Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS1 Game recommendation

• 10-01-2012 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I recently got the PS1 out of the attic after many years and the kids have been having great fun with it. They particularly like Crash Bandicoot.

Can anyone recommend a similar game for the PS1?

I got them Croc 2 but it's not the same at all. He has to travel through different areas to collect things and it's all very slow and they don't like it.

I'm looking for something similar to Crash. I see quite a few games on ebay which say they are similar to Crash but I'm not so sure about some of them. I've heard Croc compared to Crash but it's not really the same.

The appeal of Crash is that you go through a level from start to finish getting a little better each time. Forwards or sideways I don't mind. But I'm not looking for something like Croc where you have a whole massive area to cover, if that makes any sense!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's not really that many good platformers like that on the PS1. There's Klonoa and Tombi but they are ridiculously expensive. You could give the Medievil games a go. Maybe Ape Escape. There's Crash Bandicoot 2 and 3. Also kids love the Spyro games, well worth playing!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭T0mmyM

If they like Crash Bandicoot then why not Crash 2 and 3. Also, Crash Team Racing is a classic (Kart racer)

Rayman may be worth a look aswell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

Rayman and Spyro come to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭devilsad

Yes. I have Crash 1,2 & 3.

I'll have a look at the ones mentioned, thanks.

isn't Crash Team Racing just a racing game? They played formula1 and got bored quickly so I'm not interested in racing games.

I'm surprised to see that some PS1 games are expensive. Are they not all 2nd hand at this stage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Not quite the same thing but any of the Oddworld games are a must.

• Advertisement

devilsad wrote: »
    Yes. I have Crash 1,2 & 3.

I'll have a look at the ones mentioned, thanks.

isn't Crash Team Racing just a racing game? They played formula1 and got bored quickly so I'm not interested in racing games.

I'm surprised to see that some PS1 games are expensive. Are they not all 2nd hand at this stage?

It would be more fun for kids than a formula one game, it involves weapons and fun tracks, but if that's no their thing then best to give it a miss.

Yeah some games can be expensive, mostly down to how hard they are to get hold of.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Crash Team Racing is more like Mario Kart. They'll love it and it's great in 2 or even 4 player. Speed Freaks would be another one to try and should be dirt cheap.

As for PS1 games being expensive, yes they are all second hand at this stage but some games were only made in small quantities and/or are highly sought after therefore they have become rare and collectible. Some PS1 games can go for as much as 250 euros, but only the right games mind you. Klon and Tombi will set you back about 80 euros because they were ignored on release but people have since realised that they are really good. Something popular like Crash Bandicoot or Spyro should set you back less than a tenner.

That's great. Thanks everyone. I bought Rayman for a tenner, so I'll see how they get on with that. I might try CTR as well.

Thanks again.

I had a look at the game play of Rayman & Spyro on Youtube (can't believe I didn't think of that first!). Rayman looks aexactly like the type of game they'll like. Spyro looks a lot more like Croc with whole areas to cover rather than a continuous level, so I think I'll give it a miss. Anything else like Rayman or Crash?

Thanks.

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

Slightly off topic here and I apologise for it but perhaps you could try emulating some old snes or sega games? The original Sonic 1 and 2 still hold up against more recent platforms in my opinions, they are simple to play but difficult to master and the simple coloured levels and characters should be appealing.

• Advertisement

Thanks vadar,

What do you mean by 'emulating'? Did they make a Sonic the Hedghog game for PS1? I thought Sega was a different company?

I certainly think they'd like Sonic, but I'm nt going out to try and get a Megadrive, if that what your suggesting?

Or are there PS1 games similar to Sonic? Certainly Rayman looks very similar.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

I personally never liked Apes Escape - thought it was a poor imitation of Crash :)

Crash Team Racing is a racing game, but it's a fun one in keeping with the rest of the Crash Series (a bit like Mario Kart if you have ever seen that)

I loved all the Crash games (still do) and I would second the recommendations for:
    Abe's Oddessey - Fabulous, quirky platformer which gets gradually more difficult.
    Abe's Exodus - the sequel with lots of new skills (actually a bit easier as you could save anywhere)
    Spyro the Dragon - different levels similar to Crash Warped in terms of layout if memory serves. Lots of variety, collecting gems and bopping bad guys.

I would bet good money on them loving all of them - enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Hiya,

If you can find it, Pandemonium (think thats how it's spelt) might be a good one, it's fast paced and all different levels. Wild 9 might be an option too, but thats a bit more hardcore

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

Thanks vadar,

What do you mean by 'emulating'? Did they make a Sonic the Hedghog game for PS1? I thought Sega was a different company?

I certainly think they'd like Sonic, but I'm nt going out to try and get a Megadrive, if that what your suggesting?

Or are there PS1 games similar to Sonic? Certainly Rayman looks very similar.

Thanks.

