Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

201 Class Locomotives

Comments

228 with 89613 on the Enterprise at Connolly at 15:00 today.

Had to touch it up as the original was quite dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Karsini wrote: »
    228 with 89613 on the Enterprise at Connolly at 15:00 today.

Had to touch it up as the original was quite dark.

The loco or the picture was dark ?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The loco or the picture was dark ?

The picture was dark. My phone picked up the sunlight from the sky and darkened everything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

IR said that the enterprise will run between Belfast and newry only sunday and Monday.So will it be it NIR owned 201s that will operate these ? Or those that not factor into the strike ? Will it be a Case of whatever 201 is in Belfast will work it ?

I take it that IR will try to get locos and sets back to depots or as near as before tomorrow ? They would hardly leave them stranded around the network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    IR said that the enterprise will run between Belfast and newry only sunday and Monday.So will it be it NIR owned 201s that will operate these ? Or those that not factor into the strike ? Will it be a Case of whatever 201 is in Belfast will work it ?

I take it that IR will try to get locos and sets back to depots or as near as before tomorrow ? They would hardly leave them stranded around the network.

The 201s are considered a common pool so it makes no odds what 201s are on what sets.

A night 2 sets are stabled in Belfast and one in Connolly as standard anyway. In York Road now there are at least 2 201s and most likely 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭GMKK96

26-8-2014

218 hauled the Ballina to Waterford DFDS liner.

27-8-2014

232 hauled the 13:20 service from Cork to Heuston.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

206/227 at Connolly shed
    8208/228 on enterprise duties

206 and 207 at Connolly shed.

9004/8208 just arrived from Belfast. No EGV.

• Advertisement

This morning around 7:00 at Connolly 231 was on the 7:35 to Belfast with EGV 9606 on the set. I spotted the failed EGV dumped in behind the valet plant/ train care depot.

215 is the first 201 to get the new logo but it didn't get any EVN like the 071s did.

Photo by Connie O Gara

215newlogo.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

Found this link in another forum. It's 209 outside Inchicore in the new 2014 Enterprise livery looking similar to the livery applied to 8208 8 years ago now. Looks smart but how long till that it covered in dirt. They can't keep the Enterprise locos reasonably clean as it is.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/hurricanemk1c/14981123884/

Note that the stripe does not go around the no1 cab end that's always the leading end of the loco.

Found this link in another forum. It's 209 outside Inchicore in the new 2014 Enterprise livery looking similar to the livery applied to 8208 8 years ago now. Looks smart but how long till that it covered in dirt. They can't keep the Enterprise locos reasonably clean as it is.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/hurricanemk1c/14981123884/

Note that the stripe does not go around the no1 cab end that's always the leading end of the loco.

I have it on good authority that the overhauled locos will be banned from working in HEP mode, which should help. EGVs only from now on.

I have it on good authority that the overhauled locos will be banned from working in HEP mode, which should help. EGVs only from now on.

Not an option for 209 anway:D That should be interesting if there are anymore EGV problems. Hopefully this overhaul will fully sort them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Not an option for 209 anway That should be interesting if there are anymore EGV problems. Hopefully this overhaul will fully sort them out.
    i hope so. commonly having to endure a 29 on an international service especially really really isn't good enough.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

I have noted 209 moving about Inchiore over the last week. The livery still does not look finished to me but it now has the 8 NIR prefix making it 8209 at long last. 112 is now the only loco without it painted on.

• Advertisement

209 on the RPSI Santa Specials.

Spotted 3 201s outside Connolly shed at 17:00 yesterday. Only one I could confirm was 209 because of it's livery. The other two both had yellow faces but could not tell if they were in IC or Enterprise liveries, it was too dark to see the numbers and the lights on the DART were too bright to see out of the windows. All were shut down.

I filmed 233 hauling an IWT liner and dead 232 being hauled from Cork to Inchicore by 074 along with the wagon transfer, some IWT liners and MK4 trains at Hazelhatch yesterday...

Just happened across the 201 Wiki page today and noticed it was updated.

One thing that grabbed my attention was that it stated that the wreck of 230 is being used for parts to return 206 to service! While I did know that 206 is in for overhaul as part of the Enterprise upgrade refit I did not think it was in that state that it needs replacement parts to carry on in service. I know Wiki is not the best source but anyone got anything to back that claim up? It does not say much for the future of the 201s if true.

Just happened across the 201 Wiki page today and noticed it was updated.

One thing that grabbed my attention was that it stated that the wreck of 230 is being used for parts to return 206 to service! While I did know that 206 is in for overhaul as part of the Enterprise upgrade refit I did not think it was in that state that it needs replacement parts to carry on in service. I know Wiki is not the best source but anyone got anything to back that claim up? It does not say much for the future of the 201s if true.

apparently 216 is also being returned to service? 230 is probably beyond repair hence its being used for parts?

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

I think 216 is going to be used for the Belmond Mk3s, just guessing. 216 was stripped of parts for other 201s years ago. It is looking more and more likely that the damage to 230 was extensive enough that it will never return. 206 was almost a write off itself around 10 years ago after a fire and spent about year being rebuilt and rewired, suppose it was needed as IE had a loco shortage 10-12 years ago amazing as that sounds today.

I'd say they could probably use most of the parts from the orange 201s if need be.

206 needed a complete rewire at the time, I once read that they needed to use 11km of cabling to restore it! Strong consideration was given to scrapping it, but I don't think 230 would be treated the same way now that they have more 201s than they need. It was the opposite back in 2003, hence IE's leasing of 112 from NIR.

I didn't think 206 was in a particularly bad way in recent times; maybe the wiki article was meant to say 216?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Is there any particular reason why they are using a PP 201 for the Belmond services.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Is there any particular reason why they are using a PP 201 for the Belmond services.
    at a guess its either.
    1. they are probably the only ones able to be brought back into traffic?
    2. they have got a control car and everything will be wired up to work during the refurbishment?

• Advertisement

at a guess its either.
    1. they are probably the only ones able to be brought back into traffic?
    2. they have got a control car and everything will be wired up to work during the refurbishment?

They don't have number 2 but perhaps number 1 is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

I don't think that Belmont's locomotive requirements have been fully worked out yet - anything I have seen has suggested that they will be going for two non-PP 201s. There are even rumours that 201 itself will be resurrected.

I had assumed that 216 was being returned to service as a replacement for 230. They don't have a lot of choices in terms of PP locomotives - if 230 is scrapped, the only other spare left is 225, which is accident damaged.

Hungerford wrote: »
    I don't think that Belmont's locomotive requirements have been fully worked out yet - anything I have seen has suggested that they will be going for two non-PP 201s. There are even rumours that 201 itself will be resurrected.

I had assumed that 216 was being returned to service as a replacement for 230. They don't have a lot of choices in terms of PP locomotives - if 230 is scrapped, the only other spare left is 225, which is accident damaged.
    why couldn't they just transfer the relevant equipment to some of the non pp locos?

Of the non pp locos stored, 211 is/was a right beast of a loco. It was probably the best performing 201. Some drivers even thought that it had a higher rated engine installed as it seemed to accelerate faster than any other 201. It also recorded some record sector times with Mk3s rakes that no other 201 has matched in service.

I can't see any orange 201s being brought back. They have been left out in the elements too long and most have had parts removed. 210 is sitting on 223's old worn out bogies and I don't think it's brake lines were ever reconnected.

As it is there is more than enough 201s around, not all are in use every day. Not all the 071s are in use either. 076 has been stored since overhaul in Inchicore out the west end of the depot for 7 months now.

There is talk of more Mk4 sets coming back into use though so that will require more 201s off freight and less 071s sitting around.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Same reason IE use PP 201s on freights. That's all there is to use. Also it gives IE the option of using the Belmond 201/s if needed to haul a Mk4 set for any reason.

Word is though that Belmond were looking at purchasing 2 of the orange 201s but that plan has gone for what ever reason. It now looks like just one 201 and not an orange one.

