Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

201 Class Locomotives

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭h.gricer

221 was firmly in charge of today's IWT after yesterday's 0117084 fiasco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

233 was pushing the 13:20 I want to say. I wasn't watching the time and another 201 sitting outside the shed. I can't see what number

223 sitting in Kent station as I type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

217 sitting out Connolly shed at 16:20 today. Up for refueling between liner runs? It's rare to see an non Enterprise 201 at the shed late in the afternoon or evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

217 sitting out Connolly shed at 16:20 today. Up for refueling between liner runs? It's rare to see an non Enterprise 201 at the shed late in the afternoon or evening.

227 and 231 aside of course (TPWS fitted for Enterprise duties). Only saying this as these are in Intercity livery...

Turns out that 217 was at Connolly when I spotted it on the 3rd was for the scrapping of the Mk3s at Dundalk. On the 4th it went to Dundalk and shunted EGV 7612 + 5 Mk3 PPs into the old freight yard for scrapping. Scrapping on this set started on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

Spotted 228 for the first time today since it went in for overhaul. It was outside Connolly shed at 18:00. From the looks of it it got bogeys from one of the orange 201s and new wheel sets, also looked to have a new fuel tank too as it was the cleanest part of the loco.

• Advertisement

With what I have read on the photo thread with only 3 Mk4 sets in service daily that must leave alot of 201s doing sweet fa. Will this lead to more 201s being "stored" seeing as there is next to nothing for them to do other than haul liners out of Northwall when there are bad rail conditions seeing as the 071s can't handle that even with a banking loco at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Rootsblower

With what I have read on the photo thread with only 3 Mk4 sets in service daily that must leave alot of 201s doing sweet fa. Will this lead to more 201s being "stored" seeing as there is next to nothing for them to do other than haul liners out of Northwall when there are bad rail conditions seeing as the 071s can't handle that even with a banking loco at the end.

A significant amount of extra freight coming on stream next year will require more locos

A significant amount of extra freight coming on stream next year will require more locos

I'm all for extra rail freight, I miss the mid '90s when I was growing up and all the freight that ran just on the northern line alone. I'll believe it when I see it with Irish Rail.

I'm all for extra rail freight, I miss the mid '90s when I was growing up and all the freight that ran just on the northern line alone. I'll believe it when I see it with Irish Rail.

Biomass is coming on stream to ballina from waterford my sources within IE tell me also I believe bulmers are hoping to run trains from Clonmel to Belview port

Biomass is coming on stream to ballina from waterford my sources within IE tell me also I believe bulmers are hoping to run trains from Clonmel to Belview port

Would they be able to fill 12-18 45ft containers a few times a week though? Because that is what it will come down to. And another thing, do Irish Rail still have more 47 or 42ft flats on hand. I haven't seen the 42fts is a few years now and assumed they were broken up. I don't know where would store them all otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Excellent news if its turns out to be correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Excellent news if its turns out to be correct.

I have heard about the Biomass trains as well along with a possible two other freight flows.

http://www.irishexporters.ie/section/IEATransportandShippingEzineOctober2013

Scroll to bottom of the linked page and read the railfreight paragraph very positive methinks. Jamie2k9 what's the 2 other flows?

A friend of mine that's a staff member has gotten the impression that current managements attitude regarding freight is that if there is profit can be made then they'll run the service and facilitate the customer.

Pity they didn't adopt such an attitude over the last 20 years or so

I have heard about the Biomass trains as well along with a possible two other freight flows.

Any idea which routes or from which ports?

Any idea which routes or from which ports?

He claims Ballina to Waterford in post 814. I'd expect some type of mineral rolling stock will be needed for that like the tara wagons or they lash up something like taller versions of the new spoil wagons for it.

He claims Ballina to Waterford in post 814. I'd expect some type of mineral rolling stock will be needed for that like the tara wagons or they lash up something like taller versions of the new spoil wagons for it.

Yes but want to know the other two possible flows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

The shale wagons are sitting idle at the moment, or maybe just some open top 40 ft containers

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

208 was hauling a HEP'd 0650 Belfast-Dublin Enterprise this morning.

Jonathan wrote: »
    208 was hauling a HEP'd 0650 Belfast-Dublin Enterprise this morning.

I was on the Enterprise yesterday and the gennys were attached for my two trips, 209 was in duty for the 7:35 and I think it was 232 on the 10:35 and 16:05 home; I neglected to take note of the loco on hand. Makes a massive difference, it must be said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

I was on the Enterprise yesterday and the gennys were attached for my two trips, 209 was in duty for the 7:35 and I think it was 232 on the 10:35 and 16:05 home; I neglected to take note of the loco on hand. Makes a massive difference, it must be said.
    In what way??

shamwari wrote: »
    In what way??

Noise mainly; the old days of a roaring engine and the hypnotic heterodyne eminating from the engine was not the nicest sound in the world. Also, the platform is plain less noxious as a result of no HEP activation and residual fumes, even with the grunting of the EGV's diesel engine at work.

