Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tethering Charges

Options
  • 10-01-2012 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

Just a note to mentioned something that happened to me recently on O2..

I was reviewing my bills online and saw a couple of items that were called Entertainment and Downloads. They were ridiculously expensive. So I called O2 to ask about them. They said they had a code that showed these items up as tethering. I use this service a fair bit and was surprised as I had never noticed them being billed for before. I have a so called unlimited data plan. I was told that charges were always made for tethering services and that my bills indicated that I never used the service. The costs made roaming look like everyday use!!

Anyone else had this experience? Interested to hear. Must be an issue.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Just a note to mentioned something that happened to me recently on O2..

I was reviewing my bills online and saw a couple of items that were called Entertainment and Downloads. They were ridiculously expensive. So I called O2 to ask about them. They said they had a code that showed these items up as tethering. I use this service a fair bit and was surprised as I had never noticed them being billed for before. I have a so called unlimited data plan. I was told that charges were always made for tethering services and that my bills indicated that I never used the service. The costs made roaming look like everyday use!!

Anyone else had this experience? Interested to hear. Must be an issue.

This has been an issue for the last 12 months, if not longer, with both O2 and VF.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭suspectdevice

i'm amazed because i have used it lots in the past 12 months and this appears to be the first charge

it is a disgrace that they charge nearly a euro a mb for tethering. any idea who else provides such services for free as part of unlimited data?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You may have upgraded the software on your phone and it may now tell O2. Get the phone unlocked and put generic software on it rather than operator supplied bloat and you should be tickety boo again.

right

i upgraded the os in late november. it's only since then.

need to look at my contract.

Gotcha !!!!!

If your contract is up then unlock it, debrand it and then load generic manufacturer firmware and your phone won't grass you up any more.

Talk about a 'Suspect Device' :D

• Advertisement

If you could find the APN settings as described here ...and make them the same!! Could be hidden so you may need this.

https://market.android.com/details?id=ale.android.apnmanager&hl=en

cool man. thanks for the help. now to find the time!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Link is dead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

John Dough wrote: »
    Link is dead?
    Oddly not unusual, given over a year has passed since that link was posted. John, this the second old thread you've resurrected, that I'm aware of, and there is a policy against that here. Do so again and you'll be infracted. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement