Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Retirement numbers

• 11-01-2012 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Read this article the other day and was surprised that more teachers were not planning to take early retirement.

With the ratio change from guidance counsellors, as well as existing teachers with some hours in a school being bumped up, does this essentially mean that there will not be many opportunities for NQTs this year?

Or am I missing something?

Are these numbers only for teachers going in February and NOT continuing on until June?

http://irishexaminer.ie/ireland/7000-public-workers-apply-to-retire-179097.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Those would be figures for anyone retiring in February. Those teachers have the choice to leave and not come back, or to retire but be rehired, as a sub basically until June on the new scale of pay to ensure continuity of their classes. Whether they take up this offer or not shouldn't affect the number quoted for February retirements.

It's about 1 teacher retiring for two-thirds of all second level schools. It's a lot of people but realistically it's not a huge number of jobs. Some hours will be swallowed up by the guidance counsellors and some will go to teachers on part time hours. There will be some jobs, but probably not the 465 full time positions (assuming all teachers retiring are permanent and on full hours) quoted in the article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

It's about 1 teacher retiring for two-thirds of all second level schools. It's a lot of people but realistically it's not a huge number of jobs. Some hours will be swallowed up by the guidance counsellors and some will go to teachers on part time hours. There will be some jobs, but probably not the 465 full time positions (assuming all teachers retiring are permanent and on full hours) quoted in the article.
    Chances are a lot of those retiring aren't on full teaching hours either given that a lot of teachers of an age where they might want to retire probably have posts of responsibility and a lot of those posts will be absorbed in other teachers' posts of responsibility in the same school given the moratorium on A/B posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Yup and unfortunately NQTs will be competing against teachers out 4-7 years and still not permanent for these positions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

What % of secondary teachers drop out of the profession before reaching retirement age?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Nolanger wrote: »
    What % of secondary teachers drop out of the profession before reaching retirement age?
    In my experience, not that many, apart from people who get a serious illness. I don't know any official figures, apart from the frightennig statistic that for male teachers who stay till full retirement age, the average life expectancy is 3 years. I personally knew four male teachers who were all dead within a year of retiring, one poor man didn't even get to spend his first pension cheque.

I have been teaching 25+ years and worked in three schools and in that time I have known one full-time Home Ec. teacher who switched career into horticulture, one part-time Woodwork teacher who went to America to be a carpenter and one part-time English and Geography teacher who started a tour bus company.

I'm sure among 'Dippers' who can't get hours and casual part-time people the numbers are probably higher, but once they are gone from the school we rarely hear what they are doing. The rest of us plod on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

spurious wrote: »
    In my experience, not that many, apart from people who get a serious illness. I don't know any official figures, apart from the frightennig statistic that for male teachers who stay till full retirement age, the average life expectancy is 3 years. I personally knew four male teachers who were all dead within a year of retiring, one poor man didn't even get to spend his first pension cheque.

I have been teaching 25+ years and worked in three schools and in that time I have known one full-time Home Ec. teacher who switched career into horticulture, one part-time Woodwork teacher who went to America to be a carpenter and one part-time English and Geography teacher who started a tour bus company.

I'm sure among 'Dippers' who can't get hours and casual part-time people the numbers are probably higher, but once they are gone from the school we rarely hear what they are doing. The rest of us plod on.

wow, scary stuff:eek: do you have any further info on those stats? any links? just interested in reading more on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

trihead wrote: »
    wow, scary stuff:eek: do you have any further info on those stats? any links? just interested in reading more on it.

I will try find the document it came from. I know it was something TUI (possibly with the other unions) got drawn up a few years ago in consultation with actuaries.

They were addressing the need for pre-retirement planning as it was often the case that while female retirees saw retirement as a chance to get on with things work prevented them having time for, many men had 'lost their sense of purpose' when they stopped working and this led to higher mortality rates. I remember the numbers were dramatically different for male teachers who retired before they 'had' to, either through early retirement, or going before they reached 65.

Advertisement