Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sequels: The Good, The Bad, and The Fugly [** NO LISTING **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Speed was one of the best action movies of the 1990's. Plenty of thrills, memorable set pieces, good chemistry between the characters, etc.

Speed 2 was none of the above!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Bitch please, Batman & Robin. Pretty much put comic book films into ruin for a while
    I'm kinda thankful it was a piece of rubbish though because without it we probably wouldn't have the current Batman trilogy.

Slightly OT but I think Arkham Asylum/Arkham City are also more interesting than the Burton/Schumacher movies. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Battle Royale 2 was a bit rubbish but the antics of Riki Takeuchi kinda made up for it. Kind of a guilty pleasure for me, most ridiculous action movie I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

The Matrix sequels - the original was magic, and the rest were seriously disappointing.

Edit: Ooops, missed the post above saying almost the same thing. Great minds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Escape From L.A
    John Carpenter showing just how much of a one off all of his best ideas are, this should have never been allowed release, very much tarnishes the great original too unfortunately. This trailer really shows how wrong they got it, completely against the spirit of the first film.

Also, how the flying f**k has nobody mentioned Kingdom of the Crystal Skull yet?!?!?!?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

niallon wrote: »
    Also, how the flying f**k has nobody mentioned Kingdom of the Crystal Skull yet?!?!?!?!?!

Kingdom of the crystal skull. Unbelievably bad. Harrison ford moves like the old man he is, you could literally hear his joints creaking and groaning. Should've left it alone and leave us with fond memories of the first 3 films when he was the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

doomed wrote: »
    Oceans 12 - a lazy holiday movie for overpaid stars if ever there was one

that Julia Roberts pretends to be Julia Roberts is some of the most vomit inducing celebrity injoke stuff ever put in a movie, the only scene of that movie I like is when Vincent Cassell dances across the museum floor, which was quite cool.

Return of the Jedi. I'm sorry but it's true. The first two films are not just great Star Wars films, they are great films generally. Where as Jedi just sucks! Howard Hawks said that a good film has three good scenes and no bad ones, which rules out Jedi. It has three good scenes alright, but bad ones? - it's littered in them. It's only childhood nostalgia that prevents people from dismissing it as the terrible sequel that it is. I loved it when I was younger, but now I find it unwatchable in its entirety.

still infinitely more watchable than the prequels. aside from the ewoks I love Jedi, the whole Jabbas palace sequence/sarlacc pit is cool, Vader's redemption is one of the greaetst scenes of the trilogy until they fcuked it up on blu-ray, and its still, almost 30 years later got the best space battle ever put on film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I'd agree about the Matrix sequels letting it the original down.
    Bitch please, Batman & Robin. Pretty much put comic book films into ruin for a while

And Batman Forever didn't really help matters... Yes I'm talking about that suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Both the Jungle Book and Lion King sequels should be indicted for crimes against children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

razorblunt wrote: »
    All the final destinations, really liked the first was great fun, it quickly became "look how we kill these kids".
    But 2 and 5 are the best ones!? (Just noticed that the wiki page for Final Destination 1 gives away the great plot twist for 5
    by causally mentioning it's a prequel
    )

And Halloween 3 is quite good before anyone mentions the generally awful sequels to a great original film.
    krudler wrote: »
    still infinitely more watchable than the prequels. aside from the ewoks I love Jedi, the whole Jabbas palace sequence/sarlacc pit is cool, Vader's redemption is one of the greaetst scenes of the trilogy until they fcuked it up on blu-ray, and its still, almost 30 years later got the best space battle ever put on film.
    Not great by any means but enough good to keep it off of any "worst" list. Luke and Vader clashing lightsabers still gives me goosebumps.

Blair Witch 2 deserves a mention. The makers brought a new form of horror to the masses, way ahead of it's time as we see now, and then they decide to cobble together a completely generic cash-in sequel and kill the series dead. They must be looking at Paranormal Activity 58 and thinking what could have been...

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Zander1983

has to be hangover 2

Blair Witch 2 deserves a mention. The makers brought a new form of horror to the masses, way ahead of it's time as we see now, and then they decide to cobble together a completely generic cash-in sequel and kill the series dead. They must be looking at Paranormal Activity 58 and thinking what could have been...

The makers of the original served as executive producers but they had no real input. The priduction company Haxan Films who were behind the first wanted to hold off till the hype was over before starting work on a sequel but Artisan wanted to cash in as quickly as possible and make a quick buck. Shame that the series ended with part two as the possibilities for sequels/prequels there is far more interesting than wgats been done with the Paranormal Activity series.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

niallon wrote: »

Because it doesn't exist. There were only 3 Indiana Jones movies.
    Zaph wrote: »
    Terminator 3 was pretty dire, but lucky for it Terminator Salvation saved it from being the worst sequel.

I just spent 10 minutes wondering if Salvation was a prequel or a sequel. It's set after 3, but before 1. I decided that it was just sh*t and moved on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

I remember being really disappointed with Kingdom of Crystal Skulls, built that one up way too much.

I was wary of Lucas after the new Star Wars trilogy but I thought with Speilberg on board everything would be kept in check.

Seemingly not. Both have become lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Saw 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 3D

The first one was brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

dumb and dumberer nuf said!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

Both the Jungle Book and Lion King sequels should be indicted for crimes against children.

Could be worse, The Land Before Time got twelve sequels. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

dilallio wrote: »
    For me .... Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) were very original movies, but the sequels were atrocious.

Except Wes Craven's New Nightmare (the seventh in the series!) which is, in fact, fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Could Evan Almighty be considered a sequel to Bruce Almighty? If yes then that's my vote. Pure horse **** and the worst film I have ever paid to see in a cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Could Evan Almighty be considered a sequel to Bruce Almighty? If yes then that's my vote. Pure horse **** and the worst film I have ever paid to see in a cinema.

Well considering Bruce Almighty is a piece of **** itself, I don't think it really belongs in this category ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Bruce Almighty was a masterpiece in comparison. That's how bad Evan Almighty is.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭deeks

Lost Boys : The Tribe.

Need I say more??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

"Shock Treatment", the sequel to "Rocky Horror Picture Show" is apparently so bad it's been erased from the public/critical consciousness.

I do have the soundtrack, mind.

414GB1D7J8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Transformers: Revenge of the fallen.

I have only ever once walked out the cinema before a film has finished, and it was during this atrocious pile of garbage.

Just read the title again, I suppose the original was not a "great" film, but I certainly found it quite enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

I am one of the few who liked sequel much better the boring and dull first one,
    I found this movie really underrated, I enjoy it more then first one!,

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

ONCE WERE WARRIORS sequel
    WHAT BECOMES OF THE BROKEN HEARTED? has got to be the worst, most ill judged sequel ever.

What were THEY thinking?!?! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Mission Impossible 2.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I don't know if they actually count as sequels or whether they're just follow ups on the same general idea, but the Butterfly Effect 2 and 3 are two of the worst films I have ever seen, especially considering that the Butterfly Effect is one of my favourite "original" films. Has such a wow factor each time I watch it.

On the flip side of the coin, while I'm not a fan of sequels in any way shape or form, particularly sequels of films that I would rank amongst my favourites, Toy Story 3 is surely one of the greatest sequels ever made. Truely fantastic

• Advertisement

As a flip side to the crappy sequels thread, what sequels do people actually like? for me:

The Empire Strikes back
    - George Lucas considers it the worst Star Wars movie, that should be enough indication to suggest its the best one, being that it has themes, a plot, well developed characters and lack of teddy bears comedy.

Toy Story 2 and 3- Pixar did the impossible and made not only a sequel but a threequel that surpassed the original classic.

The Bourne Supremacy+ Ultimatum- same here, Identity is great, the sequels even better, even if Supremacy does just feel like a bridge, the way
    the end of Supremacy is actually the middle of Ultimatum
    was very cleverly done.

Aliens- completely different in tone to the Ridley Scott classic, its a gung ho, armed to the teeth, tense rollercoaster ride of a movie. From when the aliens start dropping into the control room unil the end credits roll is one extended action sequence and one of the best climaxes of any action film ever. movies this well paced are rare beasts and Cameron pulled it off brilliantly.

Mad Max 2-I think the first one sucks, there I said it, the 2nd has some of the best car chase action ever put on film, especially the climactic chase with the truck.

Advertisement