Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blanchardstown Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Jesus, what is the world coming to? That is mental. Scum like that should never be allowed out on the streets again, once caught.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Sorry Pat, would you mind giving a little more info for those who can't or would prefer not to listen to the clip right now. Thanks.

Zaph wrote: »
    Sorry Pat, would you mind giving a little more info for those who can't or would prefer not to listen to the clip right now. Thanks.

Woman and her husband (with newborn baby in the back seat), pulling into a parking space in the Centre on Saturday afternoon. A black Ford Mondeo flies up inside them and takes the space, so they give a beep. A man gets out of the offending car and comes up to the window of this woman, then begins threatening to smash the windows so she gets out to stop him from doing so and protect her baby from shards of glass.

The man looked like he was going to headbutt her so she moved back, at which point he punched her in the head and sent her to the ground. As he is about to start kicking her, the womans husband then gets out of the car and is set upon by three men from the car, getting a bit of a beating in the process.

The gards were called but the Mondeo's plates were fake and nobody has been caught in relation to it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Thanks for the summary. That's appalling, hopefully they'll have decent CCTV footage of those guys and that might help catch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Did the elderly bloke actually get a registration or was it simply to scare them off?

Hopefully the scum are caught.

• Advertisement

They got a reg number but apparently the plates were fake.

Well if they were Pikey's (let me guess, am, I am not allowed say that word in this P.C world we live in :) ) then not surprise.

The Blanch centre was supposed to me the most secure center in Europe at one stage, hopefully that will come in to use now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

that is an awful story. Hope the perps get caught.

Seeing as the thread is called Blanchardstown SC, I've put this in here as a positive news story however. Good to see new stores moving in or expanding as per today's Irish Times. I would question the need for a 3rd Boots in the SC though. What's really impressive is that in the midst of this dire recession, the centre is now fully let with international retailers waiting to get in.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/commercialproperty/2012/0111/1224310093749.html

Boots expands in west Dublin

Boots is believed to have agreed a rent of about €1.3 million for a large new store at Blanchardstown in west Dublin.

Development work is to begin later this month on the new unit, which will extend to 1,850sq m (20,000sq ft) on the upper level close to River Island.
    Boots has traded in Blanchardstown since it opened in 1996 and currently rents two stores with a total floor area of 930sq m (10,000sq ft).
    The UK multiple is not the only one expanding at the centre. Champion Sports, recently taken over by the UK based JD Sports, recently opened an enlarged store of 230sq m (2,500sq ft). The rent is believed to be in the region of €400,000.
    Vodafone has also doubled its retail space to 140sq m (1,500sq ft), opening the way for Danish jewellery store Pandora to take over its old unit.
    Permanent TSB is also getting used to a larger shop of 205sq m (2,200sq ft) after closing its branch office along Blanchardstown’s main street.
    The tenant line-up in the shopping centre has been enhanced by the arrival of global cosmetics retailer Inglot. It is now trading in a shop of 75sq m (800sq ft) next to Debenhams.
    The Blanchardstown centre is now fully let and has had a number of inquiries in recent weeks from overseas traders, according to letting agent Eoin Feeney of BNP Paribas. The joint agents are Jones Lang LaSalle.

Similarly off-topic, does anyone know what is being built next to the retail park at the bottom of the Blanchardstown Road South? Best way of describing the location would be behind Captain America's and the other units there. Might not be anything major but there have been boards up around it for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Woodies/atlantic is expanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

also heard Nando's going in, when agos goes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

glossy wrote: »
    also heard Nando's going in, when agos goes

Sweet god in heaven let this be true!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

:eek:

Nandos?! No way!

Yay! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I used to like Nandos (years ago and back home), now I find it overpriced and overspiced. No thanks.

T-Maxx wrote: »
    I used to like Nandos (years ago and back home), now I find it overpriced and overspiced. No thanks.

That's grand I'll have yours so!

fe8c834b-3edc-45d2-a79a-6ac532dbac7e.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Drifting off-topic a bit here, lets bring it back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

I haven't seen anything in the papers or on the radio about anyone "helping AGS with their inquiries".

nudger wrote: »
    I haven't seen anything in the papers or on the radio about anyone "helping AGS with their inquiries".

There is allot that happens in the city that you will never see in the papers.

Fore example, just before Christmas Moore street turned in to a riot area where members of the African community had a preplanned meet up with bars and machetes etc and went to town on each other.

The Gardi contacted all the stores in that area to state they were aware and on top of the situation but it never made the news.

That in it's self is a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

That sounds like it was the crack, never heard a word about it, but the incident in Blanch was on the Joe show 2 days that I know of and I'm sure there will be a follow up.

nudger wrote: »
    That sounds like it was the crack, never heard a word about it, but the incident in Blanch was on the Joe show 2 days that I know of and I'm sure there will be a follow up.

it is heavily discussed on politics.ie and although the net is great to get news, it's national mainstream news that needs to highlight allot of this stuff.

anyhow, hopefully they catch the scum responsible.

