CEOs who are snobbish in this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grodge

dambarude wrote: »
    What about multinational CEOs who are snobbish in this way?

I don't think that they are being snobbish but what major corporations are looking for are degrees that are ranked internationally against comparable degrees.

Unfortunately at the moment we rank poorly internationally, but domestically they would still look at those ranks, which give a good indication of the quality of the degree.

That's not to say that a person with a 1.1 in a degree ranked 5th in Ireland will do worse that someone with a 2.1 in a degree ranked higher. It's just a starting point for them to consider possible candidates.

At least here it's not as bad as the "old boys club" mentality they have in the states, only recruiting from Ivy League for example.

If you went for an interview and the HR manager was looking down their nose at your hard earned qualifications would you be happy to work in that environment?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Trader1991 wrote: »
    Ive a few friends in GMIT and they reckon NUI are the worst for it

disagree. I know people who are in both (and who have been to both)- GMIT seem to have this "NUIG students look down on us" mentality wheras the NUIG people really couldn't give a sh!te

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

Yeah I believe a huge snobbery exists. Most people turn their noses up to ITs, instead preferring to go to those universities.

I dunno why they prefer Uni's, I find you meet a lot more down to earth people in ITs and plus usually the class sizes are smaller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Definitely exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

karaokeman wrote: »
    PLC's are looked down on a lot.
    Still seen as better than an Arts degree, though, but snobbery is never logical.

Advertisement