Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rFactor 2 Open Beta is out!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu why did i have to buy stuff and max out my credit card damn my need for food and clothing

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Installed, will check it out tomorrow.
    Will be interesting how close it is to iracing and how much better than what i rate as the best sim on the old gmotor2 engine that being GSC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Do you have to buy a license to play the Beta?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Gotta pay for it. F that. I'll still seed it for a while though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Not into the ould simracing like i used to, be ****ed if im paying for a beta.

• Advertisement

Wasn't rfactor the one you got to try free? One or two tracks, one or two cars? They must be pretty confident in themselves if they think they can charge people to try and test the beta for them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I had already prepaid for it. Tis quite good. Controls seems a bit more tight than the first but I guess I'm too used to touring cars :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭_HULK_SMASH!

I was under the impression that you paid for the Beta, but when the full game is released you got to update the game for free, so basically you pay for the full game now, get to play the Beta untill its released.....But maybe im wrong?

I was under the impression that you paid for the Beta, but when the full game is released you got to update the game for free, so basically you pay for the full game now, get to play the Beta untill its released.....But maybe im wrong?
    I think your right, it's fair enough if it's going towards development and the people who buy rFactor aren't going to need a demo to know whether or not their going to buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭robk24

Well i bought it and impressed so far, my graphics card and PC spec are right on the minimum specs required but was about to go for a new build anyway..

The force feedback system is amazing, not a huge selection of cars or tracks but enough to keep you busy....

They done a great job on the sense of speed, forces and immersion the game gives....

They will be releasing more addon's over the next few months for testing and when the full retail is released you can just transfer your license over to that...

€65 for a lifetime membership or €40 or €45 for a year and then €12 a year after if you buy yearly.. however if you buy a year only now you get 6 months free.... i went for the lifetime as this game never stops growing the amount of mods, tracks and cars that come along from users is never ending...

• Advertisement

robk24 wrote: »
    Well i bought it and impressed so far, my graphics card and PC spec are right on the minimum specs required but was about to go for a new build anyway..

The force feedback system is amazing, not a huge selection of cars or tracks but enough to keep you busy....

They done a great job on the sense of speed, forces and immersion the game gives....

They will be releasing more addon's over the next few months for testing and when the full retail is released you can just transfer your license over to that...

€65 for a lifetime membership or €40 or €45 for a year and then €12 a year after if you buy yearly.. however if you buy a year only now you get 6 months free.... i went for the lifetime as this game never stops growing the amount of mods, tracks and cars that come along from users is never ending...

Yeah I read a lot on a virtualR about the immersion being great, like your not alone at a circuit but part of a real environment if that makes sense...

I get what you mean about if you own Rfactor 1 you "get" it and wont be dissapointed. I love Rfactor 1 and its Mods.

Main ones I run are F179, 67,85,88,91,94 DRM Revival and the Enduracers Mod..

Defo gonna get Rfactor2!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭c0rn3y

I signed up and paid for it.

Have to say that for a beta it is doing very very well. FFB is nice, GFX is nice, this is going to be a good year =)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

so guys can you you an xbox controller or do you need a wheel,,,,and what is it like on max settings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

New beta build is out now:
    Changelog

MULTIPLAYER:
    —————————-
    Configurable multiplayer race countdown timer (“Race Client Wait” in multiplayer.ini).
    Reducing collision work in multiplayer (including completely turning off remote car vs. scene collision for now) in order to prevent slowdowns.
    Modifed Dedicated server and mpfile to allow/disallow nicknames.
    Fixed in-car chat for extended ASCII characters.

GRAPHICS:
    —————————
    Fixed showroom sun occlusion problem.
    Fixed sun occlusion toggle.
    Improved HDR debug output.
    Moved all HDR processing to GPU.
    Now enforcing deformable meshes.
    Fixed and improved “visible vehicles” algorithm.
    Updates to static meshes now disabled.
    Fixed AI brake lights.
    Fixed some issues doing HDR/Post on monitor.
    Fixed up some postFX problems.
    Updated sun occlusion.
    Improved post FX integration with HDR.
    Dixed bug that could result in cam file having more shadow parameters than the array that holds them.
    Fixed problem with using post with HDR.
    Fixed up hdr debug output, also improved post-processing.
    Tidy up line drawing, also deactivated pre-caching for now as a test.
    Fixed up hdr debug output.
    Fixed a crash when loading a new profile to an existing track.
    Shaders are recompiled if vid driver or HDR changes.
    Reverted virtual mirrors back to using options settings rather than video settings.

