Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Ramp - recommendations

• 10-01-2012 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Any recommendations for a dog ramp? I.E where to get a cheap one!?

My dog is getting older and not a fan of jumping in the boot.

They seem to be quite expensive. Whats the advantage of a telescopic one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Be careful with a cheap one - I got a wooden one from eBay and it was too heavy and also it had no rubber studs/no slip parts on the part that sits on the bumper so would slip. I got a Trixie Petwalk for around €80-90 from the uk (i'll dig out the link) and it's brilliant - it's plastic so nice and light for me, has non slip studs so it doesn't move around on the bumper etc If you look at them online Solvit ones come up a lot and are expensive - the Trixie one is a black Solvit one in a Trixie box - it says Solvit on the ramp. My dog has problems with his legs and is young and in the car 3 or 4 times a week so I wanted something easy to use and that would last since we'd use it a lot - the back of my car is quite high so I needed the ramp to minimise the impact on his joints.
    For getting him to use it I used a clicker and shaping so started say with him sniffing it, to putting a paw on it, two paws, standing on it, walking across it etc etc with plenty of praise and treats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

We got quite a heavy one from MaxiZoo - last of the large ones they had that day.
    So far it is working quite well - it folds over in half so we can stow it behind the seats.

Only thing soon learn that we need to be careful opening it - very easy to twist your thumb if it snaps open (still sore on that one), or pinch your finger or hand. Just like anything attention is always needed.

However would not be without it - our dogs have hip issues so this ramp is a lifesaver. Took them a little bit of time to get used to going up and coming down but now they are fine with it.

Final tip - don't park your car facing uphill - makes the incline on the ramp too severe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Hi : these all sound v good and handy! When my dog was sick I needed a ramp for her to getin the back without hurting her stomach so not knowing about maxi-zoo etc I went down to B&Q and got a board for about e30 and got them to cut it to the right length & width for me. Cost me about e30 . If I'd been less fussy I could have got an off-cut one for free from them . A folding one sounds v handy thou!!!

The folding one I have is brilliant - I love it lol! Especially now that we're at the stage that he's allowed off the lead etc - back to using his ramp and no more lifting him in and out of the car! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement