Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice!

• 10-01-2012 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

:( So i'd been away for a few nights last week. First night home,put dogs to bed as usual in utility room. After about 20mins all hell broke loose,door scratching howling crying the works! Tried ignoring but gets too out of hand.
    OH admitted he'd left them sleep upstairs with him while I was gone. Now they wont settle in they're own bed!
    BUT allow them upstairs on our bed they're out like a light. I dont mind them sleeping on the bed they're clean.
    I just think it might be a bit unfair on them, cause there will be times when they cant sleep in our room!

Advice welcome?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭SineadMarie

Buy a pair of ear plugs and try just ignore them they'll soon get used to being back in their own beds. My heart is broken as im in the same boat at the mo, dog used to sleep in my room, as a result he thinks hes the pack leader now and is getting very bold thats the danger too. As much as i love him in with me cant do it forever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Afraid you will have to bite the bullet on this one.

Keep them downstairs and use earplugs.
    Make sure they go for a nice long walk earlier so they are nice and tired.
    Chances are the first few nights - 3 or 4 they will be like this - so if they had a favourite blanket or toy when pups put that back in.

On a more serious note - you need to really talk to your OH about this - he has to understand what his action has caused and to ensure that nothing like this happens again.

Either that or maybe get crates for your bedroom to keep them off the bed.

On a side note - I grew up with dogs sleeping on my bed so I am not opposed to it - though my OH is. I am just opposed to changing a dogs routine like this and causing them anxiety. For what it's worth my mum went through hell over Christmas with brothers coming to visit and taking her dog upstairs as the dog was crazy to be with them. As a result she was nearly on her last legs from exhaustion after they left as the dog wouldn't settle. We just followed the above advice, as well as giving the dog some calmaid to lessen any anxiety and after 3 nights all was back to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

agree with other posters, its bloody heart breaking to listen to them crying and barking, but it's tough love at the end of the day, I had the same experience with my husky and all they really want is someone to cuddle into.

So try the hot water bottle, and a clockwork clock (ticking) wrapped in a towel stuffed under its bed, the heat and the ticking will emulate a heart beat, and the warmth of the bottle will be like a cuddle buddy.

If that doesn't settle it down, earplugs and a heart of stone is the only thing you can do, allowing a dog on the bed is a massive "no no" in the doggy kingdom it can lead to all kinds of weird problems later on.

I found it helpful to leave a tv or radio on, not for the dogs, but for me to help drown out the crying.

Good luck with you dog :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭SineadMarie

Vince32 wrote: »
    agree with other posters, its bloody heart breaking to listen to them crying and barking, but it's tough love at the end of the day, I had the same experience with my husky and all they really want is someone to cuddle into.

So try the hot water bottle, and a clockwork clock (ticking) wrapped in a towel stuffed under its bed, the heat and the ticking will emulate a heart beat, and the warmth of the bottle will be like a cuddle buddy.

If that doesn't settle it down, earplugs and a heart of stone is the only thing you can do, allowing a dog on the bed is a massive "no no" in the doggy kingdom it can lead to all kinds of weird problems later on.

I found it helpful to leave a tv or radio on, not for the dogs, but for me to help drown out the crying.

Good luck with you dog :)

Well said good to know i'm not the only one that does be almost going to bed in tears :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

I had this problem with my two once Izzy arrived!

Buddy on his own was fine but when Izzy arrived as a pup she started him off with a bit of crying and scratching, up they came, no sleep just wanting to play! Nightmare first night we had.

2nd day/night we (I) made the decision to leave them alone during the day and went up stairs leaving them in the kicthen so she got used to being there and he copped its still the normal routine with us. No matter how much howling moaning she done(joined with him) they were left there.
    Later that 2nd day She soon stopped and thats when I went back into the room. The 2nd night had about 5 minutes moaning and that was that they settled and went asleep!

Unless they were being caged in the room I would not let them stay there, not that I can with mine anyway because I did originally try with Buddy but he's so needy he wants to be up on the bed the whole time.
    Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

Thanks guys for your replys.
    I'm morto though......Didn't realise the battery in the smoke alarm in the kitchen was going and was giving out a beep only heard it last night! Replaced it and dogs settled within an hour.

Poor doggies:( must have been going spare and I must be going deaf!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

The dogs were like "HELLO HELLOOOO THERE'S SOMETHING NOT RIGHT DOWN HERE" you were think omg shut up already, love this story now :D

Advertisement