UI:
    —————————-
    Fixed car skin spinner not selecting current selected skin when entering screen.
    Fixed path error for loading truetype fonts.
    Fixed car spinner gizmo bug where it selection didn’t take into account pace cars in the veh list ordering. (so picking a car near the end of spinner would select the wrong car.)
    Fixed crash from skin selector gizmo that would happen 1st time you join a online game for a new mod and go to tuning from car selector screen.
    Fixed bug where one couldn’t select a new UI.
    Fixed gear graph text in wide-screen mode with non-wide-screen UI.
    Tidy up some loading bar problem.
    Fix HUD pit menu selector box.
    Added tire volume slider.
    Added new options for VSync and FXAA.

Software sync uses a timer to draw frames based on your refresh rate. In other words, you could compare it with a software VSync.
    GPU sync is a UI element for the PLR’s “Flush Previous Frame” setting. This setting is not recommended for SLI.
    Video sync is actually the good old VSync option (notice that the usual VSync checkbox is now missing).
    None means it will behave like the previous build, without VSync enabled.

AI:
    —————————-
    Extra code to prevent ramming from behind when attempting to pass.
    Generally made AI initiated player crashes less likely.
    Made line transitions safer (for example moving from fastest to blocking line).
    Fixed exaggerated pitspot slowdown.
    Implemented 1st round of VERY basic wet weather tire logic.
    Now always simulating a lap once for every car to get fuel, time, and minimum speed for track (to improve AI pit strategy).
    Made AI slower at 70% by not only reducing their grip (was already being done) but also cutting a bit of speed off corners on top of that when figuring.
    Made AI cars more likely to pass another car in the straight if given the opportunity.

GAMEPLAY:
    —————————-
    Fix for timescaled mechanical failures.

CONTROLLER:
    —————————-
    Added controller.ini variable “Off-road multiplier” at least until we have proper soft terrain physics modeling.
    Changed default for “Keyboard Layout Override” in controller.ini to 1 which seems to work better most of the time.
    Added new controller.ini option “Use Keyboard Rates For Analog” which allows gamepad users to intentionally delay the response time of their twitchy inputs.
    Added controller.ini variable “Use Hardware Additional Features” to control whether we play G27 LEDs, for example. Actually that’s the only example right now.
    Added ability to read/write Thrustmaster wheel range (only available on new T500RS series, by the way).
    Set default control for ‘Display Vehicle Labels’ to TAB key.

OTHER OPTIMIZATIONS
    —————————-
    Various collision optimizations, including better automatic LODs for trackside collidable objects.
    Fixed crash that occurred when no sound devices was enabled on Windows 7 Machine.
    Improved and/or fixed OnTop variable in TDF – this is a precise way to physically apply paint stripes on top of the road with a realistic thickness.
    Minor SSE optimizations added.
    Vertical position of individual mirrors wasn’t being transferred from CCH file to PLR file (note that these values are not editable in realtime with the Shift/Ctrl/Alt + Seat position controls).
    Fixed dedicated server not updating scoring for plugins.
    Fix for “Unknown” name in player file.
    Fixed wide characters aborting the results file write.
    Mirror toggle control lets you go through all 5 permutations in cockpit now.
    Fixed a potential problem alt-tabbing with SL.

FUNCTIONAL ADDITIONS:
    —————————-
    Allow nickname and attempt to allow wide char names.
    Added a “Steering Wheel” option for “No Arms”.
    Added user car skin support.

MOD/PACKAGING
    —————————-
    Fixed a bug with packaged files which could have allowed tire data to be overridden by external components.
    Fixed a minor issue with encrypted mas.
    Fixed ttool crash.

The updated .exe needs to be download and put into the “\rFactor2\Updates” dir. After that, start the rFactor 2 launcher and visit the Update tab to start the update.
    http://www.virtualr.net/rfactor-2-beta-build-60-out-now

@Rossi IRL: I am not sure if you can drive with a controller, I will check for you tonight when I come home. And it is very very nice on full settings. Maybe not as nice as pCARS but it is not far behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

c0rn3y wrote: »
    Maybe not as nice as pCARS but it is not far behind.

