Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost SMS function after switching from Eircom to UPC, quoted €400 for workaround.

• 10-01-2012 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all,

The parents had an alarm system installed 5 years ago, which sent an SMS to 5 numbers on activation.Last year, for several reasons, they switched our broadband tv and landline from Eircom to UPC. We didn't realise the UPC landline actually came in via the cable box, rendering the phone sockets and the alarm-sms fuction useless.

They were quoted, by an electrician on the phone to an alarm guy buddy

1- 400e to restore the SMS fuctionality (Sounds like the guy might have
    been talking about a GSM board from reading other threads) or
    2- 60e down and 150e a year for remote monitoring, or
    3- change back to Eircom.

The guy seemed very nice, but thats a lot of money, especially when you consider the value in remote monitoring these days. Question is this:

Are there any ways of getting around this, ie home-cctv that can alert via wifi text/smartphone alert, which could be used in conjunction with an alarm? Or are there any homebrew fixes for the alarm, ie hooking up an old GSM phone / wifi dongle? Or is the GSM board the best bet. I feel even worse now having looked it up, knowing that i could be buying a 5 camera infrared wifi kit for the same money as a sim-card!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The Eircom sockets but SMS via UPC is not an option.
    You don't say what system you have installed but €400 for GSM is a little high.
    €150 for central station monitoring is about right.
    Eircom phonewatch isn't an option as they will try & tell you monitoring over UPC doesn't work.
    (It does by the way);)
    I wouldn't switch bact to an Eircom line just for this, your losing all the savings which you switched to UPC for in the first place
    You could get a Voice Dialler for a good bit cheaper. Again what make is the alarm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Jnealon

A speech dialler would probably be the cheapest option.
    For €400 you'd be better off swapping out the alarm panel for one that works on upc

• Registered Users Posts: 28 onelessprob

The alarm panel is a HCK SecureWatch Class II C.I.E.

Thanks lads for the advise, from what your saying a speech / voice dialler would be an affordable option? Would this be a sim-card that autodials programmed numbers with pre-recorded message?

What would you guys recommend in terms of getting one fitted? Should i get the parts myself (Any particular model?) and then get on to an installer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭altor

The alarm panel is a HCK SecureWatch Class II C.I.E.

Thanks lads for the advise, from what your saying a speech / voice dialler would be an affordable option? Would this be a sim-card that autodials programmed numbers with pre-recorded message?

What would you guys recommend in terms of getting one fitted? Should i get the parts myself (Any particular model?) and then get on to an installer?

The voice dialer will just dial out with a pre-recorded message. It can be connected to the UPC so there will be no problems there. Here is a link to one, you can get these in Condor Security. 23A Greenhills Industrial Estate,
    Greenhills Road, Walkinstown, Dublin 12, Ireland.
    01 409 7733/34
    You can either trigger the dialer off the external bell or the outputs on the control panel. If you need any help fitting you can get it here :D

Advertisement