Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ECCE Montessori & "Voluntary" Contributions

Options
  • 10-01-2012 6:07pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We applied and went for an "interview" with a good local Montessori school last October with our 3 yr old daughter. At the time we were told that the place was part of the scheme, but that they encouraged "voluntary" contributions to meet running costs. We figured, that's fine, we could handle a few quid given the savings we'll make on not paying for playschool.

After chasing them up since then, today we've been given the breakdown of what "free" means. To book a place, a deposit of over €500 is required, and the "voluntary" contritions mentioned are circa €200 per month. Naturally, applications without voluntary contributions are likely to be rejected. [Note, our daughter will only be attending the 3 hrs a day covered by the scheme.]

Is this typical, or am I right in thinking I should just report this place for effectively charging fees whilst claiming to be part of the scheme?!

[Mods - if this is wrong spot feel free to move. Also I haven't found a recent thread related!]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I've heard of Montessoris charging for an additional half hour over the three on the ecce but not this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

:eek: That is insane! I wouldn't mind paying a deposit to secure the place which could then be taken as a voluntary contribution. €200 a month plus the initial €500 is crazy money to be asking as they are being funded by the government and paid for these places!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Lola92 wrote: »
    :eek: That is insane!
    My thoughts exactly.

I fully intend to phone them and politely call them on their practice to see if they make a stately retreat and revise their expectations somewhat. If that fails I'll let them know a call will be made to the ECCE people.

Also, is there a directory of participating schools? I may well be looking for a new place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Hopefully it might have been a miscommunication and that isn't actually what you would have to pay!

Your local county childcare committee should be able to know of any other montessori's or pre-schools that are taking part in it afaik.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Sure a lot of play school / Montessoris only cost 200 per month.
    I think you need to check it with them again and report them if they are trying to charge that on top of the ecce money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I think that's really cheeky. My son is not old enough for ECCE but in his creche's price list they clearly do out the sums showing how much the monthly fee is reduced for full time kid's availing of the scheme and it's completely free for those only attending for the 2.25 hours a day. They do charge extra for music class but it's completely optional and not everyone avails of it.

According to citizen's info they are not allowed charge a booking deposit that is more than twice the weekly capitation fee (max €75 x 2). There's a contact email at the bottom of that site for the Dept of Children and Youth Affairs, I'd be dropping them a line.

These are the official rules of the scheme

Just talked with someone I know who has a child there.

Apparently the Montessori weren't going to join the scheme and had to capitulate last year when they lost all their students. However they got together with a bunch of other local creches and effectively formed some sort of a cartel whereby they all charge a 'voluntary' fee to make up the difference. It was more or less confirmed if you don't pay up, you don't get in.

Supposedly they got permission from someone in the department to ask for extra. Though I'd hazard the amounts envisaged weren't at that level.

To clarify, the 'contribution' is actually €600 a term (i.e. €1,800 pa), with the first term required as a deposit to book a place.

Free my arse.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Do not accept that.
    Report them, the rules are the same for everyone.
    Even community creches that are not for profit charities can not charge extra.

Will have to see what options are open before burning bridges.

I'll stay my hand for the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭MrTsSnickers

My stars that's incredible. You should absolutely report them, as well as those other creches that are engaging in the similar practices! That's disgraceful behaviour. Anyhew, I'm sure that there are specific laws regarding this associated with the free child care scheme. Also there are strict laws, as far as I know, regarding cartels and price fixing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I would definitely report them, that's daylight robbery :eek:

I would find it very dubious that they got any form of permission from the dept. to charge such extortionate fee's.

Hope you get sorted with a place soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

That is an outrage! Will you keep us up to date with what happens OP?
    Our little one is only 2 and in a great creche that do the ECCE scheme, and I just presumed it was straight forward re getting her into it when the time came around... truth be told I was more concerned about the age limitations and her starting too late... but the idea of paying additional for something that is supposed to be Govt funding and a booking fee to boot has me shocked!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

What are your options regarding other preschools, are there other ones close by you could send your child to? There are 2 community creches near me who allow the children to stay on an extra half hour and the parents pay 2e per day for this. This appears to be standard.

Do you know if there are any rules in place as to how the preschools determin who gets a place if they are limited. Does it work on the area you live in, first come first served or something else? Maybe there are guidelines in place like there is in schools.

Thanks for the replies, all.

Am only starting to look to alternatives. I expected this place - which is fantastic by all accounts - to be (save for some nominal contribution) free until yesterday.

If I uncover something interestIng I will of course revert.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Baky

I would no longer consider it fantastic if I were you - that would give me a very bad taste in my mouth. I called Citizen's Information to check if the local creche who were charging a top up on the ECCE scheme were within their rights and they said they were but within a certain limit - I cannot remember what it was but it was reasonable and to allow for additonal staff, hot lunches, whether we were going for a 52 week year etc. and extra hours.