Sorry for not being more clear, what I meant by emulating was to download software to your pc that lets you run old system game like sonic, if you do a quick google search for "sega emulator" you will be able to find all the info you need.

I had a look at the game play of Rayman & Spyro on Youtube (can't believe I didn't think of that first!). Rayman looks aexactly like the type of game they'll like. Spyro looks a lot more like Croc with whole areas to cover rather than a continuous level, so I think I'll give it a miss. Anything else like Rayman or Crash?

The difference between Spyro and Croc is that Croc is absolutely rubbish while Spyro is good game, might be work trying it out since it goes for pretty cheap.

I'd recommend against the Abes games. I think they are some of the best games ever made but your kids will find them way too hard. Also Pandemonium is a load of rubbish, don't go near it.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The difference between Spyro and Croc is that Croc is absolutely rubbish while Spyro is good game, might be work trying it out since it goes for pretty cheap.

Plus one to that right there - things might me a tad more open plan, but it's well worth playing. I remeber the flying levels with great joy :)
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd recommend against the Abes games. I think they are some of the best games ever made but your kids will find them way too hard. Also Pandemonium is a load of rubbish, don't go near it.

Hmm, don't underestimate the kids. Although I don't have any yet, so what do I know! Guess it depends on what age they are, my lil bro took to it like a fish to water, but he was probably 8 or 9.

It could be worth trying to pick up a few of the PS demos that used to float around, a great way of sampling a level before purchasing the game.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PS1-DEMO-Disk-came-original-PS1-/190624811875?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item2c621fcb63

And, if memory serves, I think the Crash games had the Spyro demo's on them... you might be able to test run it with the kids already!

After a quick google - on Crash 3:
    On the main menu screen with "New Game" and "Load Game" push the following in a row:
    Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, SQUARE
    Once done, the option for "Spyro the Dragon Demo" will be accessible.

Now I'm all nostalgic, and want to play them again :)

That's great. Thanks for all of that. I'll try the Spyro demo on them later.

Bah! The Spyro demo is only for American version. I watched it on YouTube and in that version only new game and load game appears on the main menu. In mine there's a third option for languages. So when I follow the instructions given I end up with the menu in Italian but no Spyro demo. Thanks anyway.

Bah! The Spyro demo is only for American version. I watched it on YouTube and in that version only new game and load game appears on the main menu. In mine there's a third option for languages. So when I follow the instructions given I end up with the menu in Italian but no Spyro demo. Thanks anyway.

That's strange, it works with my original European disc.

Legend. Tried it again and it worked. Don't know what I did the first time. Thanks!

• Advertisement

I tried the Spyro demo last night, admittedly not for very long and it's true to say it's much better than Croc. The moveability of him is better. However, I'm not sure if my kids will take to it. In fairmess, they're quite young, 7 & 5, which is why Crash is so great because it's very straightforward. I had completed Crash 1 and had it saved which means they can go back to any level and give it a go.

With Crash it takes quite a while to get to a point where it's difficult to continue. It didn't take me long on Spyro not to be able to continue, although as I said I didn't give it very long.

There a place near the start of the game called 'Town Square' where you have to free the various dragons. The 1st one tells you to glide accross the other side to the bulls to continue, but behind him I can see another bull and a dragon and crystals but it's too high to jump up to. So I went around the rest of the level and ended up on the other side where again I can see the bull and dragon etc., but I can't get up to it. The last dragon I got told me to look out for the chap in blue who has stolen the egg. I can't find him and I can't get up to get the last dragon. How do I get to him and where is the blue fella?

Thanks.

This guy does good level tutorials - here's the one for town square:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8SgzbRCdXw

Great. Thanks for that Kash. See, I'd never have figured that out where he glides around the corner to get up to the higher part, and that's in the first level!

Anyway, at least I'll be able to show the lads how to complete that part; not sure they'll get the hang of the flying levels though.

I played this last night until 12.45am, you can really start to see my dedication to the children's enjoyment of the PS1! :)

You're very welcome! Thanks to the reminiscing on this thread, I have just bought all the Crash games on the PS3 store, and am really looking forward to playing them again! Just the sort of mindless fun my pregnant body needs!

I can't get past the space ship thingy at the end of the third level of Crash 3 as I just don't have the patience for it. It takes too long to take out each of the guns/ targets.

Does anyone know of a cheat to get past this? The bits that my kids and I enjoy are the different levels and not the annoying bits at the end of each level. So far they've been straight forward, but this one is just too annoying. Any help appreciate.

No cheats that I could find but saw this which MAY help:
    Hint: Defeating N.Gin:
    N.Gin is very difficult. Start by shooting his gun when he stops shooting it. After those two are down, go after the missile launchers on his top. When they blow up, shoot his middle. He will transform into a ship which is even more difficult. Start by shooting the things that shoot out the blue energy balls. Then, shoot the missile launchers on top of him. Finish him off by blowing up the launcher that shoots the gold glowing mines.

After defeating N. Gin. and getting his bazooka, kill some monsters you have trouble with (for example, the coffin, UFO, and other future monsters).
    Information in this section was contributed by N. Gin & Spider Pan.

Just keep shooting the parts when they turn yellow. This is the amount of damage N.Gin's weapons do: missile 10%, purple ball 6%, and yellow ball 20%

I don't know any level skip cheats, but what I do before attempting a difficult level is to run through a few easy ones to build up your lives.

Thanks. I figured there were no cheats. I'm aware, having done it quite a few times which bits to go for first, it's just too boring to bother with. It takes far too long. That and I can't bloody well beat the damn thing! Crash 2 & Rayman will be along any day and I now have the Spyro deme to be getting on with.

Thanks.

Thanks. I figured there were no cheats. I'm aware, having done it quite a few times which bits to go for first, it's just too boring to bother with. It takes far too long. That and I can't bloody well beat the damn thing! Crash 2 & Rayman will be along any day and I now have the Spyro deme to be getting on with.

Thanks.

If you get desperate, see if there is a 22-25yr old nearby. My brother played those games to death as did his friends and I'm pretty sure he could beat the boss on first try, even if he hasn't played it in years :)

The git :D

• Advertisement

Here's how it should be done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kncIep-gGyw

I found this boss to be the hardest, just make sure to shoot the missiles as they are being fired at you.

This must be one of the 22-25 year olds mentioned earlier. Thanks for the link.

He/she seems to be firing much faster than I can. Is that just because younger fingers are faster or is there some trick to employ to fire faster? It's as if he's firing two at a time. The clip is only 2 mins long. It has been taking me longer than that to get ris of the first fella and he's easy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Some more games suggestions.

Soul Reaver: Legacy of Kain
    Platformy type game - bit like Tomb Raider by the same folk actually but you are a soul sucking vampire. I know it can be downloaded on PSN right now for the PS3 but the graphics and gameplay are not quite the same as the original - may be hard to get though.

This must be one of the 22-25 year olds mentioned earlier. Thanks for the link.

He/she seems to be firing much faster than I can. Is that just because younger fingers are faster or is there some trick to employ to fire faster? It's as if he's firing two at a time. The clip is only 2 mins long. It has been taking me longer than that to get ris of the first fella and he's easy!

I could be wrong but just in case, if you hold down the fire button does it not fire continuously as in the video?
    Taltos wrote: »
    Some more games suggestions.

Soul Reaver: Legacy of Kain
    Platformy type game - bit like Tomb Raider by the same folk actually but you are a soul sucking vampire. I know it can be downloaded on PSN right now for the PS3 but the graphics and gameplay are not quite the same as the original - may be hard to get though.

Ah lets be fair, Legacy of Kain took alot of critical thinking. I wouldn't expect a 7yr old to be able to keep up with that. Great game but maybe a few years too advanced for these guys.

RedXIV wrote: »
    I could be wrong but just in case, if you hold down the fire button does it not fire continuously as in the video?

Ah lets be fair, Legacy of Kain took alot of critical thinking. I wouldn't expect a 7yr old to be able to keep up with that. Great game but maybe a few years too advanced for these guys.

Jany. I never thought of that. My finger was hanging off after two attempts! I'll try that. Thanks.

Doesn't sound like Kain is what I'm looking for either. But thansk fir the suggestion all the same.

Just bought crash team racing for less than a tenner. At least they'll be able to play against each other.

I just got them to play formula 1 '97 (that's how old it is!) and I'd forgotten just how crap it is. Such a bore!

Ah Jaysus! I couldn't get past that fella 10 years ago either as I was hitting the button every time I wanted to fire. no wonder it was taking me so long. just got passed him to open up the last 5 rounds to much excitement. hold the bleeding' button down! Bloody hell.

Thanks a mil!

• Advertisement

Having finally beaten NGin I had 24 of 25 levels completed and my 5 year old decided to overwrite the saved game with his completion of level 1!

Thanks for all the suggestions. Any others like Rayman or Crash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Oisinoc

Hi Devilsad,

Im one of these 22-25 yr olds you speak of :) I was just asked to gid rid of some of my old games out of my parents house and I've got like 50 of the things. I was looking at ways to sell them and stumbled across your thread. Most would be too old for your children I would imagine but there might be a few which you may find suitable.

Here's a few incase you want to check them out on youtube or that:

Evo's space adventure, Medival 1 and 2, chicken run, a bugs life, mickeys wild adventure, rugrats search for reptar.

Let me know, if any of them would suit you. They wouldn't be the most popular games so they may not be what you're looking for at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I tell you what's a good, addictive and simple PS1 racer.... Micro Machines. My friends and I wasted hours playing that and it still gets dusted off occasionally.

Advertisement