Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Ireland, wondering about Waterford..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Jamerican wrote: »
    Just remember it's not all shamrocks , pints of guinness, and river dancing on the edges of cliffs.

LOL, classic! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Cork is more scenic,it's not too big or small

These sort of comments really annoy me. Everyone has their own idea of what's too big or too small. Someone from London or Paris would think Dublin is a village.

Waterford has 50,000 people. People can make up their own minds as to whether that's too big or small for their own preferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭angelfalling

Jamerican wrote: »
    If you are leaving the US to for a better quality of life and job outlook, I would honestly say stay where you are unless you have a massive savings to live on for a while. There is no doubt that you could eventually find work, but the financial strain of finding a work visa, finding decent empolyment, and all of the miscellaneous costs of moving countries adds up fast.

Yes, and being qualified for secretarial work isn't good enough. You'll be lucky getting a visa (to work, you cannot work as a visitor when you enter with a visitor stamp for 3 months). You won't find that sort of work anyways, and you'll be lucky to get a job in a convenience store. Let me also be clear that any job they can give to an Irish person first, they will. And there are a lot of out of work residents, particularly in Waterford.

Rose tinted glasses. Quite frankly, there are so many amazing places to give it a go in America where employment would be easier to find and moving would be cheaper and quality of life would be much much much higher. Music scenes are dying as musicians can't get paid and pubs are dying because people have no money to spend. It's just not a good time to think of Ireland as a good place to move. Most people are emigrating out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

After all is said & done in this particular town it's all
    about who you know & not what you know & I've availed
    of that influence let me assure you.

In reality we're a parochial nation where a nod & a wink
    opened more doors than Carlton!

If you can't or didn't get that you've never watched
    Valerie Harper in 'Rhoda'

Good night all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

waterford is a lovely place to live,
    it has everything,,, best beaches in ireland,,, great mountains,,, a city center full of all the top shops, bars and resturants,,, brilliant schools and collages,,, waterford hurling team,,, waterford united fc,,, cheap booze in most pubs,,,,chris doran,,, val doonigan,,, gilbert o sullivan,,, oldest city in ireland,,, beautiful quays and river,,, crusty and soft blaas,,, flavans porridge,,, john tracey,,, kelly proper,,, WLRfm,,, matt keane,,, billy mccarthy,,,

best city in ireland by a million miles.
    dublin,cork,limerick,galway are kips to live in

Im a proud Cork man but my mother is from Waterford and i do like to see Waterford do well at hurling so long as there not playing Cork :pac: but tbh i think this is the sort of small time parochialism that has held Waterford city back and is the reason that Waterford lag's behind the other cities in terms of facilities and investment.Waterford in general is much better than the much more hyped Galway(Cork and Waterford are ancient port cities.Galway was a fishing village that developed into a big town that thinks it's a city.)The people are friendlier and there much more down to earth than the Galweigans.I would pick Waterford over any other city in ireland except Cork and maybe Dublin.Cork is fair bit bigger than Waterford but it's a lot smaller than Dublin and the views of the sunrises and sunsets from the bridges are lovely.Both the county Cork and Waterford countryside have lovely scenery too.As for this talk about crime and scumbags every urban area in Ireland has that problem.Thugs like that have no sense of pride or respect for wherever their hometown may be.No matter where you pick Cork and Waterford cities are an hour's drive away from each other.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 cjohnenglish

seanybiker wrote: »
    Jesus girls. Calm the feck down. Waterford is grand. Its not super duper brilliant but where is?.
    Errica is sexy and she doesn't even know she loves me yet but she will eventually.
    A home is what ya make of it no matter where you are in the world, apart from kilkenny

this!

in all seriousness, i'm moving back to waterford from new jersey in a few months. family / friends have told me how bad it is, but i don't give **** all...i have plenty of savings to get me by a few years. my heart is there and that's all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

in all seriousness, i'm moving back to waterford from new jersey in a few months. family / friends have told me how bad it is, but i don't give **** all...i have plenty of savings to get me by a few years. my heart is there and that's all that matters.

Welcome home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

the local bus services covers all parts of the city every half hour ,

...... trains run 5 times a day between waterford and dublin..

so local transport is pretty terrible then :rolleyes:

oh wow :pac:

Sorry but this made me lol.:p
    He was clearly comparing it to big cities, I'm used to buses and subway trains every one or two minutes here.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭J-Fit

Lanaier wrote: »
    oh wow :pac:

Sorry but this made me lol.:p
    He was clearly comparing it to big cities, I'm used to buses and subway trains every one or two minutes here.

You deserve a special achievement award for the regularity of trains. Here, here.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

Not saying it's the worst out there, but I don't think we can call pubic transport in Ireland "good", even in Dublin.

Just saying, it stuck out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Nypd wrote: »

Welcome home :)

Thanks! Just noticing your username, were you nypd or live in New York at all? I'm right over the George Washington bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

Waterford lag's behind the other cities in terms of facilities .

name a few ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

name a few ???

They already have names.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

They already have names.

I'm lost on this one Seany.. who have names ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

trains run 5 times a day between waterford and dublin..

Ahem, 8 times a day actually! Jeez. :mad:

But only 4 times on a Sunday!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Ahem, 8 times a day actually! Jeez. :mad:

But only 4 times on a Sunday!

