Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hong Kong: bars & clubs

• 10-01-2012 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I'm going to Hong Kong with two other guys next week (just after Chinese New Year). My brother & sister in law are already living there but they're in their 30s and don't know a huge amount about the coolest nightclubs and bars in Hong Kong.

We have pretty much everything else sorted, just wondering if anyone has any specific advice about night life?

We're arriving on Friday next week, so hopefully everything will be back to normal after the Chinese New Year celebrations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The coolest clubs and bars in HK wouldn't let gweilos in so I wouldn't expect to go to them anyway!!

Are you staying ont he Island or Kowloon side?

Dragon I is one of the bigger and longer standing clubs.

Lan Kwai Fung in Central is the main expat drinking venue - think of it as a better version of Temple Bar but on the side of a hill with lots of bars - sometimes three or four in a building. Wan Chai is another good area and is less seedy than it was in years gone by. Don't know much about Kowloon side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Cool, thanks for advice; we're going to be staying in a place called Kowloon Bay; I guess that's not the ideal side:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

later10 wrote: »
    Cool, thanks for advice; we're going to be staying in a place called Kowloon Bay; I guess that's not the ideal side:pac:

THat's fairly suburban I think. What sort of place are you staying in? Kowloon Bay was a name given to one of the stations on a recently extended MTR train line. I guess some housing has (as usual) taken on the name of the station. Cabs are very plentiful and generally very cheap in Hong Kong so I wouldn't worry too much. MAke sure you get something in Canto with the name of where you're staying. Over time, English has become less relevant to the taxi drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Charlie Xray

A lot of the bars have cover bands on most nights as well, I prefer those to going to nightclubs to be honest.

The best ones I reckon are Insomnia in Lan Kwai Fong, Swindlers in Wan Chai, Dusk til Dawn in Wan Chai, Spicy Fingers in Wan Chai. They're open pretty much all night.

For DJ and a more nightclub style bars, try Solas or Rayne in Soho, Zinc in Lan Kwai Fong or Carnegies in Wan Chai.

Some of the other bars in Wan Chai such as Amazonia, Joe Bananas, Neptunes and Escape can be good craic but are often filled to the gills with Filipina or Thai hookers.

If you're looking for quiet pints, there's any amount of decent bars around town, if you're on Kowloon side try PJ Murphy's or Biergarten in Tsim Sha Tsui and The Globe or Kila in Soho.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

Hey thanks for all the info..

Heading over in the next month. Wondering can anybody else provide good spots for going out in the evening? Good bars would be top of the list rather than nightclubs.

Staying in Wan Chai area but woudl be willing to go somewhere else if we knew it would be good craic!

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

There is a place called the Bridge in Wan Chai thats open 24/7.
    There is also an Irish place called Delaneys and the food was ok there. And a place called Neptune where you won't leave on your own if you don't want to!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

Thanks for the info! Looking forward to going - heard great things about the place

Advertisement