210 is sitting on 223's old worn out bogies and I don't think it's brake lines were ever reconnect

210 has bigger problems, piston came out through the crankcase on a Waterford service departing Heuston and that was the last time it operated.
    Word is though that Belmond were looking at purchasing 2 of the orange 201s but that plan has gone for what ever reason. It now looks like just one 201 and not an orange one.

Unusual for IE to turn down cash!

• Advertisement

233 failed on the Claremorris to Waterford laden timber in Athy today. I saw 078 pass through Bagenalstown station from a distance at 8:15 with the train. 233 was left in Athy.

220 was going around unsilenced last year, can't say if it still is as I've been out of the loop for ages!

233 and 078 hauling the laden Westport to Waterford timber train.

With one 201 Enterprise link down for the next year or so what 201s are currently on it the other 2 sets.

233 is on freights alot lately while 206 and 208 are in for overhaul and painting. 206 is reportedly in the full new Enterprise livery complete with the new logos that 209 has yet to have applied before it's painted work gets too weathered. 206 should be back out in a few weeks.

I see 209 around Connolly shed a good bit but I haven't observed any of the others. 228 is a rare loco to show up on an Enterprise since it's overhaul last year.

I saw an Intercity liveried 201 on the Enterprise about a half hour ago. Was too far away to make out what one it was. Probably 227 or 231.

• Advertisement

I saw an Intercity liveried 201 on the Enterprise about a half hour ago. Was too far away to make out what one it was. Probably 227 or 231.

A set past me about 20mins ago at Killester. I was looking down from a bridge so all I could see what that it was an IC 201, either 227 or 231. I'd like to find out where 228 is hiding.

Today, the Enterprise locos were 207 and 231 with 8209 spare at Connolly shed.

Withdrawn 216 also looks to be receiving attention at Inchicore with it's main engine removed. Strongly suspected of receiving a full overhaul in preparation of becoming a Belmond 201 rather than return to regular IE service.

A more complete version of the new Enterprise livery first teased by 8209 is now on 206. Also note 087 peaking out behind with it's bogies missing. Looks class imo.

206NewEnterprise.jpg

Who came up with the design NIR or IE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

A more complete version of the new Enterprise livery first teased by 8209 is now on 206. Also note 087 peaking out behind with it's bogies missing. Looks class imo.

206NewEnterprise.jpg

Looks really well, 206 also seems to have EVN numbers on the cab fronts.

GM228

I don't know where the full EVN is or it hasn't been applied yet. 8209 got away out of the paint shop without it's EVNs. The EVNs for the 201s will divide the fleet up into it's 3 sub classes. The non push pull, push pull and push pull with NIR equipment. If another 201 is fitted out to replace 230 for example a digit on it's EVN will change from a 2 to a 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

I don't know where the full EVN is or it hasn't been applied yet. 8209 got away out of the paint shop without it's EVNs. The EVNs for the 201s will divide the fleet up into it's 3 sub classes. The non push pull, push pull and push pull with NIR equipment. If another 201 is fitted out to replace 230 for example a digit on it's EVN will change from a 2 to a 3.

It's hard to make out from the photo but looking at the 206 on the front of the loco you can see it appears to be offset from the centre and there appears to be white numbers also suggesting an EVN number.

GM228

I'd guess that 208 and 209 would have British EVNs? 92-70 instead of 92-60?

I'd guess that 208 and 209 would have British EVNs? 92-70 instead of 92-60?

The EGVs got Irish ones after NIR took ownership of them. The RPSI Cravens got Irish EVNs too.

GM228 wrote: »
    It's hard to make out from the photo but looking at the 206 on the front of the loco you can see it appears to be offset from the centre and there appears to be white numbers also suggesting an EVN number.

GM228

Yeah, it's only part of it like the 071s only have part of it on the cab front. The full thing is more important and has to applied at least once on each side under the UIC rules. The partial one is purely optional.

• Advertisement
Advertisement