From a performance aspect I felt that the set moved off from stations a little slower on both trips than the HEP enabled trips of old but this may be purely my imagine at play :)

Thursday 04-April-14

222 on up IWT
    218 on second down IWT

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GMKK96

220 hauled the Ballina to Waterford DFDS liner today the 18th April 2014.

Friday 01-May -14

220 on Northwall-Ballina IWT liner.
    Passed Athlone West junction at 16:42

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

A friend of mine that's a staff member has gotten the impression that current managements attitude regarding freight is that if there is profit can be made then they'll run the service and facilitate the customer.

Pity they didn't adopt such an attitude over the last 20 years or so
    that's how it has been for some time now. Freight must be profitable, and any infrastructure required is for the Ports to fund since government won't. Stuff nice and easy to load with forklifts not expensive to own gantries. The issue is people thinking lots of former flows were profitable when clearly they were eating into subsidy intended for passenger services.

While Bulmers traffic would be welcome, what would be more so is if the slots required meant covering the costs of longer staffing at crossing gates which might reopen passenger timetable options currently precluded by cost/staff considerations.

Edit: it would be clever if they could manage to load containers of product heading to Belview and of apples returning - apparently they use north of 25K tonnes p.a.? I presume those come in through bulk ports. Maybe packaging and containers (bottles, cans) are containered though.

232 is siting in the siding next to platforms 1 and 2 in Kent station in cork right now. I've never seen a 201 in any other place other then at the loco shed in Kent station or attached to a mk4 set at platform 4 or 5.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Enterprise locos spotted over the last couple of days passing through Killester:-

This is 232 from earlier. I got this pic after getting off at platform 3 from Cobh. I had a chance to get a far better picture but didn't and I assumed the train would stop at platform 2 but it didn't.

207 on the Beller earlier today, just past HJ !

Friday 30/May/14

229 worked the Waterford-Ballina DFDS liner.

Sunday 1st June.

227 on a down Enterprise set 9001 at Clongriffin at 13:00

233 on an up Enterprise set 9004 and EGV 9604 at Connolly at 15:00

207 and 8208 with it's dellner fitted, spare at the shed along with 077.

207 and 8208 with it's dellner fitted, spare at the shed along with 077.

?

Anyone have an update on status of 230?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dellner_coupling#Dellner

Used for connecting the 201s to MkIVs and DDs. I think it is a separate thing that couples to the underlying screw coupler.

You can see the two couplers in this picture : http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Irish%20Locomotives/201%20Class/IrishLocomotives.html#208_20080626_001_CC_JA.jpg

• Advertisement

?

Anyone have an update on status of 230?

230 has been in Inchicore for many months now. It's safe to say it won't be back in service and left with damaged 225 to be used for parts. They may pull the TPWS and AWS systems from it and install into another another 201 for Enterprise duties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dellner_coupling#Dellner

Used for connecting the 201s to MkIVs and DDs. I think it is a separate thing that couples to the underlying screw coupler.

You can see the two couplers in this picture : http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Irish%20Locomotives/201%20Class/IrishLocomotives.html#208_20080626_001_CC_JA.jpg

The 201s couple to the Mk4s with drop head buckeye couplers. The Mk4s are coupled together between coaches with dellners though.

To fit the dellners, the chain and screw are just lifted off the draw hook and the dellner is held on the hook with a cross pin holding it in position.

The converted Mk3 EGVs have drop head dellners fitted so the screw coupling and draw hook method can still be used when being shunted by 071/111s.

In the link below you can see 8208 with the buckeye in the raised position and the MU cables installed, clearly after coming off a Mk3 Push Pull set.
    http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Irish%20Locomotives/201%20Class/IrishLocomotives.html#208_20030821_001_CC_JA.jpg

Tuesday 03-June-14
    220 on NW-BALLINA IWT.

Friday 06-June-2014

218 LE uproad through Hazelhatch at 14:26

206 on the 13:20 Beller 9/6/14
    233 on the 13:20 Beller 10/6/14

8208 on the 13:20 Beller 11/06/14
    207 on the 13:20 Beller 12/06/14

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jhnn

Thursday 12 06 2014.

218 on the IWT Ballina to North Wall seen at Monasterevin @ 12:08.

Regards,
    John.

Friday 13-June-14

224 on NW-BALLINA IWT liner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

I think that I saw 215 pulling a goods train across East Wall Road in to Dublin Port around 16:00 today.

Fascinating. Never saw this operation before. I don't think that the motorists did either to judge by their impatience. Glad I was on my bike with time to spare !!

BTW I see that the rails on the road at Alexandra Quay / East Link are now tarmacaded over. Is this piece of line now closed off? I saw a set of new DART carriages a few years ago unloaded from a ship and hauled across that junction by a diesel. Coincidentally, that operation cheesed off the drivers who had already paid their toll ! How will they get in the next lot of carriages ?

New deliveries are now off loaded at Ocean pier at the end of Alexandra road tram way of at the new freight terminal built for the IWT liners.

Freight trains cross there every day, its not new. There are 3 taras every day each way and sometimes 2 IWT liners each way cross there. The IWTs were Monday, Wednesday and Fridays but are more frequent now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement