Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[CoD Black Ops 2] News and Discussion

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭mlindsay215

whats the point in prestige of weapons, i did my type 25, pointless though as i lost all my attatchments

After first prestige you can engrave your clan name into the gun, after second prestige (the max) you can have your emblem on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

ah cheers for that, i was tempted to do it for a while, they seem to level up quite quick anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i've just unlocked the Gold Camo, for my MP7.

Can anyone tell me if i prestige the MP7, or prestige when i reach level 55, will the camo's also be re-locked like the attachments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Any word on a patch? I think I've rage quit in this game in a week more than I have in all other Cod's combined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭DanTheMan91

johndoe99 wrote: »

Can anyone tell me if i prestige the MP7, or prestige when i reach level 55, will the camo's also be re-locked like the attachments.

I believe if you prestige the weapon you will lose all attachments and camo, if you reach rank 55 and prestige you will keep all attachments and camo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

When you prestige the weapon you don't lose any camo just the attachments. I'm not sure what happens when you prestige yourself though, as far I know you keep all camos but the weapon will be locked until you rank high enough to unlock it again.

Just unlocked the gold camo on the MP7 tonight too and I've prestiged it twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,454 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Was going to start a thread for this but probably not a need.

OK so this is my situation, my xbox broke just before the game came out. Used to be a big COD fan playing the crap out of pretty much all of them from 4 until last year when I stopped playing MW3 quite early. This is the first game that I haven't got on release since 4 and have started getting the itch again. Is it worth it? I could do a lot of reading through the forum and I know it's still early days but just want to get a few broad general thoughts on the multiplayer before I go and buy it because I'm getting Halo 4 with my new xbox and might just stick with that for the time being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Best off renting it or getting a lend for a dew days. I really like it but theres alot that dont, you might like it.... you might not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

When you prestige you keep everything on the MP7. You never lose the camo.

When you prestige the weapon, you just lose attachments.

I've prestiged my sexy golden R870 shotgun twice now so i can have my emblem and clan tag on it. Also you get 10,000 XP worth of challenges and 2 calling cards along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

Chavways wrote: »
    Any word on a patch? I think I've rage quit in this game in a week more than I have in all other Cod's combined.
    What exactly do you what them to patch? The lag? I can't see it getting any better.....treyarch games have horrendous coding.

IW - put danger close, commando, dead mans hand in the game.

Treyarch - lag

Take your pick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

What exactly do you what them to patch? The lag? I can't see it getting any better.....treyarch games have horrendous coding.

Treyarch - lag

Take your pick.

I said it in the other thread already but if it wasnt for the lag this would be the best COD in years, but its so infuriating losing every other gunfight that you wind up rushing and getting even more frustrated, I went 1-12 on a match the other night, got killed three times within about 30 seconds, including spawning into a guys line of sight.

krudler wrote: »

I said it in the other thread already but if it wasnt for the lag this would be the best COD in years, but its so infuriating losing every other gunfight that you wind up rushing and getting even more frustrated, I went 1-12 on a match the other night, got killed three times within about 30 seconds, including spawning into a guys line of sight.

Lol that happened me on Yemen last night. I spawned, saw a guy right in front of me, I looked at him for a split second and said, no it HAS to be a teammate , killed straight away. I looked at the killcam and I spawned right in front of him. Instant rage quit.

Honestly I think it's one of the worst cods, considering it's their 9th attempt.

Lol that happened me on Yemen last night. I spawned, saw a guy right in front of me, I looked at him for a split second and said, no it HAS to be an enemy. Killed straight away. I looked at the killcam and I spawned right in front of him. Instant rage quit.

Honestly I think it's one of the worst cods
    , considering it's their 9th attempt.

Coding for lag and spawns definitely, but when it works and you can get a decent game going its really enjoyable, why, why, whyyyy cant they just get it right? its either well coded and full of bullsh1t or has little bullsh1t and doesnt work properly, youd think with the amount of money the franchise generates they could invest in some proper servers so everyone is on a level playing field.

Has anyone been able to unlock the Diamond Camo yet:

http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/Diamond_Camouflage

Coding for lag and spawns definitely, but when it works and you can get a decent game going its really enjoyable, why, why, whyyyy cant they just get it right? its either well coded and full of bullsh1t or has little bullsh1t and doesnt work properly, youd think with the amount of money the franchise generates they could invest in some proper servers so everyone is on a level playing field.

In fairness treyarch have put plenty of bull**** in black ops 2 to go along with their terrible coding.

They'll never have dedicated servers, why would they? People keep buying yr after yr without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

In fairness treyarch have put plenty of bull**** in black ops 2 to go along with their terrible coding.

They'll never have dedicated servers, why would they? People keep buying yr after yr without them.

Would be nice if they did a similar option as BF3 with private dedicated servers. That would not even cost them anything apart from the coding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

No I'm working on it for the Snipers and LMGs

Will be a fair bit of work

More fool us, COD is like the abusive husband of gaming, we keep going back to give him one more chance :pac:

The diamond camo, I have it for SMG's, much prefer the gold tbh.

• Advertisement

More fool us, COD is like the abusive husband of gaming, we keep going back to give him one more chance :pac:

I can honestly say, this is the last hiding he'll give me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Is the Platinum league the highest or does it go up?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Momento Mori

I really enjoyed BO1. Can't say I've played any CoD after that. From what I've seen, they just don't appeal to me in any way.

So many BETTER games out there.

The diamond camo, I have it for SMG's, much prefer the gold tbh.

they did a great job with the gold, looks stunning

Treyarch - lag

Take your pick.

I've never played a COD that has had such bad connection problems as this one. I don't see how it could be that difficult to alter the lag compensation back to the way it was in the old games. In WAW and MW2 if I had a 4 bar I knew I could rely on it and I would win most of the gunfights. In this, I have a 4 bar all the time but die from bullets I don't even see on my screen but in the killcam I've been sprayed.

If they could fix the connection problems and take out some headglitching spots this game would be a 9.5/10 in my opinion.

Nearly have it for the Launchers. Just have to finish getting the RPG gold.

It'll just be a distraction for me, I couldn't stop looking at a teammates diamond sniper when I died in SND. Looks deadly.

• Advertisement

Nearly have it for the Launchers. Just have to finish getting the RPG gold.

It'll just be a distraction for me, I couldn't stop looking at a teammates diamond sniper when I died in SND. Looks deadly.

the diamond crossbow is cool too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

Does Scavanger refill launcher ammo does anyone know?

Does Scavanger refill launcher ammo does anyone know?

Yes but it works differently.

If you kill someone with the launcher you don't get a scav pack.
    If you knife/shoot them then you do get a pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

Yes but it works differently.

If you kill someone with the launcher you don't get a scav pack.
    If you knife/shoot them then you do get a pack.

Cheers for that, think my anti UAV class will be running scavanger then so when I decide whether I should buy it or not as opposed to renting!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Shifty Shellshock

This guy is a beast at Black ops 2!

• Advertisement

wtf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,707 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Just wasted 16 seconds of my life that ill never get back

this is crap dont watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

anyone else get turned on by that video?

I have to watch it now that someone said Don't watch it.

Im guessing its something stupid or spawn trapping demo

Haha I was a bit wrong.

Good song actually.

I have to watch it now that someone said Don't watch it.

Im guessing its something stupid or spawn trapping demo
    Starts off with nuketown and then it's a stupid music video

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Starts off with nuketown and then it's a stupid music video

Didn't even have the decency to be a rick roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Do not insult Epic Sax man.

donmeister wrote: »
    Do not insult Epic Sax man.

Its an unreal tune to be fair.

• Advertisement

I’m going to go “out there” with this comment which will understandably get a lot of people’s backs up but I felt it’s only right to give my honest opinion.

A lot of these comments about lag compensation make it appear as though the issue is very frequent, almost on a 1:1 ratio.

For me, I use a 60MB fibre optic broadband (I have access to 100mb but I’ve no need to use it, even then there has been next to no difference in my experience of multiplayer between the two).

I play with a group of guys I play alongside that will mix between HCTF and groundwar, or if I find myself on my own I’ll play some core HQ.

Now before I go on further, and without sounding egotistical I’m ranked 2421 in the world overall based on score, and I’ve a current average SPM of 381 (it varies between game types on HCTF I have 409 on HQ I have 387 etc, (think it maybe went down last evening to 351 due to some messing around).

I’m an objective player so I find myself aiming for the objective to arm/defend/capture, whatever, and make kills from the point of the objective. My K/D is only 1.00/0.99 at the moment, but I can honestly say this is because as I’ve said, I’m more objective based, I would rather hide and grab the objective and then engage the enemy.

Most gun battles 1vs1 I win unless over range as I’ll use either an SMG or the KAP-40 (single wield), however once in a blue moon (I think for example a week ago) there was a game that I seemed much slower than my opponents. There was no noticeable lag other than my team mates where complaining of something being very seriously wrong with the server, next game was the same, so we backed out and re-entered into a different lobby and it seemed fine afterwards, its happened once or twice since then .

I think it’s also important to add that I’m not host very often, but when I am I still don’t notice any difference.

It would be something we wouldn’t normally complain about simply because it’s not something we notice often, generally the enemies are much slower anyway so even if there was some slight lag compensation it wouldn’t matter much . That said, I know for a few guys picked this up over the last day or two and who haven’t mentioned anything about lag or any lag related issues in game. If they have a bad game they know it’s down to their level of skill during that game than anything else.

I think the term lag compensation and latency issues are banded about all too often and it’s because we are all too aware of the issue that makes it so easy to blame it on.

For me, a lot of players complaining about these issues constantly are those who have not yet adjusted to the speed and pace of BlOps2 as opposed to BlOps1.

BlOps2s’ pace rivals that of MW2/3 and so I personally find that this game is better handled by those who are used to a lot going on at once than those who approach with caution.

My difference is that I hated MW2/3, yet my style of play has not changed since BlOps, it was hard getting used to the speed of the players, and the aggressive attack/defence nature of the players (as opposed to half ass-ing it in the middle of the map), but I got there, adapted and now it works.

TL;DR

I think there’s too much blame being shifted onto this lag compensation issue. Yes there can be lag issues on a yellow bar, but nothing as bad that it should impact your style of play by anything more than that a few extra deaths.

I play with a clan of 81 Irish members, at least 30 of those are regularly active on blops and maybe only 5-10 of those have ever experienced this issue, or at least told us about it, and at that maybe only 1-2 people get it badly per evening.

My point is, I don’t play much outside the community but I think that based on the scale I have at hand the problem isn’t as big as everyone here is making it out to be, to me, it simply seems like a lot of whining and moaning about a bad game or two following on from maybe what the player thinks was a “good” or at least “average” game.

Don’t get me wrong, I see people complaining all over the internet about this issue, but again, to me, it looks as though it’s just another normal player having another normal bad game and looking at something to blame it on.

Then again I could be totally wrong and just extremely fortunate, but some of the top players in BlOps2 have various youtube vids and blogs etc and browsing some of them I can’t see lag compensation being a major issue, it may have been touched on, but it’s never a recurring theme, and as such doesn’t appear to be a huge issue, at least not with them.

I sincerely apologise about the length of this post, it went on a bit more than expected. I’d just like to add that I’m open to criticism of my opinion but it is only that, I don’t claim to know everything if anything about the technical aspect of lag compensation, just enough to know it doesn’t appear to affect myself and the group I play with in a big way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

@mlindsay215

I do like this game and it generally plays ok but every now and again (& it's frequent enough) it becomes unplayable. I've had sessions where I literally can't kill anyone. I'm no great player but have played COD online since MW2 and know my level.

Blops 1 had awful MP when it first released. This went on longer than people seem to remember but it was well over a month until they fixed it. Not saying Blops 2 is going to get better, hope it does but if it stays as is I will be back to MW2 soon and all the fkn hackers!

I agree with a lot of what you say and understand with everyone raging about lag how people think this is what is getting them killed when it's really just bad play & know this has happened to me. But game's still broken in its' current state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭smoking_kills

@mlindsay215

"I think the term lag compensation and latency issues are banded about all too often and it’s because we are all too aware of the issue that makes it so easy to blame it on."

Oh where to start.....

If you’re not seeing any issues good for you, and I do mean that. But a lot of people are very experienced players with years of time put into these games. We know when there is an Issue with the connection..

I play for fun so dying a lot does in no way bother me, so i would never use any excuses. however my gripes with the current net code in MW3 and Blops2 are, I think, justafied. Simply put the issues need not exist. It clearly benefits a lot of players, and hinders more. As I have said ad nausea, in MW2 and COD4 no one complained about connection issues, as the net code/matchmaking in those games was tested properly and matchmaking was more effective..

IW/SledgeHammer have stated and released patches for "Balancing Lag Comp" In MW3. This was an attempt to make the code more palatable to all. So this is not an excuse, as most people who dont experience it think....The Code have evolved from MW2's thru blops to mw3 and blops 2. Essentially they are now penalizing anyone with a good connection(low ping) , as you are Ignorant of this (you gave you download speed but not your ping) have a read of my post from yesterday. It explains in detail the MW3 coding structure and what the code was attempting to doing, and why so many are having problems..also some of the myths, especially the bandwith one...

Rob

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056818074

Well I sincerely hope that for those that suffer from this issue that treyarch do take actions to improve the quality of the game. I think it’s a great game and it would be a shame to move from this to that steaming mess of dirt MW2.

That said if I come across this I will certain keep a note and record it here and likewise with anyone else in the IRLCLAN.

go to speedtests.net and report back you're ping.

also if you play with other players in a party the party leader esemtially does the matchmaking. So if you do start to suffer, change whoever is party leader until you find the best connection. This can also explain why you dont suffer the issue. the regular party leader's connection/ping, might be slightly high.

@Smoking

I would never comment on something I wasn't already familar with. That said, I've been playing from COD1 on the PC to MW right up toour latest release and yes all have had issues at some point regarding lag.

I’m aware that matchmaking uses geolocation tools which is common knowledge to not be at optimal standard part of this being because its very hard to pin point where people are when using a IP.

I also know that this means that you are paired with the wrong people and ping varies, as explained briefly in your thread.

Next is the idle or how much bandwidth the game needs to run to sync up all the clients.
    MW3 has the highest idle out of all the CODs the reason it stress the connection and causes some ping issues.

Finally combine that with is lag compensation with all these issues makes for what the uneducated call, lag, or as it should be known as simply being out of sync with the server.

So I expect there to be some issues when I get tossed into a game when I hear 5 Americans chatting away.
    That said, in the preferences section you have the option between “BEST”, “NORMAL” and “ANY”, if you’re running a lower speed, my advice is run normal, chances are your sync with the host should improve as there will be less to compensate for as you’re not joining games for those with the higher speed connections.

You might state that there are plenty of experienced players and that’s exactly why this problem has been tossed in the air and in my opinion made bigger than it is, but I'm talking specifically about those who are doing well at the game, the question is why, is lag compensation working in their favour all the time? Unlikely. So why are the big players not suffering much from these issues? Why do I not? Why does most of my clan not?

Based on the information and the evidence I have to hand I can only conclude that the problem is not as bad as what the interwebs suggests it is.
    If I had a euro for every time someone was killed and blamed it on lag compensation over the internet and it was likely due to their own error I’d be a billionaire.

Also, my ping averages 5-15, I'm on a very high end package and would be considered optimal in my area.

Also as our regular crowd consists of 30 regulars the party leader is often switched up, and its never consistant (the issue that is), even those who experience the problem the worst state there is no pattern to the problem, its not party leader dependant nor is it region dependant (for example only bad if we play Americans).

That said, I believe there’s far too much speculation on this issue, and unless Treyarch come to us and say, "Ok folks, the issue with the lag compensation has been fixed, here's what was wrong and here's what we've done, have a great day", I simply can't believe the issue is as widespread as the interwebs suggests.

By Treyarch being able to address the issue, based on what they say I will form a conclusion on whether or not the issue "could" be widespread.

@Smoking

I would never comment on something I wasn't already familiar with. That said, I've been playing from COD1 on the PC to MW right up toour latest release and yes all have had issues at some point regarding lag.

I’m aware that matchmaking uses geolocation tools which is common knowledge to not be at optimal standard part of this being because it’s very hard to pin point where people are when using a IP.

Correct, ISP's tend to buy Ip's in bulk. An usually the Ip is still registered with the buyer. If the buyer is in say America, the matchmaking will mistake you for a yank and pop you into a lobby oover there, 3arc said they were changing to an ping-priority based matchmaking, yet I’m still getting into American lobbies as well. So the matchmaking is still buggy...

I also know that this means that you are paired with the wrong people and ping varies, as explained briefly in your thread.

Yes, but as I also explained, the lower the ping, the grater the punishment

Next is the idle or how much bandwidth the game needs to run to sync up all the clients.
    MW3 has the highest idle out of all the CODs the reason it stress the connection and causes some ping issues.

10/mb per hour is tiny, Blops 2 's bandwidth is actually smaller than WAW's even with theater mode. Even as host the bandwidth can easily be handled, plus they will check bandwidth when picking the host. A 15 year old 56k dial up modem could handle this game easily, Its not a bandwidth issue. If it was QOS on a router would solve it.

Finally combine that with is lag compensation with all these issues makes for what the uneducated call, lag, or as it should be known as simply being out of sync with the server.

Nope, lag and loss of sync are 2 different things, if you lose sync you will get booted, usually after you stall. you know in a game when everyone moves back and forth, when you /stutter, you know those games where you know your losing the host, and get kicked bak into the lobby, that’s loss of sync (mostly) basically a comms issue with the host and clients. Lag is different as I explained.