I know its comparing a pre-alpha to a beta, but so far the rFactor2 driving experience is far, far superior. The force feedback is amazing, and unlike RF1 you can tell when you're about to lose control and in many cases save the car on the edge. pCARS just seems like a very good arcade game right now, but i'll reserve judgment until its further along.

I actually dont like the visual look of pCARS; everything looks like its made of very shiny plastic.

I dont think it looks to plastic in pCars but I do agree with the rest you said. rFactor2 feels and is way better. Things could change as they are both far from final but I do think that r2 will come out at the end more as a sim. But who knows :-)

gs39t wrote: »
    I know its comparing a pre-alpha to a beta, but so far the rFactor2 driving experience is far, far superior. The force feedback is amazing, and unlike RF1 you can tell when you're about to lose control and in many cases save the car on the edge. pCARS just seems like a very good arcade game right now, but i'll reserve judgment until its further along.

I actually dont like the visual look of pCARS; everything looks like its made of very shiny plastic.
    +1. teh driving physics are miles better on rf2 then in pcars. pcars is A LOT more easier to handle IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭M00lers

Hi,
    Are you the same jonneymendoza from AVF?

Hi,
    Are you the same jonneymendoza from AVF?

song > Theirs only one jonneymendoza, ONE JONNEMENDOOOOOOZA!!" :D

• Advertisement

song > Theirs only one jonneymendoza, ONE JONNEMENDOOOOOOZA!!" :D

Thought as much.;)

Thought as much.;)

Who are u in avf?

Moolers, lurking in the background most of the time.

Well I bought it tonight....And I have to say...I LOVE IT!

The tyre moddeling is amazing! so progressive, you know just when to back off... I'm having the most fun from the 370Z so far, its a great car, not sure about the GTR yet, its a bit of a handful!

There's still loads to be done of course but the UI is way slicker!

I tried it in the rain, but it looks like theres loads more to be enabled, no wipers or raindrops on the screen yet...

There might be loads poo poo'ing this game comparing it to PCARS but If you ignore the rplays and stuff, and just enjoy the handling of the cars, your going to have a great adventure!

Its the little things for me so far... Like when you come to the end of the pitlane and the session hasnt begun yet, a marshal slows you down with a little hand gesture....and when the pitlane light goes green, waves you out!

Does anyone remember playing Microprose Grand Prix for the first time and your jaw dropped when you saw a Marshal at a marshaling post waving a yellow or red flag? I had the exact same feeling with this!

I know they are only small things but it shows how much effort ISI are putting into this.

Also, I try to catch endurance racing when I can on telly, Driving around a floodlit circuit with your lights on looks just like it does on telly! All washed out when you come up on another car etc...

As I said, theres still loads to be done, but try it, one you do, im sure you wont be dissapointed..

Here's a taster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I'm installing this as I type on my really really expensive new PC! My G27 is bored to death these days so hope I enjoy it!

I just turned off r2 and I have to say I do really like it =)

I think the FFB is second only to maybe iracing, might even be better!
    The bumps of the monaco track in an old F1 or F2 car are amazing..

Hey cant we get a rFactor2 race evening going some time very soon and make that something we repeat weekly or once a month?

I really like driving the Formula Renault 3.5 and those old F1 & F2 cars, just so much fun.

Who is with me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

Is it due for release any time soon?

Looking at getting a PC sim but not sure which one to go for.
    Mind you my PC may not be able to handle rf2

• Advertisement

@beglee: whats you PC specs?

And for people that don't want to pay for a beta, I can understand that fully.

But if you read below you will see that it is not money lost.
    The title will sell for $43.99, allowing unlimited access to single player & mod development mode. The price also includes 12 months of online account membership, an additional year of account membership can be purchased for $12.99.

The open beta will allow interested sim racers & modders to get early access to a content-limited version of rFactor 2. To participate, a full purchase of rFactor 2 is necessary, in return open-beta users will be given 18 months of online account access instead of the 12.

So if you think that you will buy the sim later on anyway, you might as well buy it now and get a extra 6 months of online racing =)

Advertisement