Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

201 Class Locomotives

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Especially 082 and 220, those two locos are the class leaders in causing a right racket.

Especially 082 and 220, those two locos are the class leaders in causing a right racket.

Ah, so 220 is still going around unsilenced? :) I'm a bit out of the loop at the moment so wasn't aware.

Karsini wrote: »
    Ah, so 220 is still going around unsilenced? :) I'm a bit out of the loop at the moment so wasn't aware.

Almost certain it has it's silencer refitted but it does it's best to pass itself off as an 071 when it can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I remember a driver friend of mine saying to me that he loved nothing more than going through the centre road at Kildare in an 071 at notch 8, and watching the passengers cover their ears on either side.
    its nothing like the class 43 when they had the paxman valenta engine, had the pleasure of witnessing one departing 10 years ago at bridgend, beyond hellfire

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

210 at Hazelhatch on 31-July-2005

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

8208 in Connolly operating in HEP mode on Enterprise duties.

Jonathan wrote: »
    8208 in Connolly operating in HEP mode on Enterprise duties.

All 201s on Eenterprise are on HEP this week, no EGVs in service. Yesterday was 227 and 231, didn't see the third loco. This afternoon 206 arrived into Connolly screaming the place down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭GBOA

206 was running with and EGV as recently as Saturday evening.

206 is on the 09:35 Dublin-Belfast this morning with 89613. But the EGV also has 9608 stamped on it now. :confused:

206 is on the 09:35 Dublin-Belfast this morning with 89613. But the EGV also has 9608 stamped on it now. :confused:

Yeah, saw that yesterday afternoon and did a double take at the 9608 number at the top end of it. Strange alright.

• Advertisement

Yeah, saw that yesterday afternoon and did a double take at the 9608 number at the top end of it. Strange alright.

Yep, here's a photo I took in Dublin.

276704.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Someone should introduce whoever did those numbers to a) a ruler and b) a consistent number set, even without the whole 613/608 issue.

Think I've solved the EGV renumbering. I saw 227 with another EGV today renumbered 9606. My take it that the EGVs have been renumbered 9602, 9604, 9606 and 9608. This is to reflect that NIR own all the EGVs and all DD stock owed by NIR have even numbers while IE own all the odds.

Its similar to how NIR renumbered the C201 class locos in their own sequence after being sold to them by Irish Rail.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

This is to reflect that NIR own all the EGVs
    Why is this?

Jonathan wrote: »
    Why is this?

Don't know why they are not shared ,2 for each, but I have read multiple sources that says that NIR own the 4 EGVs and this new numbering system seems to back that up.

Maybe it was done because NIR look after all the coaches anyway nowadays? If I recall, each operator looked after their own coaches but then they came to an agreement that NIR would maintain the coaches while IE would maintain the locomotives.

Maybe it was done because NIR look after all the coaches anyway nowadays? If I recall, each operator looked after their own coaches but then they came to an agreement that NIR would maintain the coaches while IE would maintain the locomotives.

That could also explain why 206,207,230 and 233 never got the new Enterprise livery even 4 years after 208 got it. The paint shop in York Road was very busy with coaching stock and the quick turnaround of the EGVs.

That could also explain why 206,207,230 and 233 never got the new Enterprise livery even 4 years after 208 got it. The paint shop in York Road was very busy with coaching stock and the quick turnaround of the EGVs.

I was taking a look at a photo I took on Saturday of 206 beside 89613/9608 and the last repaint date was December 2004. 230 was badly in need of a repaint too, but they've much bigger issues on their plate with that loco for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

230 was badly in need of a repaint too, but they've much bigger issues on their plate with that loco for sure.

Thats if it makes it that far.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

209 worked the 14:00 Heuston-Cork today. I thought she was back on Enterprise duties with the shortage of NI equipped locos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

n0brain3r wrote: »
    209 worked the 14:00 Heuston-Cork today. I thought she was back on Enterprise duties with the shortage of NI equipped locos.

A lot of services are without EGV's, until that changes 209 won't be back up North.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Don't know why they are not shared ,2 for each, but I have read multiple sources that says that NIR own the 4 EGVs and this new numbering system seems to back that up.

The ownership arrangement of the fleet was and still is that it is half owned by each company. This was done at the time of purchase so that both companies took on two sets each, the intention at the time of purchase being that there was to be 4 sets, with one being a spare that was to be rotated into service at any given time. However, powers that be decreed that the sets were extended in the end into 3 large sets and one spare carriage of each of the 4 types as required. As a result, maintaining the sets have been far more awkward as it's harder to withdraw carriages as required

NIR bought the 4 EGV's from Irish Rail when the Mark 3 fleet was tendered for same some time ago and have entered them into their Translink numbering scheme as mentioned. As it stands, Irish Rail don't operate passenger carriages anymore save for the Mark 4 fleet so it makes maintaining the DD set easier to track if Translink/NIR take this on.

By the looks of it, rotation of the EGV stock isn't as well planned as it could be if they are taking all 4 sets out at once but the locos can revert to HEP if and as required

By the looks of it, rotation of the EGV stock isn't as well planned as it could be if they are taking all 4 sets out at once but the locos can revert to HEP if and as required

They shouldn't be taken out so often, there was no way while on the Mark3's they were take away that often. Expect its something else which is causing problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cmore123

There was an issue with the EGV's bogies which saw them all temporarily withdrawn not long after introduction.

