Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

201 Class Locomotives

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

A flame-grilled 230 has been spotted outside York Road attached to 112 and an EGV. There are apparently weird wires sticking out of each of its cab side windows.

Hungerford wrote: »
    A flame-grilled 230 has been spotted outside York Road attached to 112 and an EGV. There are apparently weird wires sticking out of each of its cab side windows.

There's some photos on Chris Playfair's site:

http://chrisplayfair.smugmug.com/Travel/2013-Photos/August-2013/31150253_dQFZfg#!i=2722224345&k=K48F5c7&lb=1&s=A

Looks like 230's braking is knackered so they had to run a brake pipe from 112, pass it through 230's cab windows, and out to the EGV at the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Karsini wrote: »
    There's some photos on Chris Playfair's site:

http://chrisplayfair.smugmug.com/Travel/2013-Photos/August-2013/31150253_dQFZfg#!i=2722224345&k=K48F5c7&lb=1&s=A

Looks like 230's braking is knackered so they had to run a brake pipe from 112, pass it through 230's cab windows, and out to the EGV at the back.

Anyone know why the EGV was attached to the transfer?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Anyone know why the EGV was attached to the transfer?
    Additional braking capacity I'd assume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

230 was at Connolly shed coupled to 072 at 7:30 this morning. It is in a bad way alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Anyone know why was the EGV running on the transfer with 230? To power the lights?

n0brain3r wrote: »
    Anyone know why was the EGV running on the transfer with 230? To power the lights?

To provide brake force as 230s brakes are not in working order so effectively without the EGV, 112 has 110 tons of dead weight inertia behind it when it tries to stop. The brakes on an 071/112 when working as a light engine are not the best performers especially in poor rail conditions.

Does the generator in the EGV need to be running to provide braking though? It looks from the pics that its running. I was thinking that the if the brake lines when damaged there was a fair chance the electrics are fried too and the generator was powering the tail lights on the carriage.

I think the tail lights are battery powered.

Does the generator in the EGV need to be running to provide braking though? It looks from the pics that its running. I was thinking that the if the brake lines when damaged there was a fair chance the electrics are fried too and the generator was powering the tail lights on the carriage.

They could have used anything with working brake lines to act as brake force. It was just handy to use the spare EGV at YorkRoad. Nothing to do with powering lights.

It's like the way IE use spare spoil or weedspray tanker wagons with the Sperry wagon to add brake force when needed.

• Advertisement

I have a photo of 159 hauling 206 through Lisburn when 206 was being hauled back to Inchicore after its fire. On that occasion there was no van involved so the brakes were probably still working despite how badly damaged the loco was.

It seemed that 072 didn't use anything for brake force either but then again it's only a short hope to Inchicore and the hassle of getting the EGV back to Belfast would not be worth it.

They could have used anything with working brake lines to act as brake force. It was just handy to use the spare EGV at YorkRoad. Nothing to do with powering lights.

It's like the way IE use spare spoil or weedspray tanker wagons with the Sperry wagon to add brake force when needed.

I get that just wondering why the generator was running in the EGV and what if anything was it powering

I get that just wondering why the generator was running in the EGV and what if anything was it powering

I was curious of that myself, as to why the generator was running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

231 on the 11.00 Enterprise at Connolly this morning !

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

204 & MK3s on 1750 Heuston Galway crossing the Curragh 12-May-2008

Noisy 201! I'm guessing here because I didn't see it but between 9 & 10 this morning and again about 10 mins ago quite a loud loco passed Sallins. I don't think it was an 071 and the times tie in with 9:00 Heuston Cork and the 12:20 Cork Heuston services are they worked by the same set?

Is 220 still going around unsilenced?

That's what it sounded like a engine with a dodgy silencer. When I first heard a couple of days ago I thought it was in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

233 was around connolly yesterday

227 is back on the Enterprise after being the standby 201 at Connolly on Monday. 233 arrived into Connolly at 16:15 with the afternoon Enterprise.

Still trying to track down the long missing 228 though.

270464.JPG

233 on a Belfast bound Enterprise this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

With reference to the rear of the loco in the above picture, I noticed two Enterprise 201s with heavy corrosion/holes/damage on panels above that air intake type of device.

Seems pretty serious with regards to maintenance. I'm thinking I saw 207 and 209 today at Connolly. One parked up, the other on the evening Enterprise.

Do the other 201s have similar issues?

Yeah 207 and 209 have paint pealing around the vents on the number 2 cab ends, looks really bad. 227 is also showing alot of faded orange on it's roof from the silver paint pealing off.

227 arrived in Connolly at 16:20 with a DD set in HEP mode. There was no EGV on the set. The saga continues.