So I expect there to be some issues when I get tossed into a game when I hear 5 Americans chatting away.
    That said, in the preferences section you have the option between “BEST”, “NORMAL” and “ANY”, if you’re running a lower speed, my advice is run normal, chances are your sync with the host should improve as there will be less to compensate for as you’re not joining games for those with the higher speed connections.

The ANY/BEST/NORMAL is just lazy in my opinion. If they corrected the net code and tested the matchmaking properly it would be needed. Whatever option you choose, its pot luck. Again it’s not needed, if the backed is good enough. And again, this is not a syncing issue, the host does the syncing, not the clients, they simply respond to the requests from the host.

You might state that there are plenty of experienced players and that’s exactly why this problem has been tossed in the air and in my opinion made bigger than it is, but I'm talking specifically about those who are doing well at the game, the question is why, is lag compensation working in their favor all the time? Unlikely. So why are the big players not suffering much from these issues? Why do I not? Why does most of my clan not?

The majority of BIG youtubers live in large population areas, Uk, USA, mainland europe. Living in a high density area is a huge advantage. As the matchmaking has lots of close/fast (metropolitan areas tend to have far better net than rural) players to pick from. Hence it’s an advantage. So as i stated in my other post, teh closer the ping ranges the less effect the system has. That tends to be why they dont complain, also even with the LAG issues I can still get gameplays, 70-3 yesterday. So as long as they get gameplays why would they complain. And your right it's Unlikely they are having a good experience all the time. However what the actual number is might be 80% of the time, the othr 20% is laggy, Thats far more appealing than having it the other way around.

Based on the information and the evidence I have to hand I can only conclude that the problem is not as bad as what the interwebs suggests it is.
    If I had a euro for every time someone was killed and blamed it on lag compensation over the internet and it was likely due to their own error I’d be a billionaire.

I would agree with that but only to an extent. However there are legitimate problems with the net code/lag comp in MW3 and now Blops 2, simply ignoring them will not make the go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

If you're ping is so low and your connection so great then surely you know that your online experience isn't representative of what the vast majority of players experience in online play?

Speedtest/pingtest have a stat that tell you what % better than the rest of the country, mine is slower than 60% of the country, I'd wager that yours is in the top 10% beaten only by large businesses and centres of education and as such you're a poor barometer to judge connection issues for the majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

If you aren't seeing the lag/connection problems you're one of the lucky ones, it's definitely there

• Advertisement

yimrsg wrote: »
    If you're ping is so low and your connection so great then surely you know that your online experience isn't representative of what the vast majority of players experience in online play?

Speedtest/pingtest have a stat that tell you what % better than the rest of the country, mine is slower than 60% of the country, I'd wager that yours is in the top 10% beaten only by large businesses and centres of education and as such you're a poor barometer to judge connection issues for the majority.

Your correct my online experience wouldn’t be a great representative of what the vast majority of players experience if it where based soley on speeds.

That said, that’s what lag compensation is about, at a higher connection I’m supposed to suffer MORE because I’m supposed to be keeping in with the average.

Yes mine is at 80% faster, but as I stated with the net code being used this should prove as a hindrance to me, take my brothers connection for example, he’s on 10mb SKY broadband and he suffers next to no issues as do I, we play in servers almost every night for a number of hours and would be lucky to run into this issue once.

Therefore, because of how the lag compensation works I should actually be in the best position to be a barometer to judge connections because theoretically I should suffer the most.

Even Smoking agrees :
    Yes, but as I also explained, the lower the ping, the grater the punishment

My ping is very low.
    If you aren't seeing the lag/connection problems your one of the lucky ones, it's definitely there.

I’ve confirmed it is, and I appreciate there are many who claim to suffer these issues, my point is simply I don’t believe it to be as bad as it’s made out, that said, I could be totally wrong, I’d only be too happy to be wrong in this case.
    Nope, lag and loss of sync are 2 different things, if you lose sync you will get booted, usually after you stall. you know in a game when everyone moves back and forth, when you /stutter, you know those games where you know your losing the host, and get kicked bak into the lobby, that’s loss of sync (mostly) basically a comms issue with the host and clients. Lag is different as I explained.

Consider when one person gets the connection interrupted message and nobody else does, he completely loses sync with the host, but his connection reboots instantly and hits a speed faster than the host to draw even and he comes back into the game as though nothing had happened, this is where I derive my point from.

Lag as we know is caused by increased pings through packet loss, completely different I agree, but this was not what I meant, I apologise if this is how I came across, I meant that people call becoming out of sync lag, therefore, uneducated in what lag and syncing out actually is.

Glad to see some sensible discussion on this topic, it's about time we picked apart the technical aspects of this lag compensation.

Advertisement