Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long time playing...New pains in hand??

Options
  • 10-01-2012 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

Somebody here might have experienced this or know what im talking about.
    Playing about 16 years and consider myself to be an advanced player.

I think i know the answer already but i suppose i just need confirmation.

I am getting cramp like pains in my pinky finger on my fretting hand lately and it is making playing uncomfertable at times.
    Years ago someone showed me how to play barre chords that have their root note the A string using just 2 fingers instead of barring with the index finger and using the 3 remaining fingers to complete the chord (major chords).

And i took this and decided that for that chord shape i preffered to use my index and pinky to make the shape.
    That has been all well and good for years until lately I and getting uncomfertable pains in my left hand after playing for a while and if I am playing barre chords.

It also happens at times when i am soloing , Especialy usinng 3 note per string major scale patterns.

What I am asking in a long way is has the way i have been playing barre chords caused this or is there something else im not thinking about.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

I'm having a hard time visualising how you are actually play the barre chords? can you take a picture even using your webcam to show us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Hehe, Dont have a guitar to hand or a camera for that matter.

Basically if you imagine a D major barre chord ....

You Barre the 5th fret with your index finger and you would put your 3 remaining fingers on the D, G and B string on the 7th fret...right??

Instead of those 3 fingers I would cover the 3 strings with just one finger...(pinky)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Hehe, Dont have a guitar to hand or a camera for that matter.

Basically if you imagine a D major barre chord ....

You Barre the 5th fret with your index finger and you would put your 3 remaining fingers on the D, G and B string on the 7th fret...right??

Instead of those 3 fingers I would cover the 3 strings with just one finger...(pinky)

Hey,

I get your barre shape now; I do same thing except I use my ring finger to barre those three strings. Using a pinky is not recommended or two reasons - it harder and you lose the extended shapes possible with the addition of the pinky. If you play acoustic use lighter strings and lower action; getting your guitar set up by a pro costs about 100 euro and is well worth. There a very good guy in south circular that does this.

Watch the position you hold the guitar- It should be diagonally across you and not straight and avoid leaning the guitar in towards your stomach when playing.

Steve

Funnily enough I used to use my ring finger and at some point I must have graduated over to my pinky.

I play both acoustic and electric and I play with light strings and a fairly low action.
    I do my own setups on all my guitars , ie , intonation..truss rod adjustment...
    Plus I teach aswell so youd think id have gotton rid of bad habits like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Funnily enough I used to use my ring finger and at some point I must have graduated over to my pinky.

I can't see an advantage of using the pinky to barre those strings. There are very few chord voicings that will take advantage of the spare ring finger when you do?
    The most obvious explanation is that your pinky has too much stress on it after all its not easy using it to barre 3 strings like that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Spoonman75

It seems odd that you've started to feel this discomfort after several years of playing. A myriad of questions are coming into my head!:eek:

Have you changed the position of your fretting hand i.e. lengthened or shortened your guitar strap?

Have you changed your current guitar with a different one or raised the action/ changed to a heavier string guage?

Have you discovered Punk Rock?:D All barre chords moving around the neck at speed? Or some new style you're not used to playing.

Do you warm up gently before you play?

To be honest OP, I'd consider giving it a rest for a while and talk to your GP. You could have a repetitive strain injury and you might not be doing yourself any favours by exacerbating it.

Hehe no hope of giving.it a rest, I teach aswell as playing in 3 different bands.

I would usualy warm up by doing things like trills with different intervals...starting with minor 3rds and going from there .... Id do this on each string at different positions...usually starting around the 2nd fret.
    I also play through the.7 positions.of the major scale in different keys.

On the punk rock thing...haha no, more of a satriani style player than a punk rocker.

I have changed the way.i play that particuler barre.chord shape back to using my ring finger....hopefuly my hunch was right about the pinky finger.

Advertisement