• Advertisement

227 arrived in Connolly at 16:20 with a DD set in HEP mode. There was no EGV on the set. The saga continues.

That sounds odd. Any time I saw the EGVs in service, the HEP cables weren't connected to the 201.

Karsini wrote: »
    That sounds odd. Any time I saw the EGVs in service, the HEP cables weren't connected to the 201.

What I mean is it's back to square one, there is at least one DD set in service with no EGV. Whatever problems there were with the EGVs, they have not solved them. I can see 209 going back to Cork and freight runs.

What I mean is it's back to square one, there is at least one DD set in service with no EGV. Whatever problems there were with the EGVs, they have not solved them. I can see 209 going back to Cork and freight runs.

Ah sorry, was reading it on my phone and missed the no EGV part. :o

Yeah 207 and 209 have paint pealing around the vents on the number 2 cab ends, looks really bad. 227 is also showing alot of faded orange on it's roof from the silver paint pealing off.

Ahh, well if its paint that's better though it looks like full on corrosion and holes from a short distance. That's what dark paint does to the eyes anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

233 just pulling into Connolly with an EGV in the set.

• Advertisement

Don't know if all 3 sets are back to EGVs but I saw two sets today with them. 206+EGV on the 7:35ex Connolly and 227+EGV arriving at 16:15 into Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

All three are. Presumably there was a minor fault with one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

226 was the loco on the cork - Dublin service at 16.20. I didn't see the DVT number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

234 is sitting in Kent station having arrived from Dublin with 4006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Saw 231 about 13:25 at Connolly platform 2 without an EGV again.

Saw 231 about 13:25 at Connolly platform 2 without an EGV again.

It had one this morning at 7:00 in Connolly, almost sure of it, was half asleep at the time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

There was an EGV in the coach sidings at Connolly this morning, parked with RPSI 461. Ive no idea if this is the 4th 'spare' EGV or not though

I noted 209 on the 7:35 service at Connolly while 206 was shut down on the turn table. Then at 16:15 206 shunted to the wash road and back to the turn table to shut down again. I thought it was going to swap for 227 that arrived at same time with the down Enterprise.

212 & MK3s working the 1435 Heuston-Galway at Stacumny Bridge on 28-January-2009

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

231 on the 16.05 Belfast-Connolly today, no EGV, HEP in full flight

• Advertisement

211 on 1705 Heuston Limerick at Hazelhatch 24-October-2006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭RonanM123

224 was removed from service yesterday evening after arriving with the 15.20 from Cork, developed a fault between Limierck Junction and Portlaoise. Didn't see the replacement number but think it was 22 something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

207 on the 11:00 down Enterprise this morning passing through Harmonstown :cool:

222 & 215 worked IWT trains today and have been on them for the past week give or take.

222 passed today on a Ballina bound IWT and the driver was wearing ear protectors. Is it that bad in the cab?

222 passed today on a Ballina bound IWT and the driver was wearing ear protectors. Is it that bad in the cab?

It doesn't take much for hearing protection to be in your best interests.
    More than 8 hours in an average busy city street-side room with the window open will require employers to offer hearing protection. 15 - 30 seconds in a night club will hurt you badly without you knowing it.

A good reading of in cab sound levels with how long the driver spends in the cab would be very interesting indeed.

Here is a pic from an audio blog I follow.
    hearing-loss-blog.png?w=710

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Of the course the problem is that drivers need to have some hearing, since they need to hear CAWS tones, the DSD, detonators and radio calls, so getting the right balance in terms of ear protection might be tough. These days anyway cabs of new trains are generally built with good sound proofing so the issue will hopefully get less prevalent.

Of the course the problem is that drivers need to have some hearing, since they need to hear CAWS tones, the DSD, detonators and radio calls, so getting the right balance in terms of ear protection might be tough. These days anyway cabs of new trains are generally built with good sound proofing so the issue will hopefully get less prevalent.

Indeed, perhaps ear defenders with headphones inside could be a retrofit for older more loud locos but that is just speculation since we have no in cab figures to go off. Also does not nothing for detonators.

Although I love the sound of the 071 class, I wonder how loud they are in the cab given the amount of warning they give of their arrival :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I have a set of what used to be the Irish Rail staff issue headphones at home which I use whilst working in nightclubs and gigs. They wholly encase the ear and cut out large volume and high and low range yet but they let you hear conversation and small sounds close by to you. A driver wearing them would easy hear CAWS and other in cab warning tones.

• Advertisement

I remember a driver friend of mine saying to me that he loved nothing more than going through the centre road at Kildare in an 071 at notch 8, and watching the passengers cover their ears on either side. :D

Advertisement