Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Whiskey not for Irish - LIDL

Options
  • 10-01-2012 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I made that photos in Lidl stores: one in Nice on French Rivera and one in Dundalk where you have to pay 60% more for Irish product than 1500 km away...

393652_321792731177579_100000405648823_1055178_1386514876_n.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

That's not nice.

Is it possible that the huge difference is made up of the extra duty charged in Ireland as compared to France?

If that is the case, then it's the Irish government's fault and not Lidl's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

That is the perfect example of a rip off!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Access wrote: »
    That is the perfect example of a rip off!

if you mean being ripped off by the Government then yes, we are. The Government duty charged on alcohol is shocking in this shít hole of a country.

Anyway, I'm sure the Whiskey is rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The excise duty on a 70cl bottle of whiskey in France is about €2.80. In Ireland, it's about €7.60

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Nice to see Lidl are not only selling Irish whiskey here, but they are also supporting our export industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 taquilla

ejmaztec wrote: »
    That's not nice.
    If that is the case, then it's the Irish government's fault and not Lidl's.

I didn't say it's Lidl's fault. Just said both offers are in Lidl.

Is not. Dundalgan Whiskey is bottled specially for Lidl in Cooley Distillery in Riverstown Co. Louth. My friend works there and says it's quite good range.

BTW. Below german lager found in same both Lidl's (I didn't do price photos):
    m5012.jpeg

Price in Ireland: €6.29 (six bottles)
    Price in France: €2.99 (six bottles)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

if you mean being ripped off by the Government then yes, we are. The Government duty charged on alcohol is shocking in this shít hole of a country.

To be perfectly honest, with the way we abuse alcohol in this country it should be higher if anything. The French seem to be socially responsible enough to handle cheap alcohol, the Irish and Brits are not.

taquilla wrote: »
    I didn't say it's Lidl's fault. Just said both offers are in Lidl.

I didn't say that you did, I was just stating an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,433 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I honestly cannot think of a comment to describe how stupid the original post is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I honestly cannot think of a comment to describe how stupid the original post is.

I can, but I am sure there is a forum rule against it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

28064212 wrote: »
    The excise duty on a 70cl bottle of whiskey in France is about €2.80. In Ireland, it's about €7.60

That accounts for €4.80 of the €5.99 price difference. What other costs are involved that would account for the gap? I would have imagined it would be cheaper to get the product to Irish stores than to French ones.

It is great to see an Irish product on French shelves though as brian ireland says above.

PS I'm moving to France!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

samsemtex wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest, with the way we abuse alcohol in this country it should be higher if anything. The French seem to be socially responsible enough to handle cheap alcohol, the Irish and Brits are not.

This is not the place for this discussion, but no it should not be higher.

If you ask me having such an addictive substance so much more expensive here than it is in other countries is socially irresponsible by our government.

That accounts for €4.80 of the €5.99 price difference. What other costs are involved that would account for the gap? I would have imagined it would be cheaper to get the product to Irish stores than to French ones.

It is great to see an Irish product on French shelves though as brian ireland says above.

PS I'm moving to France!

Allowing for the duty, we are now talking about a difference of 1.19. Thats a much easier figure to explain than we normally have to on this forum. While minimum wage is higher in France, energy costs are more in Ireland. A discrepancy of 1.19 could be easily explained by the special offer Lidl were doing on the day.

samsemtex wrote: »

Not all of them, apparently.

http://www.alcooliques-anonymes.fr/aafrance/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

When was that photo taken?

This seems to suggest VAT is 4% lower in France.

Thats another bit.

Now, whats next?

Whats the wage rates and business rates like in france? I dont have time to start searching.

This is another of those non event threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

The key is not to get the stock to irish stores, but the costs of, and to the, stores in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

I know what church you belong to - the RIPOFF one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

That accounts for €4.80 of the €5.99 price difference. What other costs are involved that would account for the gap?

VAT at 23% is charged on top of the excise duty, which at €1.10 is all but 9c of the remaining difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

Just think of all the problems this greed brings to the Irish retail market. I can hear it now, "I'm going to need to see your profits before we use the famous government duty excuse"

Can you imagine the ramifications of this excellent disparity on retailers over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Skopzz wrote: »
    Just think of all the problems this greed brings to the Irish retail market. I can hear it now, "I'm going to need to see your profits before we use the famous government duty excuse"

Can you imagine the ramifications of this excellent disparity on retailers over here?

And you busy on other threads ordering consumers to change their ways and shop in Aldi and Lidl:D
    I have already told you this can be dealt with by a simple means of changing your lifestyle (moving away from big brand names/switching supermarkets).

This is directly where you are telling posters that they should shop in Lidl/Aldi. The example posted isn't a "big brand name" and it's in one of your favourite shops.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I'm delighted to see a huge retailer like Lidl sourcing and selling Irish produced whiskey on the continent. In fact I'm going to send them a complimentary email.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

gizmo555 wrote: »
    VAT at 23% is charged on top of the excise duty, which at €1.10 is all but 9c of the remaining difference.

so taking vat and duty into acount lidl charge reasonable price shocker

anyway i stocked up on bushmills before xmas at €17 a bottle (prob the same stuff as the lidl one !)

so taking vat and duty into acount lidl charge reasonable price shocker

anyway i stocked up on bushmills before xmas at €17 a bottle (prob the same stuff as the lidl one !)

Not a million miles away from it, just a slightly different blend.

syklops wrote: »
    Not a million miles away from it, just a slightly different blend.

It probably costs 1 Koruna for a crate-full in your local Lidl.:(

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It probably costs 1 Koruna for a crate-full in your local Lidl.:(

Unfortunately not. I just emailed Lidl asking them to stock it, but if they do sell it here it would be around the same if not a bit less than Lidl in France so ~250 CZK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

PS I'm moving to France!

4.80 + vat @ 23% = 5.90

and the balance is the 2% difference in vat on the other amount.

Advertisement