Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a website????

Options
  • 10-01-2012 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey ive had some exposure to building a website in my first year in college but never actually got one online

Now ive been approached and asked to build one where my friend plans on selling hunting and fishing good and wants to be able to recive credit card payments, i also reckon ill need a shopping cart in there too any suggestion where to start, and how to get the site traffic

On a side note does revenue need to know about this.........:confused::confused:

Thanks in advance

Tomy

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Will move this to the Design forum. you can check out free shopping cart systems like Magento, Zencart, Prestashop, Virtuemart (Joomla CMS component), Opencart etc however if you have no expierience with PHP/etc I would deffo take time to look up about it.
    You can install websites locally with Xampp then when the site is finished upload it onto a web host, export the database online and connect everything up. Like I said PHP understanding is pritty essential for that kinda stuff

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Hey ive had some exposure to building a website in my first year in college but never actually got one online

Now ive been approached and asked to build one where my friend plans on selling hunting and fishing good and wants to be able to recive credit card payments, i also reckon ill need a shopping cart in there too any suggestion where to start, and how to get the site traffic

On a side note does revenue need to know about this.........:confused::confused:

Thanks in advance

Tomy

Sounds like you'll be using Paypal for receiving CC payments. If you don't have too many products to sell you might get away with just using some Paypal buy now buttons.

Otherwise, you'll need a cart - I'd recommend a hosted shop solution, check out - Shopify, BigCommerce & Volusion. Advantage of these is all is hosted on their servers for a fixed fee, plus they generally have plenty of templtaes to choose from. Fees generally start around €20 - €25 per month for entry level packages).

In terms of revenue, a web based business is no different from any other business. If you make money, you need to declare it and pay tax on it, need to register for VAT if income over a certain amount etc. etc.

-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 funhouse_ie

I've been using prestashop for a few weeks now, it's not the most straight forward program to use, but if you have time on your hands, you'll figure it out. There's the forum on the prestashop website, and lots of other forums and tutorials online.
    I'm using hosting Ireland and they have a module in the control panel to install the store with very little effort.

Regarding paypal, you can install a paypal module and integrate it into the site, you just need to get credentials off the paypal account and add them to the prestashop module.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭crazyFeet

Using prestashop too, it's ok, but can get annoying when searching for information sometimes. Presta forum is not the best! I must say, you get replies on boards x10 faster, on presta you get none at all sometimes, unless its a tricky geeky question :D

Is there any thread for presta users on boards? need a good help source as presta forum is done now

Advertisement