206, 8208 and 209 all at Connolly this morning at 7:00. 8208 was on the Enterprise. 206 on the turntable and 209 outside the shed. Don't know if 209 is back for Enterprise duties as there is still just two EGVs in service. I reckon it brought the RPSI Craven rake to the valet plant and stabled at the shed for the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭RonanM123

Anyone know what loco hit the Cow near Templemore this evening on the 17.00 to Cork which I currently 5 hours late. Possible damage keep it out of action for a while.

RonanM123 wrote: »
    Anyone know what loco hit the Cow near Templemore this evening on the 17.00 to Cork which I currently 5 hours late. Possible damage keep it out of action for a while.

Another 201 for the scrap man. IE seem to have stopped fixing damaged 201s as they have too many and with more Mk4s being stored as it is there will even less need for them.

Last time a Mk4 DVT hit a cow or two it did alot of damage to the train as the buckeye coupler broke off and bounced down the train as it ran over it causing damage to a few coaches in the process. They have since removed the buckeye coupler and store them in the cab now as they will rarely if ever be needed on the DVT end.

One of the Belfast loco's possibly 206 or 7 has being on the Cork runs very recently so if it was involved, repair is quiet likely given 230 is out also.

From experience with a cow and a 201, the break pipe will be broken and possibly some boogie damage to the 201 and the first coach behind it to say the least. Given the weight of the 201 to the DVT end damage would be far greater if the loco was pushing.

I wouldn't like to be on a 22000 hitting a cow...

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    One of the Belfast loco's possibly 206 or 7 has being on the Cork runs very recently so if it was involved, repair is quiet likely given 230 is out also.

Yeah, 207 was on Corks recently, possible still is. Surprised given the shortage of Enterprise locos and the fact 209 can only work EGV sets, which is currently 2 out of the 3.

207 on Mk4s, 228 being overhauled and 230 withdrawn. 2 spare locos and 209. They should swap out 207 for 209 to give them more options.

• Advertisement

233 operating Cork services, being a while since I recall it over Heuston side.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    233 operating Cork services, being a while since I recall it over Heuston side.

It's strange that Enterprise locos are showing up on Cork runs again given they are down 2 locos.

Tuesday 19 Nov 13.
    233 on 1000 Heuston-Cork

Just reading on the IRN site that after working Cork services on Saturday 206 was back on the Enterprise on Monday and failed in Lisburn. The loco shut itself down and could not be restarted by the driver or fitters a few hours later. 209 was sent from Belfast to recover the train and haul it to York Road. 209 took over from 206 today.

Just reading on the IRN site that after working Cork services on Saturday 206 was back on the Enterprise on Monday and failed in Lisburn. The loco shut itself down and could not be restarted by the driver or fitters a few hours later. 209 was sent from Belfast to recover the train and haul it to York Road. 209 took over from 206 today.

It will probably require a full rebuild like 233 just got in the last year.

Was there an EGV in the set?

• Advertisement

Was there an EGV in the set?

No, according to the pics on IRN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Spotted 086 coupled up to a dead 206 in platform 1 of Connolly at 16:15. Sitting there waiting for a path to Inchicore, it's going to be a few hours I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 nerve agent

^ 113 took 206 from York Road to Dublin today following the 1035 Enterprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

206 & 207 observed at Inchicore Sat 23rd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

233 sitting on platform 2 in Connolly currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

234 sitting in heuston

At least one 201 in inchicore, couldn't see the number. It was near a mk4 set and a seperate DVT.

217 and 4005 did the honours on the 17:00 heuston cork. I said earlier that i saw a 201 within inchicore as I passed this morning, I also saw a dart set and a 121( 124 or 134?) just sitting there.it looked better than the 201 which looked rough. Could that be 216 ? I actually saw an orange 201 aswell. I as sitting on the wrong side to see properly.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    217 and 4005 did the honours on the 17:00 heuston cork. I said earlier that i saw a 201 within inchicore as I passed this morning, I also saw a dart set and a 121( 124 or 134?) just sitting there.it looked better than the 201 which looked rough. Could that be 216 ? I actually saw an orange 201 aswell. I as sitting on the wrong side to see properly.

216 is behind the running shed, looks in rag order from what I remember. 134 is visible too and looks quite good, it was given a cleanup for the family fun day a few years ago.

216 is behind the running shed, looks in rag order from what I remember. 134 is visible too and looks quite good, it was given a cleanup for the family fun day a few years ago.

So the 201 I saw wasn't 216 then ? Are the 141s that haven't been cut up still sitting in inchicore ? How much stuff of interest is still in inchicore karshini ?

Friday 20-Dec-13

207 & 208 coupled up outside Connolly shed at 1420.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cmore123

There are still 4 or 5 x 141 kicking about in Inchicore. I think at least one is reserved for the RPSI, in addition, of course, to 141 itself. Downpatrick has 146 in working order.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 nerve agent

What Cork links are locomotive hauled at the moment? Monday - Sunday workings would be appreciated.

What Cork links are locomotive hauled at the moment? Monday - Sunday workings would be appreciated.

This is the current list for 2014 could change.
    ex Dublin
    10.00*
    12.00*

ex Cork
    13.20*
    15.20*
    * Fridays and Saturdays only.

Sundays
    ex Dublin

ex Cork

• Advertisement
Advertisement