Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

300 acres of land for 165000

• 11-01-2012 12:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Theres a farm I have the option of buying in the west, mountain type land with some ok rough grazing land around the house and the rest mountain type grazing suitable for sheep.

Theres an old house on the farm also that is in reasnable condition.

I made it out at roughly 500 euros per acre.
    Do people think this is a good investment?
    The way I was thinking with possible SFP turning to a flat rate per hectare scheme is it worth a gamble.?
    From a farming perspective its poor quality land and all I'd put on it would be scottish blackface sheep and maybe a few shorthorns.

What do ye think.??
    Cheers for any advice

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Where exactly is it;)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Kevin1150

It may not qualify for the flat rate payment if not in your possession of the land or have it rented in 2011. Not 100% sure??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

jeez its either v bad land or your buying it cheap off a family member, my advice do the deal tomorrow, you wont lose out in the long run, you have options, rent it ,plant it, farm it yourself, ill help you out 50 acres 25000 ok :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

cant see how you can lose at that kind of money per acre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Either Brazil or Argentina is my guess.... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

No West of Ireland genuinely.

Yes its mountain land, just suitable for hill sheep.
    Well as it is unenclosed land you wouldnt be allowed to plant it.
    New forestry rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

There's only one question involved, can you make the repayments? An off farm job/skill would help.

I'm guessing the farm is made up of X amount of fenced land you'd own and X amount of commonage grazing? Is the commonage enclosed, or open to other areas?

Is there good stock on farm already and are they included or would you have to buy in new stock?

Kevin1150 wrote: »
    It may not qualify for the flat rate payment if not in your possession of the land or have it rented in 2011. Not 100% sure??

I think if you claimed SFP in 2011 and if you have whatever land in your possession in 2014, you can claim flat rate payment for that land in 2014.

Now this is just based on the CAP proposals.
    It could change.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭benjydagg

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Kevin1150 wrote: »

I think if you claimed SFP in 2011 and if you have whatever land in your possession in 2014, you can claim flat rate payment for that land in 2014.

It could change.
    Be careful lads. I doubt flat rate will come in overnight. The change over will have to be gradual, won't it??
    UK sites are thinking that new rules may have to be delayed till 2015.

What are people's thoughts on the value of entitlements to purchase this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

It could change.

Not the way i read them but as you say just proposals, it's better to make plans on the facts as they are and anything that comes your way after is a bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 cartonj

Unless the land is near vertical I'd say you might be missing a 0 somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

cartonj wrote: »
    Unless the land is near vertical I'd say you might be missing a 0 somewhere.

Indeed, 5,000 an acre sounds more accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭IrishLad2012

Indeed, 5,000 an acre sounds more accurate.

I don't think the type of land the OP describes would make €5000 an acre.Mountain land wouldn't make near this amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I am still sore about this, but, there was 7 acres sold next to me for €7k (total, not per acre. It's wet but drainable, covered in rushes but that can be sorted, and covered in gorse up top, can be sorted too.

Didn't know it was for sale :(

Theres plenty of mountain land for sale for small money.
    But the thing is, theres not alot you can do with it.
    No ploughing reseeding fertilizer etc.

Different type of farming altogether.
    I'll post up a pic after its sold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Its cheaper than carpet.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

Theres plenty of mountain land for sale for small money.
    But the thing is, theres not alot you can do with it.
    No ploughing reseeding fertilizer etc.

Different type of farming altogether.
    I'll post up a pic after its sold

Best of luck HillFarmer, it sounds small money but remember if it dosn't make it for you, you'll have to make it for it!

Advertisement