• Advertisement

In fairness, there are times when you need to be careful in the shopping centre in Blanch. I saw an incident there a few months ago (Xmas last year) where there were a gang of men and women and kids of a certain community and they were sitting on the chairs outside Dunnes having a good look at everyone going past. One of their kids picked up one of those yellow slippery floor signs and went a hit a passerby in the shins with it, when the passerby told the young fella to be careful then straight away there were a few lads up on their feet and over roaring at the man "don't you touch my son, I'll fight ya" etc etc.

Now, in fairness to security they were on it like a shot and must have been watching the gag, but all the same. I'd always have that at the back of my mind when it comes to parking there, I try not to wander too far off the beaten track as you never know who is around the place and might be watching you buying stuff in the centre and follow you back to your car, as happened in this case - http://www.herald.ie/news/courts/violence-at-mcdonalds-after-iphone-mugging-2934559.html

You also do see some absolute head-the-balls in the car park too, flying all over the place the wrong way, waving fists, etc. I'd never get out of my car to admonish someone though, no matter if they did steal my space or whatever, you never know what sort of maniac they could be.

Arciphel wrote: »
    In fairness, there are times when you need to be careful in the shopping centre in Blanch. I saw an incident there a few months ago (Xmas last year) where there were a gang of men and women and kids of a certain community and they were sitting on the chairs outside Dunnes having a good look at everyone going past. One of their kids picked up one of those yellow slippery floor signs and went a hit a passerby in the shins with it, when the passerby told the young fella to be careful then straight away there were a few lads up on their feet and over roaring at the man "don't you touch my son, I'll fight ya" etc etc.

Now, in fairness to security they were on it like a shot and must have been watching the gag, but all the same. I'd always have that at the back of my mind when it comes to parking there, I try not to wander too far off the beaten track as you never know who is around the place and might be watching you buying stuff in the centre and follow you back to your car, as happened in this case - http://www.herald.ie/news/courts/violence-at-mcdonalds-after-iphone-mugging-2934559.html

You also do see some absolute head-the-balls in the car park too, flying all over the place the wrong way, waving fists, etc. I'd never get out of my car to admonish someone though, no matter if they did steal my space or whatever, you never know what sort of maniac they could be.

Don't be over cautious in mentioning the actual community at this stunt, it is not crime to do so and I'm sure it'll help others to avoid or prepare for similar.

There is many scams out there and it's good practice to be familiar with them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Be somewhat cautious - No whole community can be singled out as 'all the same', or 'all' involved in criminal activity.

Gaspode wrote: »
    Be somewhat cautious - No whole community can be singled out as 'all the same', or 'all' involved in criminal activity.

True but the poster can certainly state the community where the said people involved in the scam were from when posting the experience they witnessed.

I just noticed the poster seemed a little vague on the community in question and I don't think there was any need to be as a large group of them is not a coincidence, of course if it were just one person you certainly wouldn't single out the community.

I am talking about the grand bunch of lads who'd sell you a bit of carpet or offer to fix your kettle in the good old days, they ate mentioned in that link to the Herald there.

Ps I am in no way tarring that entire community with the actions of a small few individuals in it.

From reading the thread over on politics.ie it seems that the guys responsible for the attack in the OP's message were seen driving into a halting site in West Dublin during the week and that someone recorded this and submitted the info the guards. Didn't know this before I was telling what I have seen in the centre myself previously, I should add.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭annR

For these reasons, I think I would avoid if at all possible having 'words' with someone over anything .. ..you never know what would happen. Road rage / car park rage is just there waiting to happen from what I can see. Have to be very careful out there. Unfortunate but that's the way.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Did you hear following interview which was aired on Joe Duffy's Liveline today?

http://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A3163458%3A53%3A10%2D01%2D2012%3A

The interview starts 06 mins 30 sec (approx) into the programe

Jesus that's horrendous :mad: are there no security cameras in those car parks?

Scum of the Earth!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

annR wrote: »
    For these reasons, I think I would avoid if at all possible having 'words' with someone over anything .. ..you never know what would happen. Road rage / car park rage is just there waiting to happen from what I can see. Have to be very careful out there. Unfortunate but that's the way.

Yes, exactly! Remember what happened to that poor guy near Merrion Gate last year in D4 when he rightly admonished another motorist for some traffic offence (can't remember exactly what) and the other guy got out of his car with a baseball bat and whacked him. He died a few days later in hospital. Thankfully this thug was arrested.

There are times I get really irate with others careless or reckless behaviour on the roads and beep horns etc but threads like this make me realise I should think twice about any sort of reacting when there are clearly lots of nutters out there.

Advertisement