Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

201 Class Locomotives

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,200 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

226 Crosses 076 in Claremorris 2 weeks ago....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dublin Spotter

Alot of H and S issues there im told.In other news the loudest 201,220 is resting in Ballina this weekend,parked alongside 207.(Easily seen from the road into Ballina). 220 will work the 0815 Ballina-N.wall IWT liner on Monday-get out and have a listen!! Also,a fair bit of rust is visible on both 207 and 209.

221 has being resting in Carlow since Thursday. There is about 6 autoballasters attacked to it. The first time I saw one of the loco turned off.

221 has being resting in Carlow since Thursday. There is about 6 autoballasters attacked to it. The first time I saw one of the loco turned off.

I was on a 1710 Dublin-Athlone service a few years back with 234. Upon arriving in Athlone, 234 was shut down and just left there, still coupled to the Mark 3s.

Dublin Spotter,Try and get a picture,rare at the moment!!

It will be Wednesday before I will be on the line. Will be getting the 13.10 and by chance it arrives on plt 2 and it stops for a few mins waiting for another train if its on time I will get out and get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭FR.Ted Crilly

I like your work guy's but seriously i think your train crazy :D

Can't get a picture as it was noted through Athy this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Strangely enough i have pics of 221 in my home town of Athy and in Carlow from the last few days but i won't be able to upload them till i get home from work later

This weeks Ballina-Waterford timber was again worked by an Enterprise loco,this time 209. 221 worked the N.wall-Ballina IWT liner.

I also saw two Enterprise locos on Cork services today, I think they were 207 and 233 as I saw yellow ends on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

217 and 227 operating two Mark 4 sets and as said above 207.

221 blasting through Foxford Station,Mayo, earlier with the IWT liner

234 in Waterford with autoballasters attached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    234 in Waterford with autoballasters attached.

:confused:

:confused:

Why????

Why????

no photo, was that just a report?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

I thought it might be time to kick off a thread and shoot the breeze on the 201 Class. Observations, stories, debates, photos, videos all welcome !!! :)

Observations are welcome AFAIAC. It helps to build up a picture of what 201's are where and when, for observing or photography purposes.

no photo, was that just a report?

No photo because I noted it at 21.35 at night and I was on a moving train and the mark3 sets were blocking most of the view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

A few pics from a short trip on the Enterprise today - Connolly to Drogheda and return. 228 outbound on the 11.00 dep. and 206 'River Liffey' on the return 12.08 dep from Drogheda. 230 was on shed, but I missed getting a pic.

P1160005-1.jpg
    228 at Connolly
    P1160004-1.jpg
    206 Drogheda
    P1160003-1.jpg
    206 Connolly

209 - Ballina-Waterford
    221 - Shunting timber in Waterford
    234 - Waterford-Ballina (replaced by 071 loco on autoblasters) service was also delayed because of another freight failure on the line.

At this stage 209 spends more time doing freight services than the entreprise and its not even owned by Irish Rail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

209 - Ballina-Waterford

At this stage 209 spends more time doing freight services than the entreprise and its not even owned by Irish Rail

With it's failure rate it's better off doing freight runs than Enterprise duties. 209 used to spend most of it's time on Cork runs anyway before the freights to Ballina picked up.

234-Ballina-Northwall IWT liner this morning.

209 worked the Waterford-Westport empty timber this evening

And 221 worked the Ballina-Waterford laden timber

234 had a recent overhaul and was painted but it failed yesterday in Cork and was hauled to Dublin by an 071.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

234 had a recent overhaul and was painted but it failed yesterday in Cork and was hauled to Dublin by an 071.

How does this happen that a freshly overhauled engine can just fail?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Rud wrote: »
    How does this happen that a freshly overhauled engine can just fail?

Depends on what accounts for it's failing. A loco with a window broken, if it hit an animal on the track, a warning light in cab or a broken light that can't be replaced on the spot would make for a failure. Pain in the ass but there ya go.

Taken in Clontarf Road around 18:10 today.

Karsini wrote: »
    Taken in Clontarf Road around 18:10 today.

no wonder it takes so long to get to Belfast :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

no wonder it takes so long to get to Belfast :pac:

Well it would; that train stopped at all stations to Dublin first before going north ;)

Advertisement