Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sequels: The Good, The Bad, and The Fugly [** NO LISTING **]

Options
  • 10-01-2012 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭

What is the worst sequel to a great original movie that you've seen. The sequel can be #2, 3, 4, etc.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Terminator 3 was pretty dire, but lucky for it Terminator Salvation saved it from being the worst sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

Hands down jaws the revenge ie 4.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Bitch please, Batman & Robin. Pretty much put comic book films into ruin for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

One of my favourite films of all time is Get Shorty but its sequel Be Cool is appalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The first thing that jumped to mind for me was Robocop 3 (or at least it would have, if such a movie were to have existed) but damn there are a lot of good suggestions here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭leedslad

Staying Alive rubbish compared to SNF
    Grease 2 a poor follow up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Aliens! Creaky loada bollox!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Highlander 2 and the ones that came after were complete horsesh1t...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Aliens! Creaky loada bollox!

I'll take it you're joking...

If not, leave this earth immediately...

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

The Santa Clause 2

Just can't relive the magic.

Sigh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Jurassic Park 3
    The Mummy 3
    Alien 3

Plus the 3rd Omen film with Sam Neill in it- first to films were enjoyable

seeing a patern here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Blues Brothers 2000 was horrible idea, horribly implemented.

But the worst sequels are ones that manage to not only offer nothing worthwhile themselves but actually take away from the previous movies. Like in one of the Scream sequels it's discovered that the 1st's movies killers were actually just puppets for another less interesting killer.

And with that in mind I have to put forward Star Wars Episode I, II and III (I know they are technically prequels) as the worst. Hey remember all that stuff that Ben said about the past in A New Hope? Well it was all bollix and he now appears to be rather senile in retrospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

All the final destinations, really liked the first was great fun, it quickly became "look how we kill these kids".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Pirates of The Caribbean. The first movie was great. All others were awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Keyzer wrote: »
    Highlander 2 and the ones that came after were complete horsesh1t...

There should be only one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is an impossible task! So many sequels are now made, I'd say Superman IV - Quest for Peace must be down there, all the money had been spent by the time it was made so its practically a TV movie compared to the previous 3 (and no 3 wasn't much cop) Also you cannot have a character named Nuclear Man played by someone called Mark Pillow. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

It annoys me when people say Godfather 3. It really is a great stand alone film. But put it beside the other two and it becomes Daniel Baldwin. (Not to say that Alec and William are..well you know what I mean)

As far as sequels go...I'm just not a fan but you can't blame hollywood for making them. People will go to see them again as a way of somehow trying to recreate the original viewing experience.

The fact is, there is no sequel that is superior to the original. You can make arguments for Godfather, Terminator, Aliens...even Superman 2! But...the original created the moulds and, in my opinion, are purer films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Cars 2 was terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

Oceans 12 - a lazy holiday movie for overpaid stars if ever there was one

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

It annoys me when people say Godfather 3. It really is a great stand alone film. But put it beside the other two and it becomes Daniel Baldwin. (Not to say that Alec and William are..well you know what I mean)

I absolutely agree with you here. I thought The Godfather Pt. 3 was a very good film and didn't deserve all the criticism it got at the time.
    It suffers somewhat in comparison to the other two, but on it's own merits, it's a fine film indeed.

My vote would go to An American Werewolf in Paris...... the first film is a bona fide classic and one of my favourite films, however the sequel (if you could really call it that) is easily one of the worst films I've ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Return of the Jedi. I'm sorry but it's true. The first two films are not just great Star Wars films, they are great films generally. Where as Jedi just sucks! Howard Hawks said that a good film has three good scenes and no bad ones, which rules out Jedi. It has three good scenes alright, but bad ones? - it's littered in them. It's only childhood nostalgia that prevents people from dismissing it as the terrible sequel that it is. I loved it when I was younger, but now I find it unwatchable in its entirety.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

For me both Highlander (1986) and Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) were very original movies, but the sequels were atrocious.

They made all the Police Academy sequels look like cinematic masterpieces in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Oceans 12 by a country mile for me. Oceans 11 is actually one of my fav films. It's just so effortlessly cool but 12 was painful. It even has taken some of the shine off 11 for me.

Highlander 2 and Jurassic Park 3 are also right up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Considering The Exorcist is such a fantastic movie, The Heretic was just appalling and the first one that sprung to mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ive always been morbidly curious to watch S. Darko. I see it's on Netflix. Perhaps some night when I'm feeling particularly masochistic... But if you get into low profile, cynical sequels of films you're in a while new ballpark.

X Men / Spiderman 3 are not follow ups to great films (although both first sequels are pleasantly competent at worst). However, they blow every single ounce of potential built up. Especially The Last Stand. After waiting two or three years for what was teased as an epic conclusion, we got a damp squib.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭michaelduignan

Hangover 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

Ive always been morbidly curious to watch S. Darko. I see it's on Netflix. Perhaps some night when I'm feeling particularly masochistic... But if you get into low profile, cynical sequels of films you're in a while new ballpark.

X Men / Spiderman 3 are not follow ups to great films (although both first sequels are pleasantly competent at worst). However, they blow every single ounce of potential built up. Especially The Last Stand. After waiting two or three years for what was teased as an epic conclusion, we got a damp squib.

I actually own S.Darko, being a big fan of Donnie Darko I just had to buy it.... I can confirm it is a pile of sh!t but she grew into a fine young lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Hangover 2?

I dont think it was worse. It was more the same :P

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭fealeranger

The Matrix was fantastic and then they made the second and third RELOADED AND REVOLUTIONS. I nearly cried they were so bad. American Ninja was another they made very bad sequels too. I think bar the Star Wars Empire Strikes back people will find it hard to find a good sequel to anything.
    I forgot the Karate kid sequels and Kickboxer, Bloodsports...............the list is long and terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Both the Jungle Book and Lion King sequels should be indicted for crimes against children.

Advertisement