Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A fault with the new extra points for Higher Maths scheme!

• 11-01-2012 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

So hear me out. I'm doing higher Maths for Leaving Cert and they have this new policy: if you get over a D3 and Maths is one of your top 6 subjects then you get +25 points. But there's the rub, if Maths has to be in the top 6 then wouldn't this policy encourage students to purposely dumb down their second weakest subject just to make sure that Maths gets into their top 6? For example: I'm doing pass Irish, so if I get an A in that (60 points) and a D in maths (45 points, excluding the 25), I will lose 10 points, as Irish will be put in my top 6 rather than Maths. What's fascinating about this scenario is that; if I had gone into my Irish exam and answered one of the questions in French to hinder my Irish result below my Maths result, I would have done better in the Leaving Cert point scheme! I'm seriously considering doing this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

tazmanian wrote: »
    So hear me out. I'm doing higher Maths for Leaving Cert and they have this new policy: if you get over a D3 and Maths is one of your top 6 subjects then you get +25 points. But there's the rub, if Maths has to be in the top 6 then wouldn't this policy encourage students to purposely dumb down their second weakest subject just to make sure that Maths gets into their top 6? For example: I'm doing pass Irish, so if I get an A in that (60 points) and a D in maths (45 points, excluding the 25), I will lose 10 points, as Irish will be put in my top 6 rather than Maths. What's fascinating about this scenario is that; if I had gone into my Irish exam and answered one of the questions in French to hinder my Irish result below my Maths result, I would have done better in the Leaving Cert point scheme! I'm seriously considering doing this.

They won't count it as 45, they'll count it as 70, so that it is therefore higher than Irish, and gets counted, and you get an extra 10 points.

It's set up like this so that if you get, say all b1's in your other 6, and a d3 in maths, then you won't get any bonus points for having done honours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

not true, your maths would be counted. ahead of the irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 tazmanian

not true, your maths would be counted. ahead of the irish

Ahhh I see, thanks for the heads up guys :)

Advertisement