Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

motorbike insurance assesor

• 10-01-2012 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

hi there,

i was in an accident with a motorbike on saturday. the person whos bike hit into me has given me a quote for the damage of €4300 which i think is pretty high. its a 00 D harley sportster

i was looking to get an insurance assessor in to look at the damage and to make a recommendation. is there any specific motorbike ones or will a normal auto assessor be ok? how long might to take to make a decision?

does anyone know of any reputable ones around the dublin area? if your not allowed to post up names or anything like that just ignore this question obviously

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Did you notify your insurance company?

If you did, they will appoint an assesor to look into the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 showboat

ideally i'd like to keep it out of the insurance company as its just going to affect my no claims bonus and future premiums but after the quote i dont know what to do.

i thought if i had an assessors report it might give me some leverage with the guy whos bike it is

perhaps its not worth more than the repair cost but i cant say that to him with any sort of authority especially because he said he has put some work into it so it would be worth more than the market value of an equivalent bike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

First things first - tell your insurance company.
    They will take care of everything - that is why you pay insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Put it through the insurance company, then pay off the insurance company to maintain your NCB. Believe me, by not notifying them, you make yourself liable for any future injury insurance claims. Although, if the bike was a right off, about 4k looks reasonable including any gear that needs to be replaced(which your also liable for).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Bike damage can mount up. It's not like a car where if you tip someone it's a bumper or a panel.
    Every item with a scratch on it is added onto the bill. I had a small tip and my bike dropped and the bill came to €2500 :eek:
    That was an estimate from the dealer, and them missed out a few things I only noticed later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

showboat wrote: »
    hi there,

i was in an accident with a motorbike on saturday. the person whos bike hit into me has given me a quote for the damage of €4300 which i think is pretty high. its a 00 D harley sportster

i was looking to get an insurance assessor in to look at the damage and to make a recommendation. is there any specific motorbike ones or will a normal auto assessor be ok? how long might to take to make a decision?

does anyone know of any reputable ones around the dublin area? if your not allowed to post up names or anything like that just ignore this question obviously

TBH if you caused the crash, as you seem to be admitting, you've no choice in how much or where the bike is repaired, do a search in the Motors forum.

An insurance assessor will be a waste of your money. Do as the others have said and inform your insurance company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

If its your fault, you're to going have to pay up...pay the money or let the insurance sort it out..
    Dont expect me (a biker) to advise you how to get out of paying for your mistake, youre lucky he/she wasnt killed or badly injured..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

the person whos bike hit into me

Eh? Who hit who in the what now?

+1 on notifying your insurance. Regardless of no claims, premium hikes and how you feel, the difference in cost won't exceed €4300 in the long term. If you DON'T notify insurance and the biker is subsequently diagnosed with an injury you will be liable for a personal injury claim.

Apart from the damage to the bike you are also liable for replacement of helmet, gloves, boots and any damaged safety gear like CE marked jackets and spine protectors - this could exceed €1500 very easily (mine does)

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

harley replacement parts i can only imagine are very expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Definitely inform your Ins Co. Persons involved in an accident have 2 years to file an application with the PIAB and you don't want this coming back on you in a year's time.

Also, to be honest, €4,300 seems fair to me, factor in the gear (decent helmet can cost the guts of €1,000) it all adds up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

hi there,

Plenty of good advice already given.... €4300 isn't that much all things considered. Any sort of personal injury would be multiples of that. Gear costs can be costly too. Don't know the details of the accident/who/how etc. But I wouldn't see 4300 as taking the you know what.... assessor will charge you probably a couple of hundred quid and if he/she says thats fair then you're that much out of pocket too.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭tiernanobrien

yeah i reckon its probably a fair price. My day to day gear is worth about 1k and if it was in anyway affected i'd want it replaced. I'd say if its a harley there'll be loads of cosmetic pieces be replaced plus labour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

I agree with all the previous posters - just to put a bit of perspective on how the claim may be broken down, this is part of my real life experience when I was knocked off my VStrom - on a roundabout - approx 20 mph
    My personal stuff -
    - Arai RX7 Helmet - 650
    - Ripped Boot - 270
    - Torn Leather Trousers - 230
    - Worn through Glove - 110
    - Shredded Wet gear - 60
    - Jacket ok - 0
    + am Self Employed - so compensation for 1/2 day off work to get bike home & try to chillax
    Bike Stuff
    - Front/Rear rhs indicators - 80
    - Handguards - 70
    - Bar Ends - 40
    - Front Brake Lever - 65
    - Right Foot pedal - 50
    - Rear Brake Pedal - 70
    - Two Farings - 280
    - Labour - 1/2 Day (can't remember how much)

What I've listed totals about 2000 without labour and my time off work and that was on a jap bike with parts easily got - HD has loads more shiny bits.

Advertisement