Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC ??

Options
  • 10-01-2012 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

I am thinking of buying a new PC very soon and was wondering can anybody suggest a good machine that will last a few years, would love to build one but would not know where to even start.

My main usage will be the net and emails and gaming in particular, Oh yea and the odd bit of downloading of stuff :D

Stronghold 3 Minimum System Requirements
    OS: Windows® XP (with Service Pack 3) or Windows Vista® (with Service Pack 2) or Windows® 7
    CPU: 2.8 GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD® Athlon™ 64 3000+ or higher
    RAM: 1GB for XP / 2GB for Vista and Win7
    GFX: ATI® Radeon X1000/GeForce® 6 Series or better (128MB DirectX® 9.0c-compatible video card)

DX: DirectX 9.0c
    HDD: 2GB hard disc space free
    Audio: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card

Stronghold 3 Recommended System Requirements
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2GHz or AMD® Athlon 4850e Dual Core
    RAM: 3GB
    GFX: GeForce 9600 GSO 512MB or Radeon HD 3800 series

My Current Machine (Compaq Presario SR1709UK http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00587146&jumpid=reg_R1002_US&lc=en)
    Can I upgrade this machine to meet the required minimum spec ?

Currently it runs like a slow boat to china and will not run Stronghold 3.

Any recommendations please, mid range and not to hard on the ould pocket, (One reservation I have is brand, No Dell and No Packard Bell nothing but bad experiences with these in the past)

Many Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

aido 1976 wrote: »
    I am thinking of buying a new PC very soon and was wondering can anybody suggest a good machine that will last a few years, would love to build one but would not know where to even start.

My main usage will be the net and emails and gaming in particular, Oh yea and the odd bit of downloading of stuff :D

Stronghold 3 Minimum System Requirements
    OS: Windows® XP (with Service Pack 3) or Windows Vista® (with Service Pack 2) or Windows® 7
    CPU: 2.8 GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD® Athlon™ 64 3000+ or higher
    RAM: 1GB for XP / 2GB for Vista and Win7
    GFX: ATI® Radeon X1000/GeForce® 6 Series or better (128MB DirectX® 9.0c-compatible video card)

DX: DirectX 9.0c
    HDD: 2GB hard disc space free
    Audio: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card

Stronghold 3 Recommended System Requirements
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2GHz or AMD® Athlon 4850e Dual Core
    RAM: 3GB
    GFX: GeForce 9600 GSO 512MB or Radeon HD 3800 series

My Current Machine (Compaq Presario SR1709UK http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00587146&jumpid=reg_R1002_US&lc=en)
    Can I upgrade this machine to meet the required minimum spec ?

Currently it runs like a slow boat to china and will not run Stronghold 3.

Any recommendations please, mid range and not to hard on the ould pocket, (One reservation I have is brand, No Dell and No Packard Bell nothing but bad experiences with these in the past)

Many Thanks in advance

If anything, people here are going to steer you away from every brand.
    Its nearly always cheaper, and better to buy the components and build the PC yourself.
    Do you have a budget? What do you consider "not too hard on the ould pocket" to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Fill this out, and we'll do what we can for you. :)

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about building it. It's very easy, and if you're really stuck, there's people here that'll be happy to help you with it. I can walk you through it over Skype, or if you feel like a drive to Maynooth, I can build it for you and show you how (it's fun. :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭aido 1976

If anything, people here are going to steer you away from every brand.
    Its nearly always cheaper, and better to buy the components and build the PC yourself.
    Do you have a budget? What do you consider "not too hard on the ould pocket" to be?

My budget at the moments is approx €500 - 600, maybe a little stretch more.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Fill this out, and we'll do what we can for you. :)

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about building it. It's very easy, and if you're really stuck, there's people here that'll be happy to help you with it. I can walk you through it over Skype, or if you feel like a drive to Maynooth, I can build it for you and show you how (it's fun. :)).

If you want to ask about a new build, please include as much of the following information as possible in your thread:

1. What is your budget? [€500-600 at the moment

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Internet, email Gaming (Stronghold 3) and a bit of downloading :D

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? NO - not sure

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Yes ?? From my current machine Compaq Presario SR1709UK
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00587146&jumpid=reg_R1002_US&lc=en

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes and No, But I will consider an upgrade

5a. If yes, what size do you need.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1280 x 1024 pixels

6. Do you need any of these peripherals?
    Keyboard - Have - Logitech Illuminated Keyboard
    Mouse - Have - Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 6000
    Wireless Card - ?
    Card Reader - Currently Build in to SR1709UK
    Speakers - Have (In Monitor and External) External are Argos best

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Whats is this ?

8. How can you pay? Good old cash

9. When are you purchasing? Next 30 days, all going well

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? South Dublin

Maynooth, I actually am out there quite often with friends, I may take you up on that.

PM your details and we can have a chat about it.

This is something to look at from Hardwareversand.de. They're a German site, so you'll need to pay them by bank transfer, but I'll assume you have online banking at least, so hopefully it'd doable. The reason most people here go with HWVS is because they offer a flat €30 shipping rate to Ireland (making them great for full builds) and their prices are the best around by a fair bit.

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €503.03 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i3-2120 Box, LGA1155|€108.59
    ASRock H61M-HVS (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX|€42.25
    BitFenix Merc Beta|€32.63
    Samsung SpinPoint F4 320GB, SATA II (HD322GJ)|€69.00
    HIS HD 6850 Fan GDDR5 1024MB Native HDMI Display Port Dual-DVI|€122.99
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€40.95
    MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SB-Version Englisch|€86.62

This build means you'd pull your DVD drive, monitor, and all you peripherals from your old machine, but it would completely obliterate you old machine in terms of performance.

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement

This is something to look at from Hardwareversand.de. They're a German site, so you'll need to pay them by bank transfer, but I'll assume you have online banking at least, so hopefully it'd doable. The reason most people here go with HWVS is because they offer a flat €30 shipping rate to Ireland (making them great for full builds) and their prices are the best around by a fair bit.

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €503.03 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i3-2120 Box, LGA1155|€108.59
    ASRock H61M-HVS (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX|€42.25
    BitFenix Merc Beta|€32.63
    Samsung SpinPoint F4 320GB, SATA II (HD322GJ)|€69.00
    HIS HD 6850 Fan GDDR5 1024MB Native HDMI Display Port Dual-DVI|€122.99
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€40.95
    MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SB-Version Englisch|€86.62

This build means you'd pull your DVD drive, monitor, and all you peripherals from your old machine, but it would completely obliterate you old machine in terms of performance.

Hope that helps.

Problem is Serephucus, I dont have a clue what I am looking at or need.

LOL, right, sorry.

First component there is your processor. In this case Intel's i3 2130. It's a dual core chip, and a very powerful one at that. Your Pentium in your current computer might be a dual core as well, but per core, you're looking at, at the very least, a 50% improvement.

Second item is the motherboard. This is just a very basic one, as you're on a bit of a budget build.

Third is the case. Again just a cheap and cheerful one, though it's very good for the price. All the components listed here have been scrutinized by the veterans here, and we've found the best possible components at every price point. ;)

Forth is your hard drive. 320GB vs. your 80GB. Bit of a jump there.

Fifth is your graphics card. It's an AMD Radeon 6850. It'll be able to max out Stronghold 3 without breaking a sweat.

Next is the PSU. Powers everything, etc.

And last is your copy of Windows 7, to bring you up to date (I assume you're running XP or something)

And I've realised I've forgotten RAM, so you'd chuck this in as well. The more RAM you have, the more stuff you can have open at once without things slowing down.

Odds are with this computer, you could have a game or two of Stronghold 3, a couple of media players, and Firefox open all at once and you'd still be able to do whatever without slow-downs.

Any other questions? (No such thing as a stupid one!)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

LOL, right, sorry.

First component there is your processor. In this case Intel's i3 2130. It's a dual core chip, and a very powerful one at that. Your Pentium in your current computer might be a dual core as well, but per core, you're looking at, at the very least, a 50% improvement.

Second item is the motherboard. This is just a very basic one, as you're on a bit of a budget build.

Third is the case. Again just a cheap and cheerful one, though it's very good for the price. All the components listed here have been scrutinized by the veterans here, and we've found the best possible components at every price point. ;)

Forth is your hard drive. 320GB vs. your 80GB. Bit of a jump there.

Fifth is your graphics card. It's an AMD Radeon 6850. It'll be able to max out Stronghold 3 without breaking a sweat.

Next is the PSU. Powers everything, etc.

And last is your copy of Windows 7, to bring you up to date (I assume you're running XP or something)

And I've realised I've forgotten RAM, so you'd chuck this in as well. The more RAM you have, the more stuff you can have open at once without things slowing down.

Odds are with this computer, you could have a game or two of Stronghold 3, a couple of media players, and Firefox open all at once and you'd still be able to do whatever without slow-downs.

Any other questions? (No such thing as a stupid one!)

But can it cook?! ( sorry, I could not resist a stupid question :) )

Op, that will be a very solid low budget pc. It will stronghold like a champ. In time you wil be able to upgrade CPU to i5 2400 etc, but it's not vital for gaming now.
    If you have a few spare quid I would recomend grabbing 6870 instead of 6850. It will be just few quid more, but well worth it.

If I am not mistaken you will be getting a German version of windows there, so you might aswel download english installation and burn it on disc, then use the license key.

Nope, the copy I chose is English (for ease of installation.) Having said that, nice way to save €6 to put towards a 6870... ;)

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=39510&agid=1004

€147.50 vs. €123.

At 1280x1024, it gives you approximately a 13% performance boost, for 19% more cost, so it's decent value in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Nope, the copy I chose is English (for ease of installation.) Having said that, nice way to save €6 to put towards a 6870... ;)

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=39510&agid=1004

€147.50 vs. €123.

At 1280x1024, it gives you approximately a 13% performance boost, for 19% more cost, so it's decent value in that regard.

Good morning sunshine! :D

So they started to stack up with English versions now? I bet they did not expected such success from some island thousand miles away :). Good news so!

A bit offtopic, but those sandy i3 really get a good spot in budget builds. Unfortunately amd is lossing battle there too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement