Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading alienware issue

Options
  • 10-01-2012 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi,

So a friend of mine has an Alienware PC from a few years ago and recently he got the motherboard replaced and put a Gigabyte GTX560 OC into it. After only a few weeks of that running ok he decided he wanted a full upgrade.

He bought:
    An Asus P8P67 motherboard
    An i5 2500k processor
    2x4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600mhz Memory
    A Seagate Barracuda 2TB Hard Disk

I have some experience with building and upgrading so I helped him strip the Alienware down and install the new parts. Unfortunately after we hooked everything up, all we got when we powered up was a red "VGA_LED" on the motherboard. Everything else powered up fine but it wouldn't POST because of this.
    We looked it up and found a lot of other people had the same problem with the P8P67, so we decided it must be a faulty motherboard. After a while of reseating the RAM etc we got one successful boot, but after we turned it off again to close the case and stand it up, we never got that far again.

Anyway, we decided to put the old setup back in and try and get a replacement P8P67 but then the old parts wouldn't boot!!! The setup that was working fine up until that morning...

Everything is powering up. The fans, the CPU fan, the graphics card light and fans, the hard disk, the DVD Drive... everything! So I really don't think we fried anything.

Long story short, we need to get it professionally repaired but I was hoping someone could recommend someone, or some business in Dublin that doesn't charge an arm and a leg?
    The place that replaced his motherboard charged 150 quid and the motherboard wasn't even new (let alone very good)! There were paint specks on some of the metal plating around the USB ports etc!!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

I wonder would you be better off getting a new case and PSU for your new parts, as your nearly all the way there. Case & PSU around €100. Might be better money spent than repairing the old one..

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Jonathanpbk

Yeah that did cross my mind alright, but it would be crap if he spent the 100 on the new case and PSU and it still wouldn't work! He'd be 100 down and would still have to pay to get it repaired!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Yeah that did cross my mind alright, but it would be crap if he spent the 100 on the new case and PSU and it still wouldn't work! He'd be 100 down and would still have to pay to get it repaired!

Take all the parts out of the case and put it on a motherboard box and have it running that way as it might be shorting by something in the case, you never know its worth a try.

Advertisement