Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Certified Java exam

• 10-01-2012 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

I am in my graduate position (in an investment bank) nearly a year and I had my appraisal there during the week and my manager said to me that he would like me to sit the 'Oracle Certified Java Programmer' exam which they will pay for but I would have to do all the study for it myself (i.e. wont pay for me to go to classes on it).

It would be one of my goals for the year.

The one thing I am worried about is if I fail it, as I dont have a lot of spare time as I work long enough hours in work and when I am not in work I am doing something like I never really sit around and watch TV when I get home. So not sure where I would fit in the time to study for it. If I fail it I am worried it might reflect badly on me.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Do you do any java at work ? Its a tricky enough language, and I think it would a be steep learning curve especially if you have to self educate in your spare time. If you were gaining some experience at work with somebody mentoring you it would speed up the process greatly.

I think the test costs a few hundred euro and it would a be pretty good deal for the company to get an employee up to a fully qualified java programmer for that kind of an outlay.

I don't know how much weight the cert carry's, but Java is one of the most popular (and in demand) languages. I think to be fair they company should offer some more support, be it some training or days off. I think you should say you will have to pull less hours also. I know for certain that I just could not try and learn something complex if I am wrecked after a long day at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭pakb1ue

They did say they would allocate time for me to study for it but TBH I cant see that happening as I will probably use that time to finish off my tasks in work.

I have a Comp Sci degree and Java was the main programming language, I did two week training course in it when I started here and did another course on it not so long ago.

But I dont use it all that often in work as I get the jobs no else wants to do like the config stuff.

Advertisement