:pac:

but whatever the amount of time they travel, i think we have a decent public transport,
    flights to london, birmingham, manchester
    boats to wales and france
    busses to ballybeg
    and trains to dublin, limerick and wexford.
    and the best untolled motorway in europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

They already have names.

LOL!

Funfair wrote: »
    I'm lost on this one Seany.. who have names ?

He said name the cities but they already have names.
    Gwon dlofnep getting my weird joke haha

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

but whatever the amount of time they travel, i think we have a decent public transport,
    flights to london, birmingham, manchester
    boats to wales and france
    busses to ballybeg
    and trains to dublin, limerick and wexford.
    and the best untolled motorway in europe

when we get the flights to Spain and Lanzarotte I will agree with you :)

busses to Ballybeg :D I supose that would be an adventure alright..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 denis behan city legend

Funfair wrote: »
    when we get the flights to Spain and Lanzarotte I will agree with you :)

busses to Ballybeg :D I supose that would be an adventure alright..

To be fair, what I was getting at was that while the connectivity between Waterford and Cork, Dublin, abroad is pretty good, city wide public transport is rubbish, to put it kindly. You're quicker walking. It's not up to much in any city in Ireland if we're honest about it. I've lived in central europe, places like Paris and Brussels, and I know it's not really comparing like with like, but they're so much better with a wide choice of buses, trams and underground. I miss it, both the transport and the way of life! Still, I'm earning and life is pretty good so I can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

this!

Hey....look where I live....I'll meet ya for a pint somewhere!

chelloveks wrote: »

Cjohnenglish don't meet him he's a bollox. Haha only messing bud. If he like his famous Waterford cousin then you will have some laugh.

rutherford, huh? that's the ghetto! im up in wyckoff

only messin, i'll send you a PM. always up to meeting a fellow blaa-head

Cjohnenglish don't meet him he's a bollox. Haha only messing bud. If he like his famous Waterford cousin then you will have some laugh.

haha..speakin of cousins, i was talkin to mine the other day and they told me not to bother movin home. they said i'm too crazy and can only take seeing me for a few weeks at a time! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

haha..speakin of cousins, i was talkin to mine the other day and they told me not to bother movin home. they said i'm too crazy and can only take seeing me for a few weeks at a time! haha

Then we will get along grand, even if you live in fooookin Wykoff mr high society.....lmao just messin.....and fook off Seany ya bollox movie star on Waterford whispers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

OP, I'm sorry to burst your bubble but, as a non-EEA national married to a non-EEA national, neither of you having access to either Irish or another EEA nationality, you will not be able to live and work in Ireland unless:

a) Your prospective employer has failed, after having advertised the vacancy for at least 8 weeks with FÁS, to fill the position with an Irish / EEA national and is willing to pay you a yearly salary of at least €30k,

or

b) Your prospective employer is willing to pay you a yearly salary of at least €60k.

It's not quite as clear cut as that and other restrictions also exist, but that's about the size of it.

Then we will get along grand, even if you live in fooookin Wykoff mr high society.....lmao just messin.....and fook off Seany ya bollox movie star on Waterford whispers!

LOL! i'm on the low end of the high society in wyckoff. some of these wasps up here are so posh i really cant stand it!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Sounds
    EMar Sounds

I think the reason so many foreigners move to Waterford is because it's so quite.
    It's a Turkish guy said to me, he lives in Limerick with his family and they has never had any hassle
    from anybody despite the bad name it has for crime and drugs and stabbings. you can have bad luck anywhere.

Every city has it's ups and downs, unemployment is a big problem.

There are some beautiful spots outside Waterford city but the problem is most us never step outside the city
    to see the beauty and a lot of people don't have transport to go see these places or they just couldn't be ar$ed.
    Then they'll tell you that it's crappy.

Here's a few spots we visit sometimes Link
    You only realize how nice it is when you step out of your comfort zone, it refreshed my view.

If you're coming here you probably don't have work, if you don't have money you will probably have
    more rights than the people living here, which is sad but they do look after others before their own.

There are lots of bars and night clubs, although i wouldn't go near any of them,
    Waterford is not my scene, and i grew up here, but that's just me, you have plenty choice if you're a drinker.
    They don't allow us to buy alcohol after 10pm unless we are wiling to spend more going to bars or clubs.
    And i think most night clubs in Waterford were built for students which explains their music tastes.
    Very few places have traditional music but there's a few clubs that get good djs, and the rest is for students.

Waterford city is nice enough, lots of places to visit with your family, the city is not as expensive to live as some.

If you're looking for property try new estates, there's plenty of them about a mile outside the city.
    If i had the money that's what i'd do, the city can be stressful.

Why would you pick Waterford though? i think one of the coolest places in Ireland has to be Galway city,
    nothing like it in Ireland. They have a lot of festivals all year round and the music up there is proper traditional,
    great sessions. And i always feel kind of sad when i leave Cork city too, that's a nice spot to visit for a day's shopping.

I would stay away from city centers no matter where you decide to move.

Hope you enjoy Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Fiain

Everywhere's boring without money, you can't just pin that on Waterford.

Try living in Dublin without money.

Waterford City itself is a necessity city, I go there to shop for necessities, not to be some douche on Grafton street who bought a thimble in Brown Thomas just so they can walk around the Brown Thomas bag.But enough of my horrid experiences in Dublin.

Advertisement