Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will studying a trade effect my CAO app..?

Options
  • 10-01-2012 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Hi Folks

I’m filling out my CAO at the moment and got a quick question.
    In my previous life (1991/1992) I did an apprinteship and attended Linenhall (School of trades) as it was known then part Bolton Street Tec. I did my junior and senior trades there one day per week (2 Yrs).

My question is, as Bolton St is a third level institution will this have an effect on my CAO application now in 2012 ?

As it was only a short/part time course should I even mention it in the "Special Category" section ?

Also should I also include a 1 year FAS course as well ?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions.......Dj

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi Folks

I’m filling out my CAO at the moment and got a quick question.
    In my previous life (1991/1992) I did an apprinteship and attended Linenhall (School of trades) as it was known then part Bolton Street Tec. I did my junior and senior trades there one day per week (2 Yrs).

My question is, as Bolton St is a third level institution will this have an effect on my CAO application now in 2012 ?

As it was only a short/part time course should I even mention it in the "Special Category" section ?

Thanks.......Dj

If you received certification for it and if it supports your application definitely include it. Anything to do with apprenticeships are automatically viewed as being at a lower level than the third level qualification you are now applying for so declaring it wont prevent you being offered a place.

You can put it in under 'Post secondary level qualifications' but make sure to highlight that it was part of an apprenticeship.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

Ok paperclip i've got the gist of it thanks for you help appreciate it.

Dj

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Their not relevant to my application but as the CAO states that failure to disclose appropriate information will mean cancellation of the application.

Is it just the CAO double checking if I had been at a HEI before ?

If that's the case then I think that I'll run with the standard application as opposed to "Special Category" application.

Thanks a mill......................Dj.

If you fall into any of the Special Categories, especially if you are a Mature applicant then it is a good idea to disclose it. If you have the Leaving Cert requirements for a particular course then it is a good idea to speak to the college to see if they will process you as a standard applicant or if they will only accept you as a special category applicant. I have seen some colleges insist that a Mature student with the LC points apply as a Special Category applicant and others where an applicant failed to get a place through applying as a special category student but got a place on the points basis.

Applying as a special category applicant in general tends to give you greater control and input into the selection process and this is doubly so if you also have the LC requirements to boot. :)

Advertisement