I have noticed huge variations depending on the address - my friends in less salubrious areas of the northside are getting a better deal - no top ups. ON the southside all the creches are charging the same sort of top up. But the figures you have been quoted are criminal, opportunistic and greedy. Sounds like some of the insulation companies, who are considering the government grant as a gimme and just charging you the same again, as if the grant is not yours, it's theirs.

Report report report.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭coolhandluke

Dades wrote: »

Apparently the Montessori weren't going to join the scheme and had to capitulate last year when they lost all their students. However they got together with a bunch of other local creches and effectively formed some sort of a cartel whereby they all charge a 'voluntary' fee to make up the difference. It was more or less confirmed if you don't pay up, you don't get in.

Supposedly they got permission from someone in the department to ask for extra. Though I'd hazard the amounts envisaged weren't at that level.

To clarify, the 'contribution' is actually €600 a term (i.e. €1,800 pa), with the first term required as a deposit to book a place.

Free my arse.

That is crazy, it cost us a sum total of €50 to secure a place for our little one and i'm nearly sure we got that back after the first month and this is in dublin, i was under the impression that they were not allowed to charge top up fees full stop which an "involuntary" fee effectively is.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭guppy

Is this for only the standard "free" hours, or for extra time on top of that? My son's playschool charged me €61.50 per week, but he was there 9-2, 5 days a week so I had no complaints about it.

The deposit (which was paid before the ECCE scheme was introduced) was 2 weeks fees, refunded when he left them.

Free my arse.

Oh I actually misread your first post - thought you said they were looking for €200 per week, not per month. So actually the top up they are charging is €34 per week which is pretty good I think, depending on what hours they are giving you for that - that's the cost spread over 52 weeks - which I presume you can avail of if you want - as the ECCE grant is €205 per month for 12 months. If you can do terms, then your top up is €50 per week.

Our preschool took a deposit but took that off the first bill. However the charges are €892 - €205 per month full time (8 - 6pm Mon to Friday) so that's €687 per month. The least amount of hours available are 4 mornings per week (8am to 1pm) and that is €455 - €205 per month which is a €250 top up, which is €1,500 per annum, similar to what you have quoted. When you break it down, it means they are charging €5.60 per hour (in total) to look after your child (and not just look after - educate, play, feed etc) so I guess it's quite cheap when you consider what you might have to pay an unqualified babysitter to sit on your couch while your child is asleep.

As I said in an earlier post, I have friends in other areas who can get 3 hours a day, 5 mornings a week for free on the ECCE. Not sure how they can do that as they are only charging €3.40 per hour.

Interesting what you say about a cartel - all the preschools/play schools/creches in this area are the same with regard to fees despite a huge variety in facilities and services (some are mere playgroups in halls, others are montessoris with qualified teachers and full kitchens serving hot food etc.) - I called them all between Booterstown and Dalkey. If there is fixing going on, it's not in the pricing as such - it's in the availability of hours. Basically the ECCE allows for 3 hours every morning = 15 hours per week. None of the schools in this area will offer less than 20 hours per week so that is what you are paying for.

Baky wrote: »
    Oh I actually misread your first post - thought you said they were looking for €200 per week, not per month. So actually the top up they are charging is €34 per week which is pretty good I think, depending on what hours they are giving you for that - that's the cost spread over 52 weeks -....

Ah that's how I read it too, sorry op I thought it was an additional €200 per week. An extra €50 p/w to top up the hours/bring them to full time seems about right.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i am involved with certain aspects of the administration of the ECCE scheme.

i am telling you they are talking out of their hole when they said they got permission to charge extra.

get on to your local childcare commitee immediately, tell you want Pobal to do an unannounced compliance visit.

then get on to the department of children and youth affairs - 01 6354000 - and say the same thing to them.

oh and the deposit is 100% refundable.

here is a list of all the ccc's https://www.pobal.ie/Funding%20Programmes/Early%20Education%20and%20Childcare/Pages/CCCContacts.aspx

your child is entitled to 3 hours free creche time every day
    i am fuming reading this

• Advertisement

Oh I actually misread your first post - thought you said they were looking for €200 per week, not per month. So actually the top up they are charging is €34 per week which is pretty good I think, depending on what hours they are giving you for that - that's the cost spread over 52 weeks - which I presume you can avail of if you want - as the ECCE grant is €205 per month for 12 months. If you can do terms, then your top up is €50 per week.
    Yes, it is good value except for the fact that as part of the ECCE scheme it's supposed to be free.
    Interesting what you say about a cartel - all the preschools/play schools/creches in this area are the same with regard to fees despite a huge variety in facilities and services (some are mere playgroups in halls, others are montessoris with qualified teachers and full kitchens serving hot food etc.) - I called them all between Booterstown and Dalkey. If there is fixing going on, it's not in the pricing as such - it's in the availability of hours. Basically the ECCE allows for 3 hours every morning = 15 hours per week. None of the schools in this area will offer less than 20 hours per week so that is what you are paying for.
    Ah that's how I read it too, sorry op I thought it was an additional €200 per week. An extra €50 p/w to top up the hours/bring them to full time seems about right.
    There is no topping up of hours. We were told our times were 9-12, which was all we wanted. So the €200 per week has nothing to do with hours outside the free scheme.

Baky, do you still have a list of Montessori in those areas (or a link to one)? These are the areas I'll be ringing around too. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

can you tell what part of the country you are in?

Yes, it is good value except for the fact that as part of the ECCE scheme it's supposed to be free.

There is no topping up of hours. We were told our times were 9-12, which was all we wanted. So the €200 per week has nothing to do with hours outside the free scheme.

Baky, do you still have a list of Montessori in those areas (or a link to one)? These are the areas I'll be ringing around too. :)

So it is only 3 hours per day?? I've got a feeling I know which creche you are talking about. Is this the one which famously (or infamously) hands you back your small baby at the end of the day fed, washed, changed and ready for bed? Sounds almost sinister.

I don't have a list as I used the list on schooldays.ie as far as I remember. If you want to PM me I'll tell you two or three I really don't recommend in this area.

irishbird wrote: »
    i am involved with certain aspects of the administration of the ECCE scheme.

i am telling you they are talking out of their hole when they said they got permission to charge extra.

get on to your local childcare commitee immediately, tell you want Pobal to do an unannounced compliance visit.

then get on to the department of children and youth affairs - 01 6354000 - and say the same thing to them.

oh and the deposit is 100% refundable.

here is a list of all the ccc's https://www.pobal.ie/Funding%20Programmes/Early%20Education%20and%20Childcare/Pages/CCCContacts.aspx

your child is entitled to 3 hours free creche time every day
    i am fuming reading this

irishbird I was saying I thought it fair enough to top up for extra hours - as I presumed that's what the charge was for. If it's for the standard 15 hour entitlement - well yes then that's bound to be against the rules of the scheme. Does make me wonder though as well about my creche not making the basic 15 hours available. Think I'll call the DLR area co-ordinator myself and suggest a pobal inspection. Thanks for the useful info.

irishbird wrote: »
    can you tell what part of the country you are in?
    I don't have a list as I used the list on schooldays.ie as far as I remember. If you want to PM me I'll tell you two or three I really don't recommend in this area.
    PM's sent. :)

I don't want too much transparency on this as it's unresolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

https://www.pobal.ie/Funding%20Programmes/Early%20Education%20and%20Childcare/Pages/CCCContacts.aspx

This web page may help you op?

Have you enroled her in a primary school, can they suggest a good montessori school. Would you mention this extra payment to the principal and see if they have heard of this practice.

I would'nt pay either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭superslimme

I couldn't just not reply when I saw this thread. I am a preschool teacher and owner for the past 10 years. I have above the recommended level of (all qualified) teaching staff, I do an array of play, activities and curriculum based work with the preschool children. I also design individual behavior management plans (when required by parents) to assist the management of behavoiurs within the home and I do no charge ANY extra money or ask for voluntary contributions. It is my choice to offer this extra service but as with ALL contracts with department NO early years service is permitted to insist on a voluntary contribution. I am so sick of hearing this, whether the place is good bad or indifferent, has higher qualified staff or has better ratios than the preschool/playschool/Montessori down the road THEY ARE BREAKING A LEGAL CONTRACT BY DOING THIS, if you don't want to pay the voluntary fee, you do not have to. First thing to do is get on to the local childcare committee and ask for a copy of the fee policy for your chosen service. The fee policy is the services' submission of requested "voluntary fees" and has to be signed off before contracts are given. Then report them. Please if you do not feel comfortable reporting these services, send me their details and I'll do it. These greedy people are taking the pi*? >:-(

Sorry Dades, my bad I thought it was for extra hours/meals etc. Back to my original thoughts, bad form of the nursery!
    Hope you get sorted with a place soon, this seems like a really frustrating situation to be stuck in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭superslimme

and please users ......... saying "well it is only costing us €30 a week and was €80" etc etc, is still the same thing, these places are not allowed to do this. For children attending during school term only, the service must provide 3 hours preschool per day 5 days a week or 3.5 hours per day 4 days a week, without any extra cost to the parent for 38 weeks. If that service offers another OPTIONAL extra hour a day, they can ask for payment as they have provided the 3hrs*5 days * 38 weeks free of charge. If a child attends a service for the whole 52 weeks of the year. That service must allow 2hrs 15 mins per day free for 50 weeks of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 sheebah

Hi there - I own a creche in which i participate in the ecce scheme and have never heard of that!! thats crazy - the ecce directorate in dublin is who you contact about that - i think the number is 016354000

community creches are no different than private (which i am) i have heard of places taking deposits but of one weeks fee of 64.50 not 500!!

why are you leaving the child in that creche? you should have transferred in January which is the only time you can transfer unless calling that number. you may have to pay elsewhere.

did you sit down with the manager?

Advertisement