Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SM Bus Controller

Options
  • 11-01-2012 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

A house near me was being cleaned out by the local corporation and i spotted one of the chaps about to chuck a PC into the skip, i asked for it and he gave it to me. Anyways it turned out to be only used once, i was unable to use it fully as there was an admin password blocking me from accessing the control panel, so i formatted it.

I managed to get all but one of the drivers from various manufacturers, as the ones on the Acer website were not compatible with Win XP Pro as Vista was previously on the machine, and i only have XP.

My Question:

In Device Manager it shows that the drivers are missing for "SM Bus Controller", am i right in that this refers to the Chipset.

The PC is running pefectly so i have no idea what the Bus Controller is used for.

Acer Aspire T671
    Intel Pentium D 2.8GHz
    1GB DDR2
    ATI Radeon Xpress 1200
    Realtek HD Audio
    180 GB HD

Thanks.

Comments

You'll need the ATI southbridge chipset software to clear that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Karsini wrote: »
    You'll need the ATI southbridge chipset software to clear that one.

I found this and installed it, it installed a Catalyst Control Centre, it looked pretty much like what i installed a few days ago for my Display Adapter, i installed it again anyways in case it was different, but the Yellow Question Mark is still next to "SM Bus Controller"

http://wikidrivers.com/wiki/ATI_South_Bridge

Check the PCI ID for the SMBus controller in Device Manager - ATI use different IDs depending on the chipset. It's a case of finding the right one. I have a few in work and can check if they're the right ones for you.

Karsini wrote: »
    Check the PCI ID for the SMBus controller in Device Manager - ATI use different IDs depending on the chipset. It's a case of finding the right one. I have a few in work and can check if they're the right ones for you.

PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4385&SUBSYS_73261462&REV_13\3&61AAA01&0&A0

Thanks for your help.

Can you tellme whats the Purpose of this SM Bus Controller

johndoe99 wrote: »
    PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4385&SUBSYS_73261462&REV_13\3&61AAA01&0&A0

Thanks for your help.

Can you tellme whats the Purpose of this SM Bus Controller
    Try this one via Device Manager, it has the 4385 ID so should work.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23270031/smbus.zip

The SMBus controller is usually used for providing information about the system or controlling fan speeds, among others. The driver installer generally just installs a dummy INF to remove it from the list of unknown drivers, it doesn't actually need a third party driver to work properly.

• Advertisement

i just solved it:

http://download.cnet.com/Chip-Set-ATI-SMBus-Driver-Version-A01/3000-2122_4-131168.html

i installed that and the yellow question mark is gone. I entered southbridge into CNET and thats how i found it, thanks for help it was you that metioned southbridge.

Thanks very much.

Advertisement