Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunbeds!! Bad r Good??

• 11-01-2012 1:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13

last year during the summer i did sunbed throughout , an plan to this summer too .. was jus wonderin are they really that bad for u?? Dont doctors advise you t use them if u have achney?? I just hate being white and feel great wen i step out of a sunbed!!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Personally, I don't think they're worth the risk, or potential of risk.

If you insist on using them, I'd just advise to read all the cautions and guidelines for safer tanning.

Some information from the World Health Organisation can be found here.

I know fake tan is a pain to do, but if it can save your health well then it's worth the time. I don't wear tan at all and am super pale, I've learned to live with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

melanie 92 wrote: »
    last year during the summer i did sunbed throughout , an plan to this summer too .. was jus wonderin are they really that bad for u??
    yes they really, really are.
    Dont doctors advise you t use them if u have achney??

No they really,really don't. You might be thinking of the treatment of certain skin conditions like psoriasis with special medical UV lightbox treatment, which is completely different technology and administered by a medical professional only.
    I just hate being white and feel great wen i step out of a sunbed!!
    I'm sure you might feel great, but along with smoking and drinking to extreme, sun beds are known to cause cancer. Known. No ifs or buts. Skin cancer sucks Melanie and getting even a mole removed can be painful, imagine how awful cancer treatment would be. And you don't have to be old to get it, I have a friend that had a cancerous mole removed in her teens. She stopped sun worshipping after that. It just makes good long term sense that if you value your quality of life and health, either use fake tan or embrace the pale.;)

Everybody likes Melanie, nobody likes melanoma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Eviledna wrote: »
    Everybody likes Melanie, nobody likes melanoma.

lol, excellent.

As previously said, you are far safer going down the fake tan route. Its just not worth the health risks, cost and skin aging.

I'd recommend Loreal Sublime Bronze for a low cost and natural looking tan. It has a lovely golden brown shade and smells quite nice. I use it regularly, and always get compliments on how it looks. They stock it in Debehams and Boots but I find that you can get it far cheaper in places like Tesco or your local chemist. I normally pay €13 for 150ml which lasts ages.

Fake Bake is a pricier option (think its about €40 for 170ml). My friend swears by it. It always looks very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 melanie 92

true true u guys are right sssooooooo im off out tonight aaaannnd i bought myself a nice bottle of st tropais:) gonna apply it later hopefully it turns out nice an comes off nice too:D i suppose im irish ,,im supposed to be white:D guess il wait till my hols to get a ''real'' tan:) thanks peps!!!:)))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

I think they need to be banned, for real. It's disgraceful they're not regulated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Its a scandal that sunbeds are allowed at all, given the dangers associated with their use, especially for children/teens, but an even bigger scandal is that the use of tanning salons attracts a VAT rate of 13.5%, while sun screen to protect you from damage by the sun is hit by 23% VAT.

So despite our high rates of skin cancer(its the most common type of cancer here) and despite campaigns to encourage people to be careful in the sun and protect themselves from sun damage, the creams/lotions that you use to protect yourself from sun damage are taxed nearly twice as heavily as the use of tanning salons. :confused: Surely it should be the other way around and you could argue that high protection factor sunscreen/lotion should be VAT exempt to encourage its more regular and widespread use.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Not to be rude but from your spelling I'm taking a guess that you aren't old enough to be using sun beds?

Acne and sunbeds would be a bad mixture like sunbeds and any skin. The risk of cancer is too high especially at a young age. It really is just between being tan for the summer and increasing your risk of cancer or just accept being pale and use fake tan!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 essexgal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Minier81

The World Health Organisation classifies sunbed as a group one carcinogen, putting them in the same league as asbestos, tobacco smoking and radioactive materials.
    See http://www.iarc.fr/en/media-centre/i...vradiation.php

So yes - they are VERY bad for you.

Also you will look like a leather handbag in 10 years if you use them!!!!! Stick to the bottle tan and you'll look fab now and when you're older :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

There's a huge percentage of people of all ages, who simply die in bed. Dies this mean that going to bed is one of the most dangerous things one can do? Smoking kills, but you'd be most unlucky to get lung cancer from 1 cigarette. It tends to be abuse or overuse of ciggies over a period that kills. Likewise, drinking to excess is bad for the liver, but a drink or two a week probably wont.

sunbeds are similar. the odd dose won't do any harm, but over use/abuse will.

Its the same as lying out in the sun. if you lie out every day, then its bad, if you lie out for a few days in the summer, the happy hormones flow.

We need to keep everything in balance.

Anyone unfortunate enough to have cancer of the lung, will say NEVER smoke; any unfortunate with cancer of the liver will say NEVER drink and anyone who has skin cancer will say NEVER use sunbeds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement