Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staying in Kilkenny, May Bank Holiday weekend

Options
  • 10-01-2012 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

We are planning to stay in the Brog Maker and I have been reading some pretty poor reviews of the place accomodation-wise.

Any local people help a confused Corkman out with opinions?

Thank ya kindly..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

I wouldn't recommend the Brog Maker. Some of my mates stayed there a few months ago and described it as "Fawlty Towers". The Pembroke Hotel on Patrick St seems popular. If your after a B & B there's Celtic House on Michael st or McCourts Townhouse at johns bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

That's a fare walk out of town with a few beers in you. Try get somewhere closer if you can. Or get so smashed you don't notice the walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 calexico65

Sky King wrote: »
    That's a fare walk out of town with a few beers in you. Try get somewhere closer if you can. Or get so smashed you don't notice the walk.

Not so worried about that. We have transport. Just wondering about the hotel. We'll be out all day and evening so it's only a place to get the head down really. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Sky King wrote: »

It's a ten minute walk from Parliment street to the brog maker - Hardly gonna kill you!

By that logic you could recommend op stays in the spring hill or aspect hotel.

I'd sooner walk 2 mins than 10/15 if the price was the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Lump wrote: »
    It's a ten minute walk from Parliment street to the brog maker - Hardly gonna kill you!

Even running fast it would take more than 10 minutes, more like 20 min. A lot nicer, very run down and not that busy anymore.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

femur61 wrote: »
    Even running fast it would take more than 10 minutes, more like 20 min. A lot nicer, very run down and not that busy anymore.

Bróg maker to Pump House is fifteen minutes and I'm not a fast walker, did it there recently.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Oh don't get me wrong, I think the brog has gone massivel down hill since it was sold, but it's a 10 minute walk - I lived in Meadow way growing up and you can get to Irish Town/bottom of parliment street in 10 minutes.

Anyway, it's a pointless arguement - There's much better places in town :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I walked it this evening more like a 15 min walk. The Kilkenny Inn is not that expensive and conviently located.

For some reason I thought that had closed down - Did it close briefly about a year ago?

• Advertisement

It was for sale for a while there

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

+1 for the Prembroke

If you get lost on the way back to there from the middle of town you'll probably wake up with a few puke stains on ya too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Oh don't get me wrong, I think the brog has gone massivel down hill since it was sold, but it's a 10 minute walk - I lived in Meadow way growing up and you can get to Irish Town/bottom of parliment street in 10 minutes.

Ha never thought I'd see another person from Meadow Way on Boards. Best street in Kilkenny to grow up on.

The walk from the city centre to the Bróg is nothing at all. I do it every time I'm coming back from a night out and you don't feel it at all.

The best advantage is the Shell shop beside it. It's the only 24 hour left in Kilkenny now. Makes for a great pit stop on the way home. Be wary though when you're very drunk. I stopped in there one night to buy stuff. Had no cash so broke out the Laser. Couldn't remember my password so I walked off home again. Only remembered the next night where I'd left the card. Fairly embarrassing walking in the door to get it back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Ha never thought I'd see another person from Meadow Way on Boards. Best street in Kilkenny to grow up on.

The walk from the city centre to the Bróg is nothing at all. I do it every time I'm coming back from a night out and you don't feel it at all.

The best advantage is the Shell shop beside it. It's the only 24 hour left in Kilkenny now. Makes for a great pit stop on the way home. Be wary though when you're very drunk. I stopped in there one night to buy stuff. Had no cash so broke out the Laser. Couldn't remember my password so I walked off home again. Only remembered the next night where I'd left the card. Fairly embarrassing walking in the door to get it back again.

Just to point out Blackquarry is 24 hour also.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

There are definitely cheap, closer more convenient places to stay than the Brog Maker.

Pembroke is a very handy fall. And Kilkenny Inn would do the trick too.

Haven't lived there in about 9 years - used to be in Number 3, my dad still lives in number 12

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

ft9 wrote: »
    Just to point out Blackquarry is 24 hour also.

Forgot about that. Well the Shell is better :pac:. Always a good crowd there though cause it's generally the last stop for people driving out to Comer or Ballyragget. Generally a good few in the queue but it's always a bit of crack hearing the lads complaining about the person working in there ha.
    Haven't lived there in about 9 years - used to be in Number 3, my dad still lives in number 12

Sure by god I'm only two doors up from him in number 14. Tis a small world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

calexico65 wrote: »
    Not so worried about that. We have transport. Just wondering about the hotel. We'll be out all day and evening so it's only a place to get the head down really. Cheers.

It's not a hotel. It's a pub and the accommodation won't be of hotel standard I'd imagine.

McCourts is ok. A few friends stayed there but you'd need to book rooms on the non-street side of it if you want to get any sleep at a weekend.

Advertisement