Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Books

Options
  • 11-01-2012 1:24am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I got a Kindle for Christmas so will be downloading some amazon free classics to look through.
    My reading list usually has several books that I've read before- comfort reads. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

First two books were 'Clover' and 'In the High Valley.'
    They're the last two books of the 'What Katy Did' series. This was a favourite of mine as a child but the last two books were out of print. I stumbled across them when downloading my classics and was sidetracked, in a lovely and nostalgic way! :o

After seeing a thread here on 'Room' by Emma Donoghue, I thought I'd download it onto my Kindle. But, I seen it in the Bargain Basement of Hodges Figgis for €4.99 so decided to buy the 'real' version.
    Several reviewers here on boards have said they don't like the ending- that it seems rushed and haphazard, so let's see..

Finished "Room"- I really enjoyed it! I think I actually preferred the second half to the first, unlike some people.
    Spoiler:
    I felt so bad for Jack when Ma tried to kill herself.. especially since the Grandma didn't seem to great at dealing with him. I'm glad it ended on a positive note, I think I'd have been seriously depressed otherwise!

I certainly found it a book to be read in one or two sittings- once I got past page 100, I knew I wouldn't put it down until I got to the conclusion!
    Stayed up until after 3am finishing it. :(

Looking through '10 to read before the apocalypse?' for inspiration and it's reminded me to put Joseph Heller's 'Catch 22' on my TO READ list.
    It's so handy being able to download books at my whim.. and dangerous! :eek: :pac:

In the middle of reading 'Her Fearful Symmetry' by Audrey Niffenegger now.

• Advertisement

I really want to go and see London's Highgate Cemetary now- looks fascinating!

Really sad, strange ending to that book but with a feeling of hope.

Have to decide what's next now.

An odd choice- but I have a strange hankering to re-read 'The Borrowers.'
    I dimly recall reading it as a small child and finding it sad. I'd like to re-read it from an adult's perspective. :)

Decided to download The Borrowers for my kindle. Aw. It's such a sweet little book. A child living in a confined environment, yearning to be free and subseqently having a big adventure and meeting strange people from another land was a theme I never tired off as a child. :)
    And it's illustrated. I didn't know my kindle could do that! :o

Right. Finished 'The Borrowers'. Now, I really must read a book that's not written for children! :D
    (The Kindle is great for not having to root through piles of dusty boxes in the attic to take a trip down memory lane though!!)

• Advertisement

Right- another book. Aaargh, I don't know what to read!!

Damn Kindle, I got sidetracked by the free sequal to 'The Borrowers' which came as part of the first book so had to read it since it was right there!
    Yaay, glad they found the other family and more borrowers. :)

Right, really have to find an adult's book now- I'm going to have the reading list of a nine year old! :o

I'm currently reading the 'Sherlock Holmes' stories by Arthur Conan Doyle.
    I went to 221B Baker Street last year in London and have been hooked on the BBC series so now leafing through all the stories, both the ones I'm familiar with and unfamiliar with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Did you pay to go into that museum on Baker Street? I was more fascinated by The Beatles memorabilia shop next door to the place, truth be told. However, it's great to see a renewed interest in Holmes. No small thanks has to go to Guy Ritchie and Downey though.

I haven't seen any of those 'Holmes' films- any renewed interest I have would be purely down to the BBC adaptation, which looks a lot better judging by the trailers I've seen.
    Yes, I went to the Holmes museum- it was great. :)

I didn't even know there was a Beatles memorabilia shop around there, but I'm not a fan so I wouldn't have gone to it anyway!

Okay, I have read LOADS of Holmes... have to decide on what is next!! :)

I have downloaded a book about the Donner party from my Kindle.
    Will post the details when I go and get it. :)

I got distracted last night from my Donner Party book by re-reading a free version of 'Heidi' on my kindle.
    What the heck is the matter with me??! :o

Actually things have been stressful lately for me, with lots of milestones, work worries and big life/career decisions going on.
    I think re-reading old childhood favourites is just for comfort, taking me back to a simpler, happy time. :)
    I will read a grown up book tonight, I swear!! :D

Oh, and the Donner Party book is
    'History of the Donner Party: A Tragedy in the Sierra' by C.F McGlashan.
    Looks like a cheery read! :p

Dear God, this book makes for grim reading!! :eek:

• Advertisement

Oh- and here comes the cannibalism. Nice.

Done with the Donner Party book.
    Plan for next book: Less disturbing.

... or at least disturbing and fictional. ;)

Reading 'Timequake' by Kurt Vonnegut now. It's to try and keep away from rereading 'Slaughterhouse Five' for about the fiftieth time. :o

Aaah, I love Kurt Vonnegut.
    The idea of living a period of time over again is not a new one, but the idea of not having the free will to change anything is a great one.
    I must find a book of his I haven't read and make it my next choice. :)

Reading 'The Liar' by Stephen Fry now. Got it in Chapters for 4 euro, not too bad. Only 1 chapter in so far so will report back later. :)

To satisfy my love of Vonnegut, I bought God Bless you Mister Rosewater by Kurt Vonnegut in the Dublin Bookstore the other week. It is next on my list following The Liar.

I must confess that I haven't used my Kindle in about two months, oops. :(

After these two books are finished I will download another e-book- The problem is that I am trying not to use my credit card so if I have a tenner and see a book and buy it grand, but I don't like putting a book on a bill that I will have to pay sometime in the future. The pricing in dollars annoys me too! :o

Okay, due to extreme business at work and an exam to study for next week, I haven't had a chance to finish my book yet.
    But I will and I will be back to